Anna Borden and Ryan Fleck are the Directors

All hail Point Break, that most substantially substantialest substantial thing of things!

Seeing how hugely successful Guardians of the Galaxy was, would you want James Gunn to direct Captain Marvel? Would the film require a more serious director? Would the movie need a more serious tone for the type of movie needed?

Seeing how hugely successful Guardians of the Galaxy was, would you want James Gunn to direct Captain Marvel? Would the film require a more serious director? Would the movie need a more serious tone for the type of movie needed?

No. After that superhero sex post and how horribly he wrote Gamora, I wouldn't want him on a female led project. Toss in the general lack of polish I felt Guardians had and my other issues, I don't want him near it.

Yeah, as much as I enjoyed Guardians, based on his work thus far and previous comments he's made, I wouldn't trust James Gunn with a female lead.

I'll still take Doug Liman or Brad Bird please.

No. After that superhero sex post and how horribly he wrote Gamora, I wouldn't want him on a female led project. Toss in the general lack of polish I felt Guardians had and my other issues, I don't want him near it.

Superhero sex post?

Superhero sex post?

Am I allowed to quote some of the stuff he typed out on here? I'm not sure if that'd get me banned. All I'll say is google "James Gunn superhero sex post." The article from LadyGeekGirl has quotes, it's on page 1 of Google. It includes such highlights as him wanting Tony Stark to sleep with Batwoman to make her straight, racist slurs thrown at Gambit, and more.

Am I allowed to quote some of the stuff he typed out on here? I'm not sure if that'd get me banned. All I'll say is google "James Gunn superhero sex post." The article from LadyGeekGirl has quotes, it's on page 1 of Google. It includes such highlights as him wanting Tony Stark to sleep with Batwoman to make her straight, racist slurs thrown at Gambit, and more.

Yeah. I just read about it on the Mary Sue blog. Yeah, I don't think he should direct Captain Marvel. It was just a thought since I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy so much. To be air to Gamora's portrayal in that movie, she didn't fall to Peter's pelvic sorcery, and she did roll her eyes when he kind of bragged about saving her life.

James Funn did apologize for the blog, but it could have been him saving face and trying to avoid controversy. Who knows?

http://www.avclub.com/article/emguardians-of-the-galaxyem-director-james-gunn-is-89306

TBH. Id rather they go for a female director. I don't know if any good ones other than Kathryn Bigalow.

Yeah. I just read about it on the Mary Sue blog. Yeah, I don't think he should direct Captain Marvel. It was just a thought since I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy so much. To be air to Gamora's portrayal in that movie, she didn't fall to Peter's pelvic sorcery, and she did roll her eyes when he kind of bragged about saving her life.

James Funn did apologize for the blog, but it could have been him saving face and trying to avoid controversy. Who knows?

http://www.avclub.com/article/emguardians-of-the-galaxyem-director-james-gunn-is-89306

TBH. Id rather they go for a female director. I don't know if any good ones other than Kathryn Bigalow.

I have a number of complaints for Gamora, however not the thread for that.

When it comes to good female directors (not necessarily Captain Marvel appropriate):
-Jennifer Kent (The Babadook, Monster)
-Lone Scherfig (An Education, One Day, The Riot Club)
-Sofia Coppola (Lost in Translation, The Virgin Suicides, Marie Antoinette)
-Mary Harron (American Psycho, I Shot Andy Warhol)
-Julie Taymor (Across the Universe, The Tempest, Titus)
-Michelle McLauren (Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Better Call Saul, The Walking Dead) obviously though she's taken
-Drew Barrymore (Whip It)
-Sarah Polley (Stories We Tell, Take This Waltz, Away From Her)

Last edited:
^

That James Gunn post was completely satirical in intent. Down to the title, which was a mockery of the dozens of click-baity "Top 15 So And So" type articles that the geek internet craps out on a daily basis.

Yes, it was in poor taste, and yes, it wasn't funny since the joke was stretched way too thin... but I find the fact that he was dragged through the mud for satirizing the misogyny and homophobia that's rampant within comic book culture to be absurd and extremely ironic.

Also, I found Gamora's characterization in GOTG quite charming. Not sure what the issue is on that front. To make a blanket statement that he shouldn't be allowed direct a female-led movie is somewhat misguided. Then again, this is hardly the forum to discuss Gunn and/or GOTG. (EDIT: Missed that you had alluded to the same thing in your post above. Agree to disagree, then?)

That said, even if he were available, which in all probability isn't the case, I don't think he would be the right director for a Carol Danvers movie. My pick from day 1 was Michelle McLaren. And from day 1, my primary worry was that she'll get snatched up by WB/DC for Wonder Woman. Guess what...

Next time, be quicker on the trigger, Feige. :)

Last edited:
I think the most important thing Marvel will look for in a potential director is the love of this character -- a burning desire to make the best possible Captain Marvel movie. You can almost feel Gunn's enthusiasm for the Guardians (esp. Rocket), or Whedon's for the Avengers. Or the Russo's for Cap. That's probably why they stuck with Wright for so long on Ant Man, and why Reed was a good replacement. People like that just get so excited that they pour themselves completely into the project and do the absolute best they can do.

As a counterexample, Whedon has never expressed that same level of enthusiasm for Carol, so at this point, he would not be a good choice (even ignoring his desire to take for a bit and do something personal).

So Marvel just needs to find someone who is super-excited for the project -- not just because they want a job directing a big blockbuster, but because they genuinely love the characters -- and they should get great results.

As a counterexample, Whedon has never expressed that same level of enthusiasm for Carol, so at this point, he would not be a good choice (even ignoring his desire to take for a bit and do something personal).
I agree. I'll admit to being a total Whedonite, but I don't want him to work on a character he doesn't care about. He's demonstrated on more than one occasion in interviews that he does NOT care about Carol Danvers and isn't even familiar with her current incarnation at all. Now, if in the couple years, on one of his reading binges he goes on from time to time, he discovers Kelly Sue's run and realizes what he's been missing out on, then sure I'd love him to take on Captain Marvel. But that's pretty unlikely, and just because his sensibilities fit the character well enough doesn't mean he'd do a good job if his heart's not in it.

Some talented filmmaker out there HAS to have picked up some comics and discovered what a great character Carol has become, especially with all the buzz just the announcement of the movie has gotten and being Marvel's 1st female movie lead, so I want someone to step up and say, "I love this character and I know exactly how this movie should be done." And hell, even if they haven't read it yet, this is a HUGE, potentially career-changing gig that a lot of filmmakers would chomp at the bit for, so some might read it just to have a better shot at getting the job, and in the process, hopefully fall in love with it. Joss probably won't be one of those people just because he's got a lot on his plate already and doesn't exactly need the work.

I think the most important thing Marvel will look for in a potential director is the love of this character -- a burning desire to make the best possible Captain Marvel movie. You can almost feel Gunn's enthusiasm for the Guardians (esp. Rocket), or Whedon's for the Avengers. Or the Russo's for Cap. That's probably why they stuck with Wright for so long on Ant Man, and why Reed was a good replacement. People like that just get so excited that they pour themselves completely into the project and do the absolute best they can do.

So Marvel just needs to find someone who is super-excited for the project -- not just because they want a job directing a big blockbuster, but because they genuinely love the characters -- and they should get great results.

Agreed on all points. Whoever directs Captain Marvel, I hope he or she really wants to make the best Captain Marvel movie.

I'm still feeling Roxann Dawson could be a solid choice for director. She has directed a few episodes of Agents of SHIELD so she is already connected to Marvel, plus she knows how to work with special and visual effects. I'm curious if she would bring a lot of passion for Carol Danvers. That's vital.

According to Jeff Sneider, Marvel is looking for a female director.

I'm on board for Gina Prince-Bythewood after watching how she handled BEYOND THE LIGHTS. She took a familiar premise and imbued the work with great style and FANTASTIC performances from her cast. So. Good. GOD!

Also, yes to:
Patty Jenkins
Kathryn Bigelow
Jennifer Yuh (Sue me but I liked KFP II)
JULIE TAYMOR (Oh my God, but the visuals would be sumptuous!)
Jennifer Lee (Don't tell me to LET IT GO! ;) )
Sam Taylor-Johnson (She's married to MCU's Quicksilver, so there's a connection. And she can spin **** into gold! I'd like to see what she could do with a big budget and a decent story).
Catherine Hardwicke (I feel like she was done dirty on the Twilight series. I want her back in the movie industry with a statement!)

Sometimes I side eye Jeff Sneinder but I wouldn't be shocked if Marvel were looking for a female director. And no that doesn't mean that they aren't trying get the best possible fit and that doesn't mean that they won't change their minds. They did almost have a woman direct The Dark World so we know they aren't averse to the idea.

I'm on board for Gina Prince-Bythewood after watching how she handled BEYOND THE LIGHTS. She took a familiar premise and imbued the work with great style and FANTASTIC performances from her cast. So. Good. GOD!

Also, yes to:
Patty Jenkins
Kathryn Bigelow
Jennifer Yuh (Sue me but I liked KFP II)
JULIE TAYMOR (Oh my God, but the visuals would be sumptuous!)
Jennifer Lee (Don't tell me to LET IT GO! ;) )
Sam Taylor-Johnson (She's married to MCU's Quicksilver, so there's a connection. And she can spin **** into gold! I'd like to see what she could do with a big budget and a decent story).
Catherine Hardwicke (I feel like she was done dirty on the Twilight series. I want her back in the movie industry with a statement!)

Lee and Bigelow are likely out. Lee's working on the Frozen sequel and, unless I'm mistaken, Bigelow's said she's not interested in doing a comic book movie. Or at least I think I recall that...might be wrong. I'd love her if they could get her, however I don't see it happening. Taymor or Taylor-Johnson sound at least semi-realistic, especially the latter, and both of them I would be very enthusiastic to see in the director chair. :woot: Taymor, as you said, has gorgeous visuals and Taylor-Johnson's direction was one of the very very few good qualities of 50 Shades of Grey. I haven't seen her other film though, but I'm planning to sometime. :)

Sometimes I side eye Jeff Sneinder but I wouldn't be shocked if Marvel were looking for a female director. And no that doesn't mean that they aren't trying get the best possible fit and that doesn't mean that they won't change their minds. They did almost have a woman direct The Dark World so we know they aren't averse to the idea.

I'd partially be surprised if they didn't, to be honest. DC going with a female director pretty early on in their universe might give them a little bit of pressure to actually lock one down (of course, obviously T:TDW doesn't qualify). At least for some good publicity.

Nowhere Boy is a very good film, imo, and I didn't see 50SoG and probably won't be doing so any time soon, but it sounds like Sam Taylor-Johnson worked some kind of miracles with it. I wouldn't be opposed to her getting a shot at this.

Nowhere Boy is a very good film, imo, and I didn't see 50SoG and probably won't be doing so any time soon, but it sounds like Sam Taylor-Johnson worked some kind of miracles with it. I wouldn't be opposed to her getting a shot at this.

I wouldn't say she was able to do that, but it clearly wasn't her fault. She and the lead actress whose name escapes me seemed to be trying to do a good job, but they also knew what they were working with and she was getting screwed over by the writer of the book who for some reason got way too much control over the film.

Well I didn't mean to imply it sounded like she made it a good movie, but most of the criticisms I read of it also noted that the direction and visuals were actually way better than the story deserved.

Well I didn't mean to imply it sounded like she made it a good movie, but most of the criticisms I read of it also noted that the direction and visuals were actually way better than the story deserved.

Oh, sorry. My bad. :) Probably should have realized.

Nah, I didn't word it very well. But yeah, bottom line, I think she's a good director. I'd prefer a director with some action or VFX experience for this, but she's one I'd be willing to give the benefit of the doubt if she got the gig.

I'd partially be surprised if they didn't, to be honest. DC going with a female director pretty early on in their universe might give them a little bit of pressure to actually lock one down (of course, obviously T:TDW doesn't qualify). At least for some good publicity.
Well Hollywood definitely cares about good publicity that's for sure.

Before I wasn't so sure about whether Marvel would hire a female director, I thought they'd get a female writer at least. I'm coming around to thinking they will indeed hire a female director.

Sam Taylor Johnson deserves a reward for having to deal with E.L James that's for sure.

I wouldn't say she was able to do that, but it clearly wasn't her fault. She and the lead actress whose name escapes me seemed to be trying to do a good job, but they also knew what they were working with and she was getting screwed over by the writer of the book who for some reason got way too much control over the film.

The direction and Dakota Johnson were the absolute best things about the otherwise dreadful 50SoG. I tried reading the book, like TWILIGHT, but could only get through about 8 chapters before basically doing the octopus NOPE gif on it. Thankfully, it was an ebook copy from my library. I honestly have no idea how people read this book, or how it became so popular. MY FREAKIN' MOTHER IN LAW told me to read it, to give a little "spice" in my marriage.

*insert face-melting gif here*

*Ahem*

Anyways, yes STJ is very talented. She did wonders with a horror show, and yeah, actually, if Dakota Johnson was just a little older, I might have suggested her for Carol Danvers. I think she could do assertive. She certainly gave Ana a backbone, moreso than the book ever did.

And yeah, I'd almost do a For Your Consideration campaign for Taylor-Johnson for what she had to put up with while working on 50 Shades. I'm not looking forward to the sequels at all now that she's definitely not returning. Poor Dakota.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"