Andy Serkis IS Alfred Pennyworth

Scarred by fruit?! This Alfred's not worldly & badass after all!

Mrs Doubtfire would make a hell of an Alfred. Stealing the hood ornaments from Falcone's/Maroni's/Thorne's Bentleys, outdoing Ventriloquist at his own silly-voice game. Taking down bag-snatchers in the street.

Step aside, Andy.

Kinda hard to get a read on it so far, from so little, but think I'm digging it. It does make sense that he'd be 50s (at least as much sense as him being elderly, in that there's no real reason the family's butler would be like Gough/Caine age), around a 30-something Bruce's parent's age.

Does seem he's probably ex-military, although not sure what I'm basing that on, just general presence or whatever. I do like his open disapproval/warnings about Bruce's crusade, a little more terse about it than Caine's grandfatherly-warnings-and-guidance-but-basically-going-along-with-it (until TDKR or course). This guy seems some mix of Irons and Pertwee, I think for this 'verse that could fit really nicely.
I forgot to respond to this above, but I very much agree that Serkis' Alfred has a very military character to him.

I mentioned above in brief, but the tie that Serkis is wearing looks a lot like some form of British military regimental tie. British veterans are permitted to wear ties in civilian life that have particular colours/patterns that represent their unit (For instance, in some Bond films, Roger Moore wears the Royal Navy tie with his suits that Bond is entitled to wear as a naval commander). I checked databases of unit ties and, as far as I can tell, it is not a tie for an actual unit, but the style in terms of the colours and stripes are very evocative of British regimental ties for those in the know. I suspect it is meant to be a fictional one.

Whoa, look at you Mr Fancy-Clued-in-Fashion-Pants. :oldrazz: Cool detail though. :up: Yeah, seems pretty standard these days that ol' Alfie's former SAS or commando or whatever, certainly wouldn't be surprising Matt would continue it.

Whoa, look at you Mr Fancy-Clued-in-Fashion-Pants. :oldrazz: Cool detail though. :up: Yeah, seems pretty standard these days that ol' Alfie's former SAS or commando or whatever, certainly wouldn't be surprising Matt would continue it.
The costume designer Reeves is using, Jacqueline Durran, is ****ing brilliant (has won two Oscars) and is amazing at adding a lot of story and character details through her work. For instance, both of Oswald's costumes we have seen in depth, his suit at the mayor's funeral and his tuxedo at the Iceberg Lounge, are based subtle variations on the Penguin's classic comics colour scheme of black and purple.

It’s a flashlight but I will hold out hope it’s a vape

The new Total Film cover is actually one of Alfred’s big vape clouds.

Last edited:
I love the idea of Alfred as a character

"...I've been an intelligence agent and/or soldier, time to leave a life of violence behind and take a cosy and peaceful job caring for the estate of my rich best friend..."

TIMESKIP

"...Oh bother..."

Also I hope this Alfred has al the past jobs there were for him:

Soldier, combat medic, spy, actor, voice coach...

I mean, I wouldn't go too far over the top. . . well, unless you want to lean in hard. "No, Alfred Pennyworth certainly didn't use to work for MI6, and he *definitely* didn't use to have a number preceded by two zeroes instead of a name. Not at all."

I love the idea of Alfred as a character

"...I've been an intelligence agent and/or soldier, time to leave a life of violence behind and take a cosy and peaceful job caring for the estate of my rich best friend..."

TIMESKIP

"...Oh bother..."

Also I hope this Alfred has al the past jobs there were for him:

Soldier, combat medic, spy, actor, voice coach...

I mean, I wouldn't go too far over the top. . . well, unless you want to lean in hard. "No, Alfred Pennyworth certainly didn't use to work for MI6, and he *definitely* didn't use to have a number preceded by two zeroes instead of a name. Not at all."
There was an explicit reference to this Alfred working for MI6. When he worked on the cypher for Bruce, he said he was "reminiscing about [his] time at the Circus."

The "Circus" was the insider slang name for MI6 used in John Le Carrie's famous George Smiley spy novels. In accordance with Reeves' tastes for other influences on The Batman, they are serious, grounded 70s thrillers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philippe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"