Are you kidding me?!!!

Spider - Man

Sidekick
Reaction score
The Fox panel is about to come up at comiccon and they said they'll be discussing Planet of the Apes, The Wolverine and a 'surprise'. Then they said the surprise is supposed to X-Men: DOFP.

WTH!! No FF?!! Man this sucks! No news up til now and now no Comiccon presence! I hate fox!

I don't know why you're so surprised. When they announced that the first two projects in the Fox panel would be Apes and Wolverine, the "major surprise" could only have been DOFP. That and we seem to be getting more rumors about X-Force and an expanded X-Men universe as opposed to anything about F4 leading up to the event.

The "monsters under the bed" part of me however is prepared for Fox possibly ambushing us with some eleventh hour F4 news, so I remain vigilant.

lol yeah FOX isn't going to be making this film. This is just repeating DD all over again. F4 is on it's way home where it belongs

I think the big surprise was the big DOFP cast. No mention of FF at all. I think that's good news for those of us who hope Marvel will get the rights back.

I'm watching the Marvel one now with the crazy hope they'll announce they've got the rights back.

you guys know f4 wont be back for awhile right?

it took 7 years to get DD back

Electra came out in 2005 and dd went back to marvel in October of 2012

last ff movie came out in 2007 so i say rights go back 2015 not anytime soon

Actually it would be 2014, using the same 7 year timetable as DD. And that's assuming they even have the same expiration deals.

Anyway, the point of our enthusiasm is any continued apathy from Fox regarding F4 is a further repeat of what happened with DD.

Maybe Fox is just trying to reestablish fan's faith in the X-Men universe before dwelling into FF. Plus, with reports the two universes are suppose to be connected, I wouldn't be surprised to see something next Comic Con following the release of DOFP since it's not scheduled for release until 2015.

Maybe Fox is just trying to reestablish fan's faith in the X-Men universe before dwelling into FF. Plus, with reports the two universes are suppose to be connected, I wouldn't be surprised to see something next Comic Con following the release of DOFP since it's not scheduled for release until 2015.

The FF and X-Men rights were sold under two completely different contracts. To date there has been no evidence to suggest that FOX would be allowed to mash together these two separate universes, despite what Millar has hinted.

I've been waiting over 40 years for proper FF film. Another 5 years is NOTHING to me. :cwink:

The FF and X-Men rights were sold under two completely different contracts. To date there has been no evidence to suggest that FOX would be allowed to mash together these two separate universes, despite what Millar has hinted.

Being sold under two separate contracts doesn't imply the owners of the characters and stories can't potential put the two together, it merely implies they have different restraints and time based limitations on how long they have before certain rights resort back to Marvel. For instance, the main reason they introduced Silver Surfer and Galactus in FF2 was not for creative storytelling but because they didn't want the characters to resort back to Marvel. I don't see why the two groups couldn't share the same universe--they're both owned by Fox.

Being sold under two separate contracts doesn't imply the owners of the characters and stories can't potential put the two together, it merely implies they have different restraints and time based limitations on how long they have before certain rights resort back to Marvel. For instance, the main reason they introduced Silver Surfer and Galactus in FF2 was not for creative storytelling but because they didn't want the characters to resort back to Marvel. I don't see why the two groups couldn't share the same universe--they're both owned by Fox.

FOX doesn't "own" the rights to either the FF or the X-Men. And to mash together two distinct families, strengthening two weaker franchises to the detriment of Disney/Marvel, could be seen as a violation of the spirit of the original, separate agreements.

I am getting excited the less we hear of anything the more likely the plans have fell through. The longer they take the more likely it will revert back to Marvel. :awesome:

FOX doesn't "own" the rights to either the FF or the X-Men. And to mash together two distinct families, strengthening two weaker franchises to the detriment of Disney/Marvel, could be seen as a violation of the spirit of the original, separate agreements.

Technically, they "own" the film rights to the point they have to make a movie ever so often similar to how they had Daredevil and Elektra--we know what happened there. So they have the ability to freely do as they please with their characters just as long as they don't violate any of Marvel's restrictions (including a character they don't own). That's why there isn't a big deal about both Fox and Marvel owning Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch because they both jointly have access to the characters. It's just coincidentally they decided to use QS at the same time.

All I'm saying is they're going to try and be like Marvel and expand their properties (as Millar alluded to earlier this year).

Who knows, maybe FOX is not yet ready to show the cast to the press.

They didn't even have a panel for the Percy Jackson movie and that movie will come out next month.

The less news about Fox's FF the better for me.

I really don't understand how someone could want Fox to keep the rights to Fantastic Four. I mean, you do realize that the ONLY reason this movie is in development is to keep the rights? You realize they don't have the slightest clue about what to do with this franchise? Marvel on the other hand has an extreme interest in many of the characters, and have the perfect formula for these kinds of movies? Just so you can see a Fantastic Four movie a year or two earlier, you support a company that has no care or respect for the source material, no future plans for it, they're just looking to keep the franchise in their grubby hands so Marvel can't profit off it?

I don't necessarily see the outrage. F4 is supposed to release in 2015. Meaning SDCC 2014 can focus as much as they want on it.

What does confuse me, however, is that they are going to start filming in 2 months and haven't casted a single actor. I hope it means we can start seeing what this F4 will shape up to look like. But idk...

I don't necessarily see the outrage. F4 is supposed to release in 2015. Meaning SDCC 2014 can focus as much as they want on it.

I'm not 'outraged', but if Fox intends to make this they could at least try to pretend it's not the red-headed step-child at this point.

They didn't need to have a panel discussion, but they should have at least talked up a bit and had a teaser poster. "Hey, we've got a great script and a great director, we'll be announcing the cast soon, but we're really exited about this film!" Something like that.

The Superman/Batman film is coming out after the supposed FF release date and we got a teaser and a feeling it's a film they're excited about.

Sure, Superman and Batman are bigger properties, but Fox shouldn't admit that.

They're basically saying by their lack of any information or excitement: "Yeah, FF isn't anything to get excited about. We're not going to bore you with that."

That's the attitude they had last time and we saw the results, and they're not even making an attempt to convince us anything has changed.

Not to mention Marvel's own tease for AoU.

Exactly!

There are some people saying basically: "I don't see what difference it makes if Fox or Marvel make this film."

And while we could endlessly debate the strengths and weaknesses of the films produced by the two studios, we need look no further than Fox's actions at Comic Con to realize they don't understand the FF.

Marvel understands that Marvel Comics wouldn't be what it is without the Fantastic Four, and the Marvel Universe isn't the Marvel Universe without the Fantastic Four.

When the Fantastic Four premiered in the '60s, they were like nothing anybody had ever seen before, and a Fantastic Four film, done properly, would be a film like nothing we have ever seen before.

I have no doubt that if Marvel had an FF film scheduled for a year and a half from now, they would be excited, we would be excited and everybody at Comic Con would have been excited.

Fox just doesn't get it. To them, the FF is nothing but numbers on a spread-sheet, and their actions ( or lack thereof ) at Comic Con illustrate that in a way I could never articulate on my own.

Last edited:
Really hoping this blows up now more than ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"