Ari Aster's Midsommar (2019)

The designs, editing, comedy, sound mixing... wow.

I laughed a lot, oddly. Mark's comments once they arrive, his trip, and etc. were amazing.

Last edited:
I wish Aster also made extended cut of Hereditary but it will be easier here, I think there are at least 2 rituals that were filmed so that right there is probably about 10 minutes of screen time

Film at Lincoln Center announces Scary Movies XII, the 12th edition of New York City’s top horror festival, August 16-21.

Highlights of the lineup include the World Premiere of Ari Aster’s Director’s Cut of Midsommar, a nearly three-hour extended version of the widely acclaimed folk horror film with Aster in person for Q&A

Where's my release tho?

yUPU9vo.jpg

This was very good. I preferred Hereditary but objectively, this and that are pretty even.

This guy can ****ing direct. Horror's made such a comeback this decade and Astor is one of the reasons why.

Overall I would say that this is a very well made, well acted horror film. However, what's weird about it is that, while it strives to subvert the typical horror tropes and not be predictable... it still ends up being pretty damned predictable.
For example, the use of color and lack of darkness is quite interesting and not something you typically see in modern horror. And some of the more gruesome scenes are shocking, but only for the gore. For example, the scene where the elderly couple leaps to their deaths is shocking because of how gruesome it is, but I don't think anyone watching it was surprised that those two were going to try and kill themselves. And then, when the guy doesn't die, we already knew they were going to bash his head in because they showed us the mallet earlier in the scene. And ultimately, because I've seen The Wicker Man, I knew that ultimately these people were going to end up being psychos and one or all of the main characters were going to be murdered in some bizarre ritual. Hell, they even put a guy in a damned bear suit. So while a lot of the imagery is really inventive and Florence Pugh and the other actors deliver great performances, in the end, you could kinda tell where this movie was going from the moment they arrive in Sweden. Honestly, the most shocking thing in the whole film was Pugh's sister killing herself and her family. That whole sequence felt like it should have been saved for a better, less derivative horror film.

Last edited:
Did anyone feel the film was about racism? It’s not as overt as it should be but it was there.

In what way?
Aster explicitly stated that they were a racist cult and killed the black guy because they had no use for him, unlike his friends. It was a way to, in his words, to talk about “a part of European history”. The film’s looks also influences the growing white supremacy around them.

I don't get it.
They killed the black guy because he was defying them by secretly taking pictures of their sacred book, thus going back on the deal they had.
As for the white supremacy part, I mean, they did go to Sweden.
I see it far more as a study and possible criticism of religion than a general message against racism.

Got my tickets for the Director's Cut. Pretty stoked about this.

I don't get it.
They killed the black guy because he was defying them by secretly taking pictures of their sacred book, thus going back on the deal they had.
I see it far more as a study and possible criticism of religion than a general message against racism.

Aster also mentions how the one's used for mating were specifically white.

I really hope they release it on DVD, the normal release has hilariously few additions

I read it fleshes out the relationship between the leads, which is something I felt was needed to be explored further, in order for the ending to make more sense.

Loved the movie...really hit me emotionally...but I have zero interest in seeing the extended cut. Apparently it changes the cult...makes them more sinister. I liked the way they are, and feel that the changes might undercut MY interpretation of the film...so...nope.

I don't get it.

Quoting an older post here because I just saw the movie but
the moment they got there, weren't they all going to die anyway? That's why their Swedish friend brought them, as offerings.

When I was watching it, I was thinking "no don't take pictures of their book you idiot" or other stuff that made me say "yeah you're going to die for that" ... but they were always going to end up dead, no matter what... the only difference is they would do something different to your corpse, related to your "crime" against the group. Like how Josh's mouth was stuffed with something, as a "don't talk about us" message.

Last edited:
Yeah I guess that's what pretty much happened. I had similar thoughts watching the movie. The main point I was trying to make is that
everyone died for a reason and each death served a purpose.
But you are right to point that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hugoodeww
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"