Age of Ultron The IRON MAN Thread - Robert Downey Jr. Returning!

I have to admit, Tony Stark was my biggest problem with this film. That's not to say RDJ isn't still perfect in the role, or even that he didn't have any good moments, but I feel he suffered the most from being lost in the shuffle.

For starters, I didn't feel we were properly introduced to the new status quo. Stark's character makes sense in the wake of Avengers, however it seems that he has unlearned a lot of lessons from Iron Man 3. He is not the same guy we saw at the end of his last appearance, and though it's possible to deduce what has changed in the meantime, I think Joss asked a little too much with so many elements being introduced at once. More should have been done to show his new role after SHIELD went under. The pressure to step up and fill that void is visible, but not explored.

Ultron is a logical idea for Stark to have, but again is too quickly introduced, too quickly created, and too quickly goes wrong. This rush may have paid off if more time was spent showing the consequences it had on Tony and his friends, but Stark becomes petulant and defensive about his choices, and is ultimately vindicated when his reckless experiements are rewarded by the creation of Vision. Watching the film, I was aniticipating seeing this guy fall victim to his obsessions, and was left puzzled by the mixed messages of the film's conclusion.

As for the debate on this page about the Hulkbuster scene, I was actually very happy with that. It was totally in character for Stark to act the way he did during that fight, trying to tame Hulk like a big mad toddler, and it played well against his frantic attempts to protect civillians at the same time. I think everybody may have been satisfied if we had gotten a small scene afterward between him and Banner to touch on the emotion of that encounter.

I feel a lot of my issues with this film will be addressed in Civil War, for better of for worse. I was concerned this film would suffer from too much lead in material and I was kind of right, though not in the way I expected. Rather than a forced attempt to put Stark and Cap at odds for the sake of the next chapter, I get the impression that Joss pulled a lot of punches so that this dispute could happen later. Tiny scrapes with tiny band-aids, everything is civil at the end. Right now I expect you will likely be able to skip AOU in rewatches and miss out on very little. It felt inconsequential, and that's not how an Avengers film should be.

I am right that Iron Man finally used the unibeam at the destruction of the Sokovia at the end aren't I?
Thought that deserved a bigger deal than riding off into the sunset. Been hanging out for 5 films waiting for that.

Didn't he use the unibeam against both Stane and Savin?

I am right that Iron Man finally used the unibeam at the destruction of the Sokovia at the end aren't I?
Thought that deserved a bigger deal than riding off into the sunset. Been hanging out for 5 films waiting for that.

Yeah, that was really nice and hope he uses it again more in the future.

I just think the whole "I'll walk away from this magic/alien computer program and it'll create itself and it'll be all my fault" was kind of half-baked. It just wasn't introduced or explored particularly well. And then there's no real resolution on Stark's end. Not that his "creation" created life...nothing.

I disagree. First of all, I don't agree that his actions here contradict his arc in IM3. Tony Stark is always trying to "make things better" and be about "progress." But he often doesn't completely think out HOW to do that in a safe/effective way, that's just his nature. Creating Ultron is no different. At the end of IM3, he realizes that he doesn't automatically HAVE to be in the suit in order to do good in the world. Well, creating a new global peacekeeping initiative that can shoulder bring about a lasting peace, and ensure that the Avengers don't have to CONSTANTLY deal with stuff, seems very much like an example of that. It actually fits his progression from IM3 rather well imo. Plus, Scarlet Witch putting those visions in his head of the team dying and blaming him for "not doing more" only feeds into that and make him act even more urgently and recklessly. And she knew that herself, she said as much. It's why she let him take Loki's Sceptre in the first place.

And the reason why he's guilt ridden is simple. He took and alien AI, that he'd never encountered before and knew very little about, and tried to harness it's power. AND he did it without telling the others (except for Banner) because he didn't "want a lecture." And then it blew up in his face in pretty much the worst way possible. Basically, he acted with the best of intentions, but he was also reckless and careless, and people died because of it. Of course he's going to blame himself to some degree, he's done it before in these movies.

I can't tell if you're responding to me or not...

I just saw the film again today and what bothers me the most about Tony's Character is the ending, how he doesn't even bother looking for Bruce who he developed such a close relationship with in the first Avengers film and the few scenes he had with Bruce. I hope we see him searching for him since his cloaking tech is the reason why they can't find Banner.

Last edited:
The reason they can't find Banner is because Banner doesn't want to be found. He chose, as the Hulk, to take a seat and let the Quinjet take him away. Some time had also passed between Sokovia and the ending, where Tony could've either began the search for Bruce, or came to terms with why Bruce left. And according to Fury, the New Avengers staff are searching for Banner anyways.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much Tony has changed since AOU when we see him in Civil War. I'm glad RDJ is still playing the role. It wouldn't be the same without him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"