Ari Aster's Midsommar (2019)

Agreed about Suspiria. I loved the movie but the only thing holding me back to revisit it is the unnecessary subplot with that doctor, it was such a chore to get through when I saw it in theaters.

Midsommar is pretty straightforward tho and doesn't have unnecessary plot elements like whatever the hell that subplot with Tilda as a dude in Suspiria was

Right, which is why I'm kind of surprised the final cut ended up a 140 minutes long.

Agreed about Suspiria. I loved the movie but the only thing holding me back to revisit it is the unnecessary subplot with that doctor, it was such a chore to get through when I saw it in theaters.

The final shot of the movie before the credits had me laughing so hard. Major eye-roll moment that Luca chose THAT to be the final shot, of all things.

Yep. Of all the people I've recommended Hereditary to, only one of them ended up loving it. Everybody else was either "meh" on it or outright hated it. Which is especially devastating to me because it's legit one of my favorite horror movies of all time.

If Midsommar is even less accessible than that film, this may be in for a hard time at theaters.

I liked Hereditary, didn't love it, but I do think it was unintentionally funny at times and I think that turned a lot of people off. And then the ending was just super freaking weird and I think it was to out there for main stream appeal.

Seems that I'm in the minority here but I loved every second of Suspiria. You could say that it put me under it's spell. *ba dum tss*

Not sure this warrants its runtime unless Ari is planning a ton of shots with no dialogue—wouldnt surprise me. Im still skeptical this will deliver since the script left a lot to be desired.

Jordan Peele chats with Ari Aster about his 'atrociously disturbing' horror film 'Midsommar' in new 'Fangoria'

Ari Aster:

I really hope that by the time we’re on our way towards the ending, I hope that it enters some new territory. I’ve been asked, “What is it?” and I’ve been happy saying it’s a breakup movie dressed in the clothes of a folk horror film.

Jordan Peele:

When I texted you after the screening, I wrote, “I think you’ve made the most idyllic horror film of all time.” You’ve taken Stepford Wives and shattered the attractiveness of that movie with this one. That alone is a feat. Also, there are some obvious comps out there, but this movie is just so unique. This hasn’t existed yet, and anything after Midsommar is going to have to contend with it. I mean, this usurps The Wicker Man as the most iconic pagan movie to be referenced.

It plays a weird sleight of hand, where it transcends the horror of itself. It is an ascension of horror. I didn’t feel victimized; I felt like I was being put up on this pedestal and honored through the eyes of the protagonist. It’s a very unique feeling for a film to conjure because after it ended, I found myself looking back at the final act like, “Holy s‑‑‑.” That was some of the most atrociously disturbing imagery I’ve ever seen on film, and yet I experienced it with this open-mouthed, wild-eyed gape. I think that part of how we get there is never reducing the villains to any kind of snarling monsters with an evil agenda.

I hope this movie ruins me.

I kinda want this to be the only pull quote that gets used in the film's marketing until it opens.

Screening reactions have been mostly positive; sounds like it works best as a dark comedy.

Pretty happy with the reactions. :up:

Can't wait to simultaneously wince in horror and laugh hysterically.

Good movie

Bad movie
fg0NAY3Y_o.gif

God I love Florence Pugh. Gorgeous, talented and seems like a really fun person of her Instagram is any indication. I’m glad her career is really blowing up.

I'm avoid reviews and just reading reactions and so far so good!

Rated R for
disturbing ritualistic violence and grisly images, strong sexual content, graphic nudity, drug use and language

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"