Anyone else sick of Indie music?

I'm sick of Indie music fans that think the only good music is from bands that can't get a record deal. Although this thread doesn't really seem to be about Indie music, since most of the bands mentioned have record deals and/or have videos that weren't made on the family camcorder.

Are you forced to listen to this garbage though?
Yes. At home my sister plays this BS. If I'm in someones car, this music is playing. If I'm in a dvd store/music store, this crap music is all I hear.

What happened to playing good music? Why can't people play some Iron Maiden or Led Zeppelin....even some R.E.M would be fantastic.

[YT]tTaOvzZKRxA[/YT] This is for you figs.

Seriously, none of the bands named in this thread can be considered indie, for their sound or for the status of their record labels.

how to **** are you guys defining "Indie"? :confused:
exactly

what's the point of being "indie" if you're signed to a mayor

here in Mexico, "indies" sell more than pop singers

of course, all these indie bands are signed with mayors

There is no "indie" genre. "Indie" just encompasses all bands of all genres that are not yet signed to a major label. And according to this thread, indie is just alternative pop rock?

There is no "indie" genre. "Indie" just encompasses all bands of all genres that are not yet signed to a major label. And according to this thread, indie is just alternative pop rock?
yup, indeed, although the term "alternative" came about the early 90's, before that it was called college radio

or "*** music" as it was called by my metalhead friends back then

bam. :o

"indie", then would be any act, regardless of genre which is not signed by a mayor label

but that would not be as commercially appealing as, say four hipsters playing bland music

Stop listening to the Indie Pop which is on the radio, and get down to finding out information about different bands. There's a good amount of indie music out there, and you're certainly not going to find it in the top 20 charts. You picked some good reasons to hate indie music though, as The Kooks need a good wash and better clothes.

Check these out, and if you don't like em...well, erm...just sit back, put your fingers in your ears and await the next huge shift in the music industry.

Looks like I'll be still waiting awhile:csad:
This was true back a few years ago, but now ''indie'' is classed as a style.
3-4 memebers, all have messy hair like they just got out of bed or whack neat look, all wear current ''trendy'' clothes, like most homosexuals would wear. If you type in indie into google images, you will get all these bands with the same look. Somehow current bands have taken the work ''indie'' and have turned it into a bad style of music.

I wish we could go back in time when all genres could have indie lambled to them.

Well, I still argue that you're incorrect in that assumption. None of those bands are labelling themselves as indie bands. I don't really understand how that started.

Any bands that I can think of which fall into your description are classed under specific genres of music, whether or not they're signed to a major label.

Looks like I'll be still waiting awhile:csad:

This was true back a few years ago, but now ''indie'' is classed as a style.
3-4 memebers, all have messy hair like they just got out of bed or whack neat look, all wear current ''trendy'' clothes, like most homosexuals would wear. If you type in indie into google images, you will get all these bands with the same look. Somehow current bands have taken the work ''indie'' and have turned it into a bad style of music.

I wish we could go back in time when all genres could have indie lambled to them.
See, what you just did was say that "Indie" is a look, not a genre. I'll agree with you that there is a certain look that can be stereotypically associated with "Indie" bands, but that does not make Indie a style of music. "Indie" is just a buzzword. It's a label that deliberately makes the band sound like they're underground or otherwise not mainstream. Especially when you're talking about the bands you've posted. Those bands are not Indie. They're pop rock/punk.

This crap, skater crap, emo crap, screamo and stuff like "Fallout Boy" should go to hell and never return!

Yes. At home my sister plays this BS. If I'm in someones car, this music is playing. If I'm in a dvd store/music store, this crap music is all I hear.

What happened to playing good music? Why can't people play some Iron Maiden or Led Zeppelin....even some R.E.M would be fantastic.

This is for you figs.

That sucks and for Wilhelm who I believe said he also is forced to listen to it at times.

I agree about the Iron Maiden, R.E.M. and especially Led Zeppelin. I haven't boughten really any albums in the last 3-4 years. I stick with a lot of the old ****.

Thanks for the clip with Kashmir...definetly made up for those other videos you posted.:woot:

The White Stripes, The Raconteurs, The Black Keys, The Hold Steady, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, British Sea Power, Cold War Kids, Kings of Leon, The Strokes.... Great Rock and Roll is still being made, you just have to look for it.
:up:

"Indie" music is actually the best stuff out today. (some of my favorites: The Raconteurs, Cold War Kids, Spoon, The 88)

What I'm sick of, is generic hip/hop, crappy punk bands that are more about image than music, and how the popular rock of today is crap like Nickleback and Daughtry.

I can't even listen to top 40 radio stations anymore. :csad:

Edit- this is not to say all Indie music is good, there's plenty of crap there too.

"Indie" music (which is a ******ed thing to call a genre--indie means that the band has no major label. THATS IT.) is just like any other genre of music: there's a few good bands, a few s**t bands, and the rest are pretty average.

I must also mention that "indie" means no particular genre of music: there's indie rock, which is what most people here are talking about, and there's indie rap, dance, and every other genre under the sun.

Terms such as "emo music" and "indie music" need to die horrible slow deaths.

Ugh to this whole phenomenon. You simply can't sum everything up in one word.

Most of those bands are okay, not "great", with the exception of the Strokes, who suck. I see them as the precursor to all of the **** bands currently.

I guess I enjoy them for the same reason you loathe them. The lazy guitar, hoarse vocals, etc.

You can't honestly mean that last sentence. Sure you may hate them, but The Strokes are nowhere near as terrible as the current **** bands.

Side Note: Aren't you impressed I didn't use a "Different Strokes" pun?
:cwink:

The problem is that 'indie music' from around the start of the decade has been taken completely over and is now more or less just as manufactured as boy bands.

I've been saying for years I don't like many bands from this decade. It actually kinda makes it hard for me to relate to other people when they're like "oh I just loooooooooove Franz Ferdinand" or whoever the band of the month is.

That's another thing. There always seems to be a band of the month. Always seems to be the next big thing. I think radio DJs are partially to blame, they tend to latch onto bands and hype them up.

It's all about ego with a lot of bands.

It's not really about music. It's about their egos, looking cool and trendy with their stupid haircuts, and getting laid.

The lyrics are getting increasingly worse and worse.

If I hear another British song about "ordinary" life I'm gonna choke a *****.

"I went to the chip shop and guess what I saw!!" - It's all that kinda crap.

There's seriously about 20 songs about beer and food and getting laid from the last couple of years alone.

There are a couple of "indie" bands local to where I am that I think are alright, but I might just like those band because I'm friends with members. The Killers really annoy me because before I heard them I thought the were the Paul D'ianno fronted metal band from the late 80's and got excited at the prospect of a new album, but instead they are whiny dorks. I generally like me some 70s hard rock/metal.

the only music I listen to (other than david bowie) is ill mitch (illmitch.com)

he is a rapper from russia with great lyrics.

"Your momma's whack, your granny's whack, I keep and handy wipe in my fanny pack"

"You're a babe, I'm a dude, I'll put you in a party mood, I'll put my biological tube near your scuba gear"

Everyone should go to illmitch.com and check him out

I can't stand it anymore. IT ALL SOUNDS THE SAME. Not to mention they're now moving to let's rip off nineties alternative now stage. Tools. Not even underground/independent music sounds good anymore.

I've always pretty much have been sick of Indie music. So it's not something new to me at all. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"