Disney's live-action Pinocchio

Yeah, the trailers gave The Witches vibes.

And it going straight to streaming with no theatrical release will always give me pause for a big scale movie like this. I worry a bit for Peter Pan as well.

Saw some clips of this being posted on Twitter. I’ll admit, I usually don’t get on the Disney hate train and just mind my own business when it comes to their live action remakes, but this has got to be the most uncanny valley, IP-shilling, blatantly corporate-mandated, Marvel-ification of one of their properties I have ever seen. There is literally a scene with cuckoo clocks going off and it’s just a barrage of every single Disney property they could think of. They give Pinocchio a superhero moment at the end and parts of Alan Silvestri’s score literally sound like they were ripped straight from Captain America or Infinity War. It’s like they didn’t have enough faith in just selling it on its own and just couldn’t help themselves.

It takes a lot for me to really criticize some thing like this, but I think I may have found my threshold. Good Lord, what an embarrassment.

PS – Bob, I love you, but the uncanny valley thing is clearly not working for you at all and will never be a thing no matter how hard you try and push it in all of your works. For all of our sakes, please, just stop. You’d be doing yourself and all of us a mercy.

Last edited:
PS – Bob, I love you, but the uncanny valley thing is clearly not working for you at all and will never be a thing no matter how hard you try and push it in all of your works. For all of our sakes, please, just stop. You’d be doing yourself and all of us a mercy.
Case in point, the two best critically received films of his in the past 20 years are pretty much the only ones where the movie isn't beating us over the head with CGI, those being Flight and The Walk which both have plenty of VFX shots but more along the lines of Forrest Gump where it's seamlessly blended in.

Case in point, the two best critically received films of his in the past 20 years are pretty much the only ones where the movie isn't beating us over the head with CGI, those being Flight and The Walk which both have plenty of VFX shots but more along the lines of Forrest Gump where it's seamlessly blended in.

He needs to just stick with that, then, because his heart and investment seems to be more in those projects. Those kinds of films are clearly a better use of his time than…whatever this is.

Pretty bad. I knew it wasn't going to be good twenty minutes into this and I should have turned it off then. Lifeless

So far, is this the worst reviewed of these Disney cartoons to live action?

Urgh. Then I dont even try this out and save some time.

So far, is this the worst reviewed of these Disney cartoons to live action?
I mean, I'd be surprised if this was worse than Lion King 2019 quality wise. But yeah, along with Dumbo, this has been the lowest Disney remake rated by critics so far.

I'll always be grateful to Bob Z for giving me my all time favorite film. He get's a lifetime pass from me.

Well, that's disappointing. I was hoping for more after Chip n Dale surprisingly was awesome.

I just finished it and it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. It had heart to it.

Only two big gripes:

They could've been more elaborate and made a beautiful sequence of "When You Wish Upon a Star" like in the OG movie and letting Hanks/Gepetto sing it before the Blue Fairy comes.

And then number two, you put Pinocchio on this big journey and DONT give him a full transformation into a real boy at the end? I felt jipped by that.

But yeah otherwise it was sweet.

I have hated the Disney live action stuff, but I didn't hate the trailers for this so I was going to watch it...until the reviews. Don't usually let RT make up my mind on watching a movie, but too many complaints cited against this by a lot of reviews that tell me I will hate this like the other ones. Bummer. I don't want to hate these Disney Live action remakes. But they are lifeless cash grabs with zero effort.

I just finished it and it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. It had heart to it.

Only two big gripes:

They could've been more elaborate and made a beautiful sequence of "When You Wish Upon a Star" like in the OG movie and letting Hanks/Gepetto sing it before the Blue Fairy comes.

And then number two, you put Pinocchio on this big journey and DONT give him a full transformation into a real boy at the end? I felt jipped by that.

But yeah otherwise it was sweet.

I guess the question I would have is how children respond to the film.

I get that alot of adults don't like the film, in relation to the 1941 version, but i'd be interested to seeing what children think of the film since, in all likelihood, they aren't going to come to this version knowing all the ins and outs of the OG version.

I've also heard that the film isn't that great , but I'm interested in seeing if children respond as negatively to it as adults do.

Not saying they won't, but I'd just like to know how they're responding to it.

I might be the only person on the planet, but 70 mins in, and I've really enjoyed this. I find it adorable and sweet.
Me too

I really don’t get a lot of the hate this movie has been getting. I thought it was enjoyable and cute. My only complaint would probably be some of the CGI but still not enough to take me out of the movie.

Me too

I really don’t get a lot of the hate this movie has been getting. I thought it was enjoyable and cute. My only complaint would probably be some of the CGI but still not enough to take me out of the movie.
I can totally get why it's getting savaged by the critics, but as a little one, this would've been my jam. My biggest issues is I feel like it ends just a tad bit early. Though I did enjoy the sentiment of the ending.

That 3rd act was pure crap cant believe they made the decisions they made the ending :(

After the Little Mermaid remake,I could see all these lame Disney remakes being relegated to Disney plus content filler, just like Star Wars.

Is Little Mermaid the only one currently scheduled for theatrical? I know Peter Pan is going Disney+, probably Snow White too?

I can totally get why it's getting savaged by the critics, but as a little one, this would've been my jam. My biggest issues is I feel like it ends just a tad bit early. Though I did enjoy the sentiment of the ending.
Yeah, I was totally expecting the movie to end like the animated version. Seeing Pinocchio turn into a real boy and having that sweet moment at Gepetto’s shop. I even kept watching through the credits to see if there was a bonus scene lol

Is Little Mermaid the only one currently scheduled for theatrical? I know Peter Pan is going Disney+, probably Snow White too?
I could see Snow White going to theaters too, but I thought Cruella 2 would as well and that's apparently going straight to Disney+, so what do I know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"