Annette Bening is The Supreme Intelligence

Once we heard the SI was going to be an actual person rather than a giant head in a container like the comics, this was pretty obvious

She wasn’t who I was expecting in the role but she was amazing! So creepy with the eyes!

I can’t wait to see the proper big goopy supreme intelligence in a sequel

Annette freaked me out but in a good way...she reminded me in some ways like David Bowie with the eyes and the hair

They de-aged her in the flashbacks didn't they? I didn't even notice.

My least favorite part of the movie is what they did with both characters. Total letdown.

They de-aged her in the flashbacks didn't they? I didn't even notice.
Did they? I figured she'd have been the same age since
she died in 1989 and only existed in Carol's vision of the supreme intelligence after that point

Then I wonder if Annette her character is a one off or if she will be back for the sequel

How exactly would that even work?

Wendy Lawsom/Mar-Vell is still dead, and the Supreme Intelligence doesn't really have a good reason to manifest as her anymore.

Yeah there's no need for her to return. If anything I suspect that were the SI to converse with Carol again that it would manifest itself as someone else now. Perhaps Fury?

I will say... This was a criminally under cooked aspect of the film.

I'll put it right out there... The time dedicated to the forking cat could have been better served at fleshing out the relationship between Lawson and Carol. Make it a deep friendship and mentor thing. Instead, frankly, it's all on paper but not executed in a way that makes you believe in Lawson as the person Carol "most respected" etc. A waste of someone like Benning in what should have been a pivotal role.

But... Ya'know... There was cat so they couldn't be bothered to develop that important to the main character relationship.

Well obviously she has to come back because sooner or later you will need to cover carol’s mum. Plus we still haven’t seen the proper supreme intelligence

Well obviously she has to come back because sooner or later you will need to cover carol’s mum. Plus we still haven’t seen the proper supreme intelligence

What does Carol's mom have to do with anything? Benning wasn't her mother, she was a scientist developing experimental craft at Project Pegasus who was actually a renegade Kree in disguise.

So... Why would delving into Carol's mother include Benning returning?

Yep I reckon. In the comics they revealed carol’s mum is kree. So there’s got to be a connection between her and Benning’s character

Yep I reckon. In the comics they revealed carol’s mum is kree. So there’s got to be a connection between her and Benning’s character

Tis' a rather recent retcon and who knows if it will even still be the case when the sequel is written. Same with the way we had all those New 52 Changes that went to the wayside in the DC end.

The entirety of the film strayed from the origin as it was known for decades so I'm not sure it's a lock that something of such recent vintage is in the cards.

Frankly... It comes off convoluted.

Tis' a rather recent retcon and who knows if it will even still be the case when the sequel is written. Same with the way we had all those New 52 Changes that went to the wayside in the DC end.

The entirety of the film strayed from the origin as it was known for decades so I'm not sure it's a lock that something of such recent vintage is in the cards.

I agree with you and I am quite relieived that it wasn't in the film.

I reckon they did it to line it up eventually with the movie. I don’t think it’s that convoluted. We always see so much of fathers and sons, it’s good to do more with mothers and daughters. Would be cool to see daughters and sons and fathers and daughters too

I reckon they did it to line it up eventually with the movie. I don’t think it’s that convoluted. We always see so much of fathers and sons, it’s good to do more with mothers and daughters. Would be cool to see daughters and sons and fathers and daughters too

While I agree there is a dearth of "Mother quest" hero stories I still find the Kree mother thing convoluted. That other hero origins are also convoluted due to retcons etc. doesn't really absolve this of that particular sin.

Also... There's been quite a few changes in the comics that people REALLY assumed were meant to portend something in the MCU which didn't pan out. The idea of having Hela switch in for Mistress Death in the MCU was a popular one because they did a story with Hela and Thanos hooking up. Didn't turn out that way at all in Infinity War and as far as I know there's been not even the slightest evidence that Cate Blanchett is showing up in Endgame.

I'm not sure that you need a Kree connection beyond Marv-Ell/Lawson anyway. No one really needs to justify Peter Parker getting powers from the radioactive spider by saying his mom was part spider. Same here. Carol got her genes reconfigured by the Cube energy. It doesn't need to be more complex than that honestly.

Yeah there's no need for her to return. If anything I suspect that were the SI to converse with Carol again that it would manifest itself as someone else now. Perhaps Fury?

I will say... This was a criminally under cooked aspect of the film.

I'll put it right out there... The time dedicated to the ****ing cat could have been better served at fleshing out the relationship between Lawson and Carol. Make it a deep friendship and mentor thing. Instead, frankly, it's all on paper but not executed in a way that makes you believe in Lawson as the person Carol "most respected" etc. A waste of someone like Benning in what should have been a pivotal role.

But... Ya'know... There was cat so they couldn't be bothered to develop that important to the main character relationship.

While I don't think it was the cat's fault, I agree, and would go more broadly: in its pursuit of a weird, distinct story structure, the movie sacrificed character development and clarity. Overall, it would have been better if it had been just a more conventional origin story, because without the need for the non-linear "mystery" plot, you could have focused more on the specific characters and the development of their personalities and relationships.

Honestly if the Supreme Intelligence comes back (and it better!!!!), I'd like to just see it manifest its true form. We'd probably see what other Kree see if they converse with it, also. Like who Yon-Rogg sees and such. I don't think Benning has to come back to play the character in the future.

While I don't think it was the cat's fault, I agree, and would go more broadly: in its pursuit of a weird, distinct story structure, the movie sacrificed character development and clarity. Overall, it would have been better if it had been just a more conventional origin story, because without the need for the non-linear "mystery" plot, you could have focused more on the specific characters and the development of their personalities and relationships.
Agree to disagree. I don't blame the structure of the narrative for things like the underdeveloped sense of the relationship between Carol and Lawson/Marv-ell. I can't see how if the structure were markedly different/linear how that really automatically means more time for tmwhat should be THE pivotal relationship for our superhero protagonist.

I do think a couple more scenes of Lawson interacting with Carol would have helped flesh out that relationship to make it more apparent why she appeared in Carol's dreams and as the physical manifestation she saw in the Supreme Intelligence. Instead of Monica telling Carol about what occurred before that fateful final flight, they should have had Carol flashback to those moments and then also some banter between them before they got attacked by Yon-rogg during the test flight.

I do think a couple more scenes of Lawson interacting with Carol would have helped flesh out that relationship to make it more apparent why she appeared in Carol's dreams and as the physical manifestation she saw in the Supreme Intelligence. Instead of Monica telling Carol about what occurred before that fateful final flight, they should have had Carol flashback to those moments and then also some banter between them before they got attacked by Yon-rogg during the test flight.

Some scenes of Carol being brought into the project by Lawson and showing some real connection between the two would have gone a long way.

I suspect that Annette had limited availability on this project.

Eh... She hasn't led a big Hollywood production in a long time. I doubt that availability was an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"