Annette Bening is The Supreme Intelligence

Eh... She hasn't led a big Hollywood production in a long time. I doubt that availability was an issue.
I believe she was doing a play in NYC when they started filming so she was limited a bit.

I was pretty much "yep, it works" on the Supreme Intelligence stuff, exactly the type of actor you'd want for that. The Lawson/Mar-Vell stuff conversely just didn't sit well with me at all. Female Mar-Vell, hell yeah, no reason not to go that way. Just the whole engine thing clashed so hard with all the other Skrull stuff to me. Like..."they're technologically competitive with the Kree - even if they're losing the war, they have won victories and taken worlds off the Kree, the movie specifically says so - shouldn't they be able to travel between star systems in that case anyway? What's with this engine stuff?"

I was fine with Lady Mar-Vell, as giving Carol a female mentor was consistent with the pro feminist message that ran through the flick. They kept the key stuff about the character - Dr. Lawson was a Kree soldier operating undercover as an Air Force scientist, secretly working with the enemies of her people. I was pleasantly surprised the character wasn't eliminated altogether, and that Boden and Fleck retained so much of Ms. Danver's comic book origin.

I was hazy on the engine stuff as well, but my thinking is it would allow the Skrulls to travel long distances without using the gates shown in GOTG Vol 2 and Captain Marvel, allowing the refugees to avoid detection.

Last edited:
There's definite wiggle-room there, yeah. Like "it'd allow them to travel faster and further than what the Kree have now", but they didn't bother spending any time in a scripting sense to make that clear. Just felt really, really ill-conceived. Like you say, if they'd spelled it out, a couple of lines detailing it and not making it so open to interpretation, you might have been able to get on board with the importance more.

As it stands though, it's just like "they can already travel interstellar, not just orbital - they seem 500 years or so more advanced than humans, and not really any less than anything we see in Guardians with the Xandar types. They're advanced enough militarily to combat the Kree, even if they're losing overall. Buuuuuut...plot armor, whoo."

It's a small role but Annette Bening is class and brings lots of personality to her scenes in both forms.

I hope to see flashbacks in future films of her having past exploits and adventures, or at the very, very least have them mentioned.

I think they could do that very organically if they bring in
Phyla or Genis-Vell
in the sequels.

I think they could do that very organically if they bring in
Phyla or Genis-Vell
in the sequels.

What if...

Angelina Jolie is playing Elysius? Huh? Then you can get some story where she is used to introduce Genis and Phyla? (Although the Phyla origin from the books is SO convoluted... Not that Genis' is any better but... Well you had to have read the Genis era of Capt. Marvel books by David to get how crazy things got... But I digress...

Anyway... Would Marvel Studios go there with Elysius and Marv-Ell making babies what with the same sex aspect of the MCU version of Marv now? It would certainly show commitment to diversity.

As Marvel Fans and Mar-Vell fans, we are living in interesting times!

So "meh" on the Jolie thing. Still, if it pans out she'd sure be a "get" for Marvel, can see why they'd go for a huge name to front something a little more obscure like that.

What if...

Angelina Jolie is playing Elysius? Huh? Then you can get some story where she is used to introduce Genis and Phyla? (Although the Phyla origin from the books is SO convoluted... Not that Genis' is any better but... Well you had to have read the Genis era of Capt. Marvel books by David to get how crazy things got... But I digress...

Anyway... Would Marvel Studios go there with Elysius and Marv-Ell making babies what with the same sex aspect of the MCU version of Marv now? It would certainly show commitment to diversity.
I have my doubts they would go there, but that would certainly be interesting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"