Another Live Action Popeye film in the works

If Ryan Gosling isn't Popeye, I don't want it.

I feel like there are certain animated properties that just shouldn’t be attempted outside that medium and, despite being almost entirely human characters and not that high concept, Popeye is one of them.

I saw the Altman one when i was little and was very disapointed that he only ate his spinach at the very end of the movie, wtf was that all about, that's some Madame web s***, only getting to use his superpowers for a short scene at the end of the movie.
Robin Williams was good as Popeye though, I caught a bit of it on tv a few years ago, but couldn't bring myself to watch it all.

more spinach punch ups this time please.

I feel like there are certain animated properties that just shouldn’t be attempted outside that medium and, despite being almost entirely human characters and not that high concept, Popeye is one of them.
you might have a point there, those Asterix movies all looked terrible, i only watched the 1st one and it was bad, and the books are amazing.
i dunno though, i think they might be able to pull off a live action popeye if they get a good script on the go, and do some inventive punch ups like in the Mask. but that could end up like son of the mask lol asterix movies is all im thinking now, this could be like them.

If Hollywood is going to make a live action adaptation of a cartoon, why go with one that's already been done of a character whose popularity peaked well over 60 years ago? It's just an odd move when studios are seemingly becoming more conscious of what they greenlight these days. I can think of at least a dozen cartoons that they could make into live action films that would probably be more viable at the box office than Popeye.

If Hollywood is going to make a live action adaptation of a cartoon, why go with one that's already been done of a character whose popularity peaked well over 60 years ago? It's just an odd move when studios are seemingly becoming more conscious of what they greenlight these days. I can think of at least a dozen cartoons that they could make into live action films that would probably be more viable at the box office than Popeye.

You say that now, but when they announce that this is actually Christopher Nolan’s next film you’ll be changing your tune pretty soon.

It doesn't need to be a musical like the last one, but a couple of songs are fine.
More than likely it will be an origin.

I grew up enjoying The Popeye film and the old cartoons back in the 1980s.

But at that point, I was 50 years removed from when the character was created.

The question I have, is whether or not genZers even know who Popeye is nearly 100 years after his creation.

I mean, they know the Chicken restaurant, but i'd be shocked if children today had ever heard of Popeye The Sailor.

The question I have, is whether or not genZers even know who Popeye is nearly 100 years after his creation.

I mean, they know the Chicken restaurant, but i'd be shocked if children today had ever heard of Popeye The Sailor.

You know I always wondered if Popeyes Chicken was meant to be connected to the cartoon?

I can promise you that if you asked a bunch of under-25 year olds most of them would think you're talking about the fast food chain. :o

I can promise you that if you asked a bunch of under-25 year olds most of them would think you're talking about the fast food chain. :o

Seriously, the children have no Cartoon Network like the one we grew up on to get schooled.

I blame Zaslav. :argh:

Seriously, the children have no Cartoon Network like the one we grew up on to get schooled.

I blame Zaslav. :argh:
They called it Boomerang.

friends-joey-tribbiani.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back