Disney's live-action Pinocchio

I can totally get why it's getting savaged by the critics, but as a little one, this would've been my jam. My biggest issues is I feel like it ends just a tad bit early. Though I did enjoy the sentiment of the ending.

That's why I wonder how children will respond it , because at the end of the day, I think the film is made for them, as opposed to some adults like myself who grew up with the 1941 version in the 80s.

Yeah, it looks like it calls back visually to the old version, but I gotta think Disney is targeting children of today for this .

To be fair, when we watched the original Pinocchio as kids, it was already 40-50 years old so it’s not like targeting to “today’s kids” means the original doesn’t hold the same power it always did. That same thinking could’ve been said in the 80s and 90s to the kids then.

I really liked it (except stupid Monstro). Though I have seen the original movie one time and it doesn’t appeal to me much then

Well, it was better than Morbius at least. :o

It's my least favorite of the live action Disney remakes I've seen but even though the movie goes a bit overboard in some places (like the CGI vomit Pleasure Island sequence), I think the criticism might have been a little too harsh. For something that can be watched on the couch on a lazy afternoon with nothing else to do, it's passable.

The performances were pretty decent. JGL as Jiminy and the kid playing Pinocchio were pretty good, Luke Evans was clearly having fun chewing the scenery. Erivo's Blue Fairy probably should have been in it more instead of the Dr. Melfi seagull. Hanks was good as Geppetto too even though he lost his accent by the time they get to Monstro, who I found out was apparently a sea monster in the original story and Disney made the choice to make him a whale in the animated movie. Who knew?

This actually turned out way better than I thought! Loved how Monstro looked

Well...it wasn't horrible. It is probably one of the better Disney Live Action remakes, although that isn't saying much. Some of the charm of the original is here, although some of the edge is off (no drinking beer and smoking in this version and the Coachman was nowhere near as frightening). And thankfully it isn't completely drab and lifeless with a lot of color and energy popping off the screen. The ride through Pleasure Island was definitely my favorite part. The CGI wasn't the greatest and the lack of theatrical budget pretty noticeable. Figaro in particular was awful and had me wishing it was a real cat. The Monstro sequence was lacking. I'm actually okay with the final scene though and like the message (I'm not going to worry about the unfortunate implications in a children's fantasy movie). The Blue Fairy was an interesting take being more like a strange magical creature as opposed to the original angelic version. The villains were A LOT better in the original version. One thing I didn't like was how Pinocchio wasn't really badly behaved in this version compared to just being a victim of circumstance so the whole bit about earning his humanity fell flat. That was probably my biggest problem with the movie.

I have no desire to watch this again, but they've done worse.

^tru, it did kinda miss the mark on the cautionary tale/metaphor/symbolism

but, "misbehaving and disobedience makes you a Jack-@ss..." was always a little too on the Nose (pun intended) in the original, tho

That was the entire point of the original, and the book. Kind of pointless to do this if your lead protagonist goes through zero change and robs Pinocchio of anything interesting.

It wasn't subtle, but it was also for kids. The book is the same way beating the same message over and over again every chapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"