Age of Ultron Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?

Iron Man wasn't even the main focus of the FIRST Avenger's movie, BW got about the same amount of screentime as he did, and CA got the most. Whedon was carefully to "spread the wealth" among ALL of them. What makes people think that he'd start making subsequent movies the "IM and friends" show?

I think we use terms like overexposed and overrated when something is popular, basically.

I think we use terms like overexposed and overrated when something is popular, basically.

yep. Its just another way of saying "a lot of people like this but i don't, so let me find a way to discredit it."

Definitely not tired of Iron Man. But that opinion may change if they announce an IM4 in the future

I don't think Iron Man's hit the same point of overexposure that Wolverine's been operating at for the last 10-15 years yet - just as he hasn't quite hit the same Mary Sue/Marty Stew characterization yet that Wolverine revels in. At least Iron Man's fun to watch thanks to RDJ, where Wolverine is just a chore and a bore to deal with. :cwink:

I think Iron Man is overexposed in the sense of comparison between the Avengers characters. Who is more exposed to the masses, Iron Man or Captain America? Iron Man or Hulk? Iron Man or Thor? Iron Man or Black Widow?

So you see how her equal screentime doesn't mean much when while she is hopping gliders for her moment of awesome, Tony Stark is calling his girlfriend to say goodbye, saving Manhattan from a Nuke, defeating the Chitauri invasion and fulfilling the only discernable arc in the film?

Also, Iron Man's films are, so far, significantly better than the other solo heroes films. So Cap's one so-so film stands in stark contrast to Iron Man's great first solo outing, much less the other two he's had since then.

I do think that Captain America should have been on par with Iron Man in terms of quality and having a story arc in Avengers. I think that Thor and Hulk's films should have been more in line quality wise, though Thor was pretty close, imho. I think that kind of exposure not only would have made them a bigger force in Avengers, but would have made Avengers even better if Cap and Thor were directly creating/carrying the Avengers films, and not the other way around.

I do think Avengers found a half decent balance, though. Tony was the foremost character, but he wasn't the only incredibly awesome character, not by a long shot. The only person who wasn't notably awesome was Hawkeye, and he was still pretty cool.

T"Challa;26832077 said:
yep. Its just another way of saying "a lot of people like this but i don't, so let me find a way to discredit it."

Exactly!

That's why I never cared for the term overrated.

I'll never get tired of Tony Stark :-)

kPRD0.jpg

I think in the movies, not really. Even though Im a bigger fan of Cap, Hulk, and Thor in the movies I came to the realization I'm not tired of RDJ as Iron Man as I just figured I'm not tired of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine either. Which was a more recent realization. I don't like Iron Man popping up as the main poster character thought Marvel media though. I miss the Spidey days. :(

Listen i like iron man but he is a little too overexposed in the avengers movie. I am sure box office take helps decide these matters but in a perfect world the story should do that, there were time that could have went to bwidow or hawkeye who were underused because of time given to tony to do his "look at me i am tony stark and rich routine". Just saying.

Not tired of Tony Stark or Robert Downey Jr. Especially not RDJ. He's come a very long way from what he was 12 years ago, which was during his "dark period." He was in the headlines for all the wrong reasons back then. Now he's in the headlines hardly ever. He's always had tremendous acting talent, even back during the Brat Pack days. He now has everything together.

That's a flawed argument. You can also argue that no MCU film broke a billion until The Avengers were realized. I still enjoyed it but to me Iron Man 3 was the weakest MCU film yet. Why is it the highest grossing Iron Man? Momentum. Everyone saw the Avengers and now everyone wants to see what happens next.

I just hope Thor can ride that momentum as well despite the ill received Mandarin twist.
I agree with you on all your points. IM3, while enjoyable, is also my least favorite MCU film, whereas Thor 2 is IMO the best standalone so far.

I don't think I'm tired with Iron Man. But I feel like when it comes to "The Avengers", Captain America should be the #1 star and in the first Avengers movie, I felt like Iron Man easily took the spotlight and got more prominent moments. I also couldn't relate to Iron Man and I don't find his "jokes" funny and necessary to the film.

The whole joking moment when he comes onto the bridge so he can stick his spying device in, was completely lost on me, and everyone else too for that matter. His joke on the kid playing a video game and him trying to access the CPU raising his hand and joking about how Fury works with one eye, was not funny. Wasted screen time I thought.

I feel worse for X-Men fans. At least we are getting Captain America and Thor solo films. Cyclops - leader of the X-Men - just got tossed in the dustbin. And it doesn't sound like DOFP is going to bring him back.

Yeah, I gave up on X-Men with the first Wolverine movie. Now, I'll just wait for them to come on Netflix to watch, and honestly, I'm glad, I have not been impressed with any of the movies outside X-Men 2.

It was actually great how his role was balanced, if you feel like he's being overexposed, then think if it's about screen time or just because RDJ steals every scene he's in.

It was actually great how his role was balanced, if you feel like he's being overexposed, then think if it's about screen time or just because RDJ steals every scene he's in.

Depends. Tony was written to do more in the Avengers I thought, but I also thought it was The Hulk and Loki that stole The Avengers above everyone else.

He's my second favorite Marvel superhero, so I'm not tired of seeing more of him
And he's not overexposed
But I do dislike Tony being behind Ultron, I wish this was up to Hank Pym

*sigh*(grabs mic)

First of all this is just a dumb question. I'm tired of this 'Iron Man' gets overexposed yet nobody looks at Wolverine but the OP of this threat is a FoX-Men fan, shouldn't be surprised he made a thread about this.:whatever: In fact, Wolverine is more exposed than Iron man and the two shouldn't be compared. You might wanna look up the term 'over-exposed'. RDJ is a charismatic actor, he steals every scene he's in and he's also the face of the MCU. Now with that being said, let's compare them anyways...

The problem with comparing Wolverine and Iron Man is that the data destroys the argument before it even begins. Iron Man was the first character to appear in a cinematic universe which was building up to a crossover. 2 of his movies came out before the Avengers, therefore we weren't introduced to his character through the movie. In fact, all the characters in that movie, other than Hawkewye are fleshed out and well introduced before we even see them in Avengers. So while RDJ (And the Hulk) obviously steals the whole movie, no one gets UNDERDEVELOPED or UNDERUSED, other than Hawkeye, and to a minor extent Thor. The thing about it is, even though Thor was underused, he already has another movie in a little over a year, not to mention the fact that the villian in The Avengers is personal for Thor. Thor gets the most one on one fights of anyone, and he is obviously the strongest (even puts the smackdown on Iron Man, it'd foolish to say he wasn't gonna kill him eventually). The movies don't revolve Iron Man except his own films.

Now when you juxtapose that with the X men franchise, it isn't even close. We are introduced to literally 90% of the characters through Wolverine in the first movie. There is next to no serious dynamic between any of the characters that doesn't involve Wolverine, and all significant dialogue is centered around Wolverine, other than the speeches by Magneto and Xavier. We're even led to believe that Wolverine is the main plot point, but even after that bait and switch, Wolverine STILL gets TWO one on one fights (he pretty much gets the only fights in the whole movie) but he then is the one to almost single handedly save the day (No one else could've done it...Oh wait, Jean should've been able to do the whole thing...whatever). This dynamic changes in X2, where Wolverine becomes the driving force of the whole movie, but other characters are 'partially' more fleshed out. I say partially because storms speech to Nightcrawler, and Bobby's situation with his parents are great moments, but really Bobby and Nightcrawler are the only ones who have anything particularly significant to say in these movies. That's not to say that no one has anything to do, it's just that it's insignificant to the 'Wolverine Show'.Every X-Men film evolves around him except First Class. Infact, X-Men: DOFP is pretty much 'Wolverine and his Friends AGAIN.' Btw, it's my most anticipated CBM coming out next year despite my disdain of Wolverine being the centre of the X-Men films.:D

So when you STOP and think about it, while Wolverine and Iron Man are both featured more prominently than any of their cast mates, Iron Man's usage doesn't actually turn his supporting castmates into plot point placeholders and cardboard cutouts of actual characters. Iron Man shines the brightest, but he never blocks out the sun to the point that you don't even notice other people are relevant to the movie. Btw, you should have a made a thread called 'Are you tired of Wolverine being overexposed'.:oldrazz: Just my two cents.

cm_punk_drop_the_mic_by_paynexkiller-d46psqv.gif

Last edited:
True enough, the X-series may as well be the Wolverine series. Jackman is a decent guy and does the role well but damn if I ain't sick of it.

Hell, they couldn't even get through First Class without having him show up even if it was just a cameo.

No, far from tired of him. He hasn't appeared in 3 team movies where he is the main character and everyone else basically takes a back seat to him. He has had 3 solo movies, couple of very short appearances, and a team up movie. And the other Avengers will probably show up in the next 2 Avengers as well. But hey as of right now he is done with solo movies so it will be awhile till we see him again.

I'm pretty over RDJ as IM, he was GREAT in IM 1, he was serious and witty. But in IM 2 & 3 and TA he was basically a parody of his IM 1 performance.

I'm getting pretty tired of IM with Hawkeye's personality. I want my James Bond Tony Stark

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"