Guardians of the Galaxy Are you considering boycotting GOTG3?

No way. I'll be there opening night, hopefully that's still April 31 2020

Yeah, and that's quite a ways off and a long time to hold out for a boycott.

Fanboys are notorious for momentary nerd outrage and talks of boycotts if the studios don't do something they like, only for that talk to pass relatively quickly or unless they're blown away by a trailer.

The firing of James Gunn has become quite the political minefield that has divided the fanbase and left a lot of people feeling strong one way or another over whether Disney was right to bend to pressure to fire Gunn.

I'm just interested in seeing how bad things have gotten, so I have a better idea of just how fractured the base is. This thread really isn't really meant for debates as we have other threads for that, but I would like to hear your own personal thoughts of whether it has reached the point that you are seriously considering a boycott of GOTG3 in theaters.

For the purpose of this question, I want you to assume that the critical reception and word of mouth is in the same ballpark as the other films or what is standard for the MCU. Clearly if GOTG3 is getting blasted as being junk that would change things.

So assuming it appears to be the quality of the other two films, what are you planning to do?

Thanks for your input.

I absolutely won't boycott the movie. I know myself better than to make that type of claim. But the opening weekend? Possibly. At this point in time, I am way less excited for this movie. This also was supposed to be the movie to shape phase 4 and its direction, so I am also sort of less excited for phase 4 overall (outside of obvious FF hype and such). Can they win me back with some good announcements? Sure, but right now, this hurt my hype big time.

I agree with Disney’s decision anyway (it definitely isn’t HOW I would have done but it’s WHAT I would have done), so there’s no boycotting from me.

I won’t be boycotting it. Haven’t ever boycotted a film.

I said I'd skip Solo because of Lord and Miller (two of my favorite writers/directors) being fired but after the trailer dropped I had interest and watched opening weekend. If I skip GotG3, I think it'll be based on disinterest in these movies in general. We'll see, slot can happen until then. I expect most fans will go see the movies, these Disney Films are an elastic product now.

I was guilted into seeing Solo. Which I ended up not liking much. But if I wasn't guilted into it, I wouldn't have seen it. I likely never will watch it again. But Solo is a good case of not wanting bad press overshadowing the movie. It was plagued with problems and such. Marvel needs to avoid further things like this. They don't want bad press like Solo got basically until it was released.

I've never boycotted a film. I'll stay away if I think the film looks bad, but I won't boycott it.

The only Marvel film I didn't see was Thor Dark World, but that was due to lack of interest.

There would probably be more people boycotting the movie if Gunn hadn't been fired.

The problem with boycott talk is, that fandom often scream boycott for decisions filmmakers or studios make that they don't like ,like casting Affleck as Batman, not bringing Andrew Garfield back as Spiderman for the MCU, boycotting Solo for TLJ, etc, so it tends to be less of a threat when fans constantly call for boycotts.

This situation is different from those to be sure, but i'm skeptical that studios really feel that threatened by boycott talk when they know that they can ride out momentary outrage and can get a lot of fans back with the next film.

If people opt not to see GotG3 because of what's happened and GotG3 doesn't do very well, then we can all kiss goodbye to any potential GotG4, and that'll be the fault of those who boycotted it.

What Disney have done with Gunn is, in my opinion, wrong, but there are other directors out there who are more than capable of producing a decent GotG3 film.

No. Though I have to admit I have no dog in this fight since I don’t care for the Guardians movies that much at all(though I do really like some aspects of Vol.2). Gunn may have started the franchise but he isn’t the be-all-end-all authority on it and there are other directors just as good if not better than Gunn who could take up the mantle to direct Vol. 3.

So I go with the old saying, “let sleeping dogs lie” and move on. Marvel Studios will have to move on and so will you.

Agreed. Guardians 1 is the most overhyped Marvel Disney film ever. And I say that living through Civil War. But I doubt I'll even watch it in theaters unless it looks pretty bad ash anyway.

Considering is not the same as planning. But I don't owe Disney anything.

I'm going to compare this to Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Disney tried to get us hyped about Porgs without ever having seen a film with porgs in them. They were selling us merch nearly a year before porgs were ever on screen. I ****ing despise that.

To try to tell me that GotG3 is going to be worth my money when they are removing the spearhead from the spear is suspect at best. I'll wait and see who they get to direct and to see some trailers first. Then I can make a more informed decision.

I was guilted into seeing Solo. Which I ended up not liking much. But if I wasn't guilted into it, I wouldn't have seen it. I likely never will watch it again. But Solo is a good case of not wanting bad press overshadowing the movie. It was plagued with problems and such. Marvel needs to avoid further things like this. They don't want bad press like Solo got basically until it was released.

I actually liked it really well, more than I enjoyed Rouge One or the Last Jedi. I do agree with Marvel needing to avoid bad press, as we saw with the affect on Solo's box office numbers.

Heh, maybe. Honestly depends on where things go from here.

At this rate, given the current state of things, I will be very surprised if Bautista comes back. Again, based on how things stand at this exact moment in time.
I mean I COULD see him making a statement differentiating between MARVEL and Disney, citing Feige as his reason.

At this rate, given the current state of things, I will be very surprised if Bautista comes back. Again, based on how things stand at this exact moment in time.
I mean I COULD see him making a statement differentiating between MARVEL and Disney, citing Feige as his reason.

Well, it also depends on what Happens to Drax, Peter, Gamoura etc at the end of Avengers 4.

If a few of the Guardians don't survive at the end of that film anyway, it may be easier for those actors to speak out against Disney than it would be for those who are still under contract and returning.

I suspect a lot of them aren't gonna wanna burn bridges with Disney for the future by making a full rebukes of Disney.

Not sure how I feel yet. I get that Disney was in tough spot. I really am repulsed by Gunn's "jokes" but it was in his past. I like to believe people can change for the better. The whole situation was botched in my opinion.

Meanwhile, the Russos demonstrated the cast could be used effectively under another capable director's hands. But ultimately Gunn was the one who made these obscure characters come to life in amazing fashion. He was the heart and soul of the franchise. I feel he'll always be in their cinematic DNA. I think the Guardians can live on but they couldn't have started as successfully as they did without Gunn. Whoever takes the reins from here on out - this whole thing needs to be handled very carefully.

So much depends on the outcome of Avengers 4 and how and where these characters end up. If "GOTG 3" never actually happens and Taika Waititi ends up directing "Asgardians of the Galaxy" I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

But if Gunn had something special in store for the last installment I think that vision should be preserved somehow.

Probably not since this wasn't a decision made by Marvel or Feige but Disney itself. And outside of unilaterally firing Gunn they don't appear to be sticking their nose into making each film. If it was all up to the top of Disney or even the Star Wars division I'd have less hope. But Feige should be able to juggle the situation and get Volume 3 out the door safely.

Don't feel a point in boycotting that movie since most of the people involved in it likely didn't get a say in the decision made with Gunn anyways.

Though I don't have a problem with those that do decide to boycott things. It's their money and they can use it or withhold it as they please.

Not at all. If anything, I may skip it in theaters because Guardians 2 didn't leave me excited for another one.

Nope. For me, losing Gunn is the best thing to happen to this franchise. I'm more likely to see it now, whereas before, I was planning to skip it.

I will not be seeing Vol.3 in theaters if Gunn isn't rehired.

He put his soul into these films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"