The Fall Guy - (Ryan Gosling/Emily Blunt)

Seems it’ll do about as well as Bullet Train which makes sense.

It’s certainly not a bad opening at 35-40M for a film like this.

Seems it’ll do about as well as Bullet Train which makes sense.

It’s certainly not a bad opening at 35-40M for a film like this.

Apparently the movies budget is only $130 million. Quite low compared to some other blockbusters.

What was Bullet Train’s budget? The same?

Wonder what it’ll play like overseas.

This was really good. Very fun almost felt like a pg13 Deadpool in some ways but better tbh. Gosling and Blunt have great chemistry. Hopefully people catch on.

Bullet Train reportedly cost about $85-$90 million, but if Hollywood generally undercuts, under-reports their budgets, could be safe to call it $100 million-ish.

Anyway, enjoyed this a lot. The third act is bloated, and I think Bullet Train suffers from a similar problem. Gosling and Blunt's chemistry made the movie for me. The movie felt like a mix of classic 1980s and 1990s action-comedies, a bit of a rom-com, plus all the meta-riffing on Hollywood moviemaking. But I enjoyed how authentic the movie-within-a-movie stunts felt and paying tribute to all the unrecognized crew and below-the-line workers.

Kind of jettisoned a lot of aspects of the original series, but Gosling and Blunt were so darn likable and cute together.

This movie was fun without all the "dumb fun" I usually find in other action movies, like say Fast X. If this is a success though, the temptation might be sequels, which I'm not so sure about. Maybe a sequel would be about bringing in Howie from the original series, and Colt is obligated to mentor him and show him the ropes.

hoping to see it either today or tomorrow depending on my schedule this weekend

Saw it 3 days ago.

Thought it was very forgettable and this comes from someone who loves Gosling, Blunt and Leitch's style.

While it was projected to do at least $30M, and it’s coming in at $28.5M, this is the range for original action comedies, even when they star Ryan Gosling. PostTrak exits report he’s 50% of the reason why people went to see the movie (versus 35% for Emily Blunt). Pic took in $25.4M from offshore marketings raising its foreign gross to $36.9M, global to $65.4M.

The opening for Fall Guy is actually on the higher end of Gosling starts, ranked third after anomaly Barbie ($162M) and Blade Runner 2049 ($32.7M), yet further down on Blunt’s. It’s the ninth-best opening of her career stateside, short of Edge of Tomorrow ($28.7M) and Jungle Cruise ($35M with an asterisk – it did have a theatrical day-and-date PVOD on Disney+).

So, what gives? Why is Fall Guy playing like a deflated balloon, even with a great A- CinemaScore and 90% positive on PostTrak?

First, yes, we’re still in an uneven marketplace and won’t be out of it until we have more movies toward the end of the month into June, leading up to Inside Out 2 on Father’s Day weekend. The entire box office weekend is totaling around $73M, off 55% from the same frame a year ago, when Disney/Marvel Studios had Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 leading summer’s charge with $118.4M.

But in Fall Guy, despite how well it plays with audiences (SXSW crowds were belly laughing), there’s nothing that screams “rush to this,” despite Universal showing off the fun and the romance in its campaign. It’s too inside Hollywood, and these types of movies never play to an uber-wide crowd, despite how accessible the studio and filmmakers have tried to make it. “Why do young people want to see this movie?” challenges a film finance source.

Most of all, for an original event film at $130M-$150M+, this movie is too damn expensive.

“They should have spent like Tom Rothman: Make it for $80M. Why is Universal spending the extra money? Instead of spending $220M-$230M between production and marketing costs, they could have pulled this off for $160M-$180M,” added the source.

Some marketing sources are dinging the Fall Guy brand. “Nobody under 60 remembers that show!” However, I don’t think Universal sold the movie on that, and studios have shown before that they can take an antique TV property and turn it into a mega franchise. Hello, Mission: Impossible and Tom Cruise. What Gen Xer had actually watched Mission: Impossible back in the late ’60s? Not me, I wasn’t around then.

Last edited:
Outside of Barbie, which already had brand significant recognition, Gosling hasn't been a draw like that.

They just spent too much on this honestly. A $28.5mil opening SHOULD be a good number for an action romcom. It’s on par with The Lost City’s opening, and that was a hit. But that one only cost $70 mil to make. This just should not have had the budget it does. These types of movies are not the types of blockbusters to warrant it.

It could have decent legs but Apes will definitely hurt it next weekend.

I thought it was fine. The first half hour was a little slow. I appreciate trying to build the romance and backstory but dragged a little. Also found it a little hard to swallow that Emily Blunt’s character would go from a camerawoman to directing a big budgeted sci-fi epic in a little over a year’s time.

Once the main story got going, it picked up and did a nice balance of action and comedy. The last third was definitely the highlight and wish we had gotten more of that throughout the movie.

I thought the Six Million Dollar Man sound effect a couple of times during the movie was also a nice nod to Majors

I thought this was really great! Gosling and Blunt have terrific chemistry, and the film is a huge crowd pleaser. My audience was really into it.

I could see it have decent legs, but it’s too bad it didn’t open higher.

This will definitely be one of those films that will blow up on streaming, but it’s nice to see a theatrical studio release for this. Definite throwback and plays best with a crowd.

Shame about the box office. Though I had to laugh when I was looking at Facebook this morning and I saw an ad for this movie with a quote that called it “the definition of a summer blockbuster.” I guess that’s true, except for the “blockbuster” part. :funny:

I thought it was fine but it's not nearly as good as they wanted it to be. I thought the whole conspiracy plot angle took too much time from the movie.

Also take a shot every time they play Kiss. :o

I thought it was a very fun/cute date movie. Maybe it wasn't quite as great as what the hype had led me to believe, but I still think it's really a damn shame that a fun action rom-com like this struggles at the box office. My theater was pretty full and into it, so I was a little surprised to see that it didn't have a such a good weekend.

This movie really didn't do it for me. I found that most of the comedy fell flat. I audibly laughed at only one scene (the surveillance footage from the hotel break-in). I really don't think this genre suits Gosling that well. He's a funny guy in general, but his comedic timing wasn't that effective during dialogue exchanges. Gosling worked much better in Barbie. I also hated that the movie pretty much had 3 endings -- I found it to be too long. I left feeling like I wasted my time going to the theatre for this tbh.

That opening weekend numbers are quite low... maybe I was just used to Marvel opening the summer season since 2007 (excluding 2020/21 for obvious reasons) but yikes.

I thought it was weird that the movie with a title "The Fall Guy" was gonna open the summer movie season, and now we have the numbers, it looks bad! I don't know why there wasn't any other movie that grabbed the first weekend of May when Marvel moved. This movie feels like an August movie or a fall movie, rather than the first weekend of May.

or a fall movie,

ryan-gosling-gosling.gif

That opening weekend numbers are quite low... maybe I was just used to Marvel opening the summer season since 2007 (excluding 2020/21 for obvious reasons) but yikes.

I thought it was weird that the movie with a title "The Fall Guy" was gonna open the summer movie season, and now we have the numbers, it looks bad! I don't know why there wasn't any other movie that grabbed the first weekend of May when Marvel moved. This movie feels like an August movie or a fall movie, rather than the first weekend of May.
It was originally supposed to be released back in March but I guess they rolled the dice and grabbed the opening summer slot because they wanted to strike while the iron was hot with Gosling coming off the biggest success of his career with Barbie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"