Another hugging ban

zeptron

Superhero
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21690514/

Ill. student gets detention for hugging

MASCOUTAH, Ill. - Two hugs equals two days of detention for 13-year-old Megan Coulter. The eighth-grader was punished for violating a school policy banning public displays of affection when she hugged two friends Friday.

"I feel it is crazy," said Megan, who was to serve her second detention Tuesday after classes at Mascoutah Middle School.

"I was just giving them a hug goodbye for the weekend," she said.

Megan's mother, Melissa Coulter, said the embraces weren't even real hugs — just an arm around the shoulder and slight squeeze.

"It's hilarious to the point of ridicule," Coulter said. "I'm still dumbfounded that she's having to do this."

District Superintendent Sam McGowen said that he thinks the penalty is fair and that administrators in the school east of St. Louis were following policy in the student handbook.

It states: "Displays of affection should not occur on the school campus at any time. It is in poor taste, reflects poor judgment, and brings discredit to the school and to the persons involved."

Coulter said she and her husband told their daughter to go ahead and serve her detentions because the only other option was a day of suspension for each skipped detention.

"We don't agree with it, but I certainly don't want her to get in more trouble," Coulter said.

The couple plan to attend the next school board meeting to ask board members to consider rewording the policy or be more specific in what is considered a display of affection.

"I'm just hoping the school board will open their eyes and just realize that maybe they shouldn't be punishing us for hugs," Megan said.

Good lord these people are turning children into mindless robotic sheep. They must WANT to get shot up by students. I mean no hugging between two friends, so they are obviously out to teach their students that being friendly to someone is a crime, and you should hate your fellow student. They give out detention for HUGGING, but ignore bulling to the point where the victim just snaps, and shoots the place up trying to take out as many fellow students and they can, then finish up by taking themselves out and then people start blaming video games for it. You have parents who wont discipline their kids at all, and schools that go overboard with it.

*Runs to play Manhunt 2 to vent frustation, because it's a VIDEO GAME, not reality and would never do such things in reality*

Hugging is gay anyway, ever been at a party where a drunk guy repeatedly hugs you. Like wtf...

Hugging leads to hot violent sex...it's a fact:o

I don't agree with the policy, but I think you are overreacting to it.

I say ban it. These children have no need to touch each other. They're there to learn, not hug. And I'm only half-joking.

I would hug anyone and everyone just because I'd want to see how much trouble I could get into.

Hugging leads to kissing, kissing leads to making out, making out leads to sex, sex leads to babys, babys leads to school shootings.[/yoda]

Makes sense to me.*shrugs*

group-hug.jpg

I can understand banning all PDA's during classes, but if it really was just a qick hug before the weekend, I think it's ridiculous.

why in the hell is this news? why was this reported? whos job is it to fight for 13 year olds rights?

this **** is pathetic... no not the story, the fact that it actually is a story.

this country is in a sad state.

What's sad is that the school saw the need to ban public displays of affection in such vague language that a one armed hug is a detention worthy offence. God only knows how they can interpret Displays of affection next. handshakes? high-fives? smiles? nicknames? talking to each other in a friendly tone? all of these are easily interpreted as "public displays of affection". And you know what, I'd say the hell with the rule against Hugging. I'd go up to ever damn one of my friends give 'em a bear-hug, then hug the principal as he locks me up. It's a dumb-ass rule.

a kid at one school around here got suspended for tapping a girl on the shoulder...

damn bible belt :(

You want to hear something really sad. I once saw a girl get suspended for cursing another student. Not cursing AT another student, CURSING another student. She was an admitted witch, and she said some nasty stuff to the girl who told the principal who had the witch suspended.

Twisted part. the witch practiced her crafter with her mother, who used to be her father.

Two hugs equals two days of detention?? i wonder how many detentions will those lesbos get for kissing each other. they should that during the school board meeting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"