Andy Serkis IS Alfred Pennyworth

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by Invader Joker, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

Hell yeah dude

2. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

The fact that Andy Serkis hasn't gotten an oscar nomination yet is criminal.

metaphysician likes this.
  3. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

Maybe he will get best director for Venom: Let There Be Carnage

Rick190293 likes this.
  4. Boom I got nothin'

[​IMG]

5. JubJub86 Registered

Eww, nobody wants to see Serkis' Smeagol.

6. GothamCity Registered

Great actor, he could also be a good pinguin.

7. Sawyer High King

Like Serkis’s look here.

8. Bruce Wayne obligatory anime seizure attack!

I don't think I'm feeling this version, sadly. His Alfred just seems too young compared to what I'm used to.

WatchProtect likes this.
  9. DKDetective Elementary, Dear Robin (he/him/his)

Agreed, I quite like the use of a tab collar (or is it a pin?). Very stylish. It harkens back to the 1930s/40s and further supports the film noir aesthetic.

Rick190293 likes this.
  10. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

Reminds me of someone...

[​IMG]

WatchProtect likes this.
  11. DOBSON10 Custom User Title

I didn't care for most of the casting when they were announced (I was always OK with Pattinson/Farrell, the rest not so much) but after seeing the trailer, I think he's the one I will warm upto the most.

12. DKDetective Elementary, Dear Robin (he/him/his)

Only on the superficial level of a younger Alfred in shirtsleeves and waistcoat... The Reeves outfit has a lot more layers and depth, like vintage details like a tab collar on the shirt and shawl lapels on the waistcoat.

I also think Serkis' Alfred is wearing a British military regimental tie.

13. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

I meant more his vibe, tv wardrobe budgets don't allow for such fancy dress!

14. AndrewGilkison Registered

Pattinson's Batman is young and still in the early days of his run, so having a younger looking Alfred actually makes sense. Matches with Year One Alfred or most panels showing Batman's early days where his hair and mustache are still black.

15. DKDetective Elementary, Dear Robin (he/him/his)

Of course, taking into account TV budget,

It's like...
    [​IMG]
    And...
    [​IMG]

Young Bruce Wayne at the start of his journey as Batman wearing a Bat-inspired cape and cowl and black/grey tactical armour. :oldrazz:

16. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

Truly do not understand the Gotham suit. Would think you would try a little harder on the final shot of your show.

17. Rick190293 Registered

Gotham's final shot defines everything I found bad about the show: so.much.cringy.

18. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

Serkis looks so badass!

19. JubJub86 Registered

Kinda hard to get a read on it so far, from so little, but think I'm digging it. It does make sense that he'd be 50s (at least as much sense as him being elderly, in that there's no real reason the family's butler would be like Gough/Caine age), around a 30-something Bruce's parent's age.

Does seem he's probably ex-military, although not sure what I'm basing that on, just general presence or whatever. I do like his open disapproval/warnings about Bruce's crusade, a little more terse about it than Caine's grandfatherly-warnings-and-guidance-but-basically-going-along-with-it (until TDKR or course). This guy seems some mix of Irons and Pertwee, I think for this 'verse that could fit really nicely.

Luke995 and DKDetective like this.
  20. DKDetective Elementary, Dear Robin (he/him/his)

Agreed. It doesn't make sense for Alfred to be older than 50s or early 60s at the latest at this point in Batman's career (especially if you want him around to see Robin mature into Nightwing, etc.) I mean BTAS had their Alfred with jet black hair during the Year 1 flashbacks in Mask of the Phantasm:
    [​IMG]

Personally, I don't get the Irons vibe from Serkis. I don't know, we haven't seen or heard much from him but I get a lot more familial warmth from Serkis than Irons, just a bit more youthful and assertive than say Caine and Gough... I guess more fatherly than grandfatherly?

21. WatchProtect Registered

Peewee has been my favorite interpretation of Alfred and I'm getting a lot of the same vibes so I'm very much looking forward to this

22. JubJub86 Registered

I actually didn't hate Irons though, about the only part of that Snyder interpretation I could stand. You're right that Serkis does seem a little more warm though, like I don't think the sarcasm'll be there this time.

And yeah, loved Pertwee. For all the (rightful in some instances) hate Gotham gets, there's so much stuff about it they just nailed too.

23. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

Irons did have some good humor though. He was a very solid Alfred in an interpretation I didn't care much for. He didn't get the chance to do the emotional powerhouse stuff that Caine did, but he definitely clearly wanted the best for Bruce and was trying to desparately to anchor him. I bought it. And, I do think he and Affleck had a nice chemistry.

I'm hoping Serkis will bring some of the classic witty banter and levity. Pattinson seems SO ultra-emo that I'm not even sure if he's going to have any sense of humor whatsoever. Hope I'm wrong.

How confident are we that Alfred is going to be the one who trained him in this version? It does seem to be drawing a lot of inspiration from Earth One. And I do not get the vibe that Pattinson's Bruce is going to be someone who's traveled the world.

24. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

He has the scar around his eye. I wonder if they’ll address it or it’ll just be a piece of character building. I kinda hope it’s just there.

25. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

Burma.