The Dark Knight Anyone think Alfred is haveing too big of a role in the new movies?

In a more general point of view I seriously wonder how will all the characters interact in TDK ! It's a big challenge !

We have let's say 2 hours of movie with Alfred, Batman, Bruce, Gordon, Crane, Joker, Rachel, Maroni, Fox, Dent, AMH secret role (Riddler ????) and maybe Selina Kyle ! Plus all the minor characters who could be quite important in the story !!!:wow: It's so much more than in BB !

That doesn't mean I'm worried though: some of them will have less time on screen, in comparison with BB for instance (I'd be surprised that Fox gets a screentime as big as in BB)! And Jonah Nolan will do a good job !

And for Alfred I think him, Gordon and Dent will be the three main "sidekicks" of Batman !

So far I agree with the overwhelming consensus that the role is currently fine.

No intermission...must be nonstop!:wow:
I was kidding, I wouldn't mind a long film though, long doesn't necessarly mean boring if it's done well. That's what she said anyway.

I would seriously sit through a 4 hour dark knight

4 hour? Hell, I'd sit through an 8 hour TDK!!! Nolan is the man and I would sit through anything he directs, no matter how long.

In a more general point of view I seriously wonder how will all the characters interact in TDK ! It's a big challenge !

We have let's say 2 hours of movie with Alfred, Batman, Bruce, Gordon, Crane, Joker, Rachel, Maroni, Fox, Dent, AMH secret role (Falafel Assistant????) and maybe Selina Kyle ! Plus all the minor characters who could be quite important in the story !!!:wow: It's so much more than in BB !

That doesn't mean I'm worried though: some of them will have less time on screen, in comparison with BB for instance (I'd be surprised that Fox gets a screentime as big as in BB)! And Jonah Nolan will do a good job !

And for Alfred I think him, Gordon and Dent will be the three main "sidekicks" of Batman !

I don't there will be a problem as long as the movie is around the 2 hour mark. In Batman Begins, a good portion of the screen time was with Bruce with his parents and with Ras as well as other flashbacks.

Oh yeah, I corrected your statement MiniBond. :cwink:

I surprised this is brought up. I would imagine greatly expanding a character like Alfred would be a favorable thing. I love what Michael and Nolan did with him, turned a rather dull character into a father figure. Aunt May is a boring, pretentious mess of a character, Alfred feels like real family.

I hope they give him even MORE to do in TDK. Ha! There, I said it.

Quoted for truth. Michael Caine and Christopher Nolan have made Alfred so much better of a character than I could ever have anticipated.

Well, I'm a Michael Caine fan, so I definitely want as much or more of Alfred...just not at the expense of Gordon or Dent. I think there will be plent of screentime for all. Plus, more Alfred means more of Bruce's personal routine, which is a good thing.

Michael Caine's Alfred could kill Bruce Wayne and take over the Bat Suit and you still would not be able to convince me there is to much Sir Michael Caine in this movie/series.

I don't there will be a problem as long as the movie is around the 2 hour mark. In Batman Begins, a good portion of the screen time was with Bruce with his parents and with Ras as well as other flashbacks.

Oh yeah, I corrected your statement MiniBond. :cwink:
I don't thnik there'll be a problem too ! Just pointing out the amount of characters in TDK !

What statement ?

Well he was needed in BB do guide Bruce on his path to becoming who he is. He is Bruce's moral compass.

In TDK he probably won't play such a father figure role and maybe his screentime in cut down.

I love alfred, dont get me wrong, batman needs him. but why are they making him into an aunt may type of character and treating him like hes a main character or the source of bruces strength when he should just be the butler who follows orders? alfred is there for good advice and getting things done, hes like goliath to bruces davy, but they are giving him more screentime and story then friggin Gordon! they should make gordon the focus, if anyone, not alfred.
Nay.

during his BB Beverly Hills conference Caine did express his concerns before that he wants Alfred to do more so we shall see if he got his wishes.

I don't thnik there'll be a problem too ! Just pointing out the amount of characters in TDK !

What statement ?

I was just joking around, about your statement. Look at what I changed then highlighted in your qoute. Then look at my Signature.:woot:

Alfred is probably the only person in Bruce's life that loves him unconditionally. He's a mentor who should always have a prominent and substantial role instead that of a whithered old man who fetches sticks.

Alfred is a great mix of Bernardo, Zorro's servant, and Ben Kenobi, the Alec Guiness version. We are lucky to have a wonderful actor like Michael Caine portray him.
As for Gordon, Gary Oldman was, is and always will be the Man. Great casting decisions indeed.

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?? Gordon was hardly developed? He was almost a main character, not reduced to a cameo like B89. I loved how they laid the foundation down to him becoming a close ally to Batman, which was pretty big in the books. In the old franchise, Alfred and Gordon were basically in the background. BB brings all the characters together and brings them to life. It was excellently handled.

Can we close this ridiculous and unnecessary thread??

wow, ignorance comes in many forms. im really getting tired of the nolan fanboys actin like there opinion = fact. it doesnt, so stop with the troll behavior.

anyways, i dont want alfred turning into the aunt may of the newer batman films. i HATE the scene when he says "why do fall? so we can pick ourselves up!". huh? whats with this schoolyard lesson stuff? i liked alfred when he didnt say much, but this was too much. there were times where i thought alfred was gonna smack bruce upside the head and give him a good beating (wouldnt have minded that actually). i think he needs less screentime and stop giveing morality speeches. he is bruce waynes concience, but i thought he was better in the older films when he would once in a while come around and give bruce little food for thoughts and wise sayings without sounding like a cheeseball.

It just irritates me when Alfred explains things that Bruce should already know.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bruce: "I knew the mob wouldn't go down without a fight, but this is different. They crossed the line."

Alfred: "You crossed the line first, sir."

Bruce: "I know, but-"

Alfred: "You hammered them, and in their desperation they turned to a man they didn't fully understand."

Bruce: "I know that, Alfred. Nevertheless-"

Alfred: "Some man aren't looking for anything logical."

Bruce: "Alfred."

Alfred: "They can't be bought, reasoned, or negotiated with."

Bruce: "ALFRED."

Alfred: "Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Bruce: "**** you, Alfred."

Alfred: "Nevah."

^LOL yeah i know! thats what im talking about, its like alfred has become the narrator of the movies. i dont like that, he over explains things in corny fashion.

Well that's one criticism that I had with Begins, and that I fear for TDK. Some dialogue is overly preachy. That scene in the bar, it sounded like Falcone wrote and rehearsed that speech before Bruce even showed up to confront him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"