Arkham Asylum: The Thread for Debating the Insane Topic of Batman Realism

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by DKDetective, Jan 15, 2022.

1. OnLeatherWings Registered

YES.

It makes me almost irate. It's so overused.

TheVileOne and metaphysician like this.
  2. Invader Joker Registered

Robert jokingly shuts down the idea of super-powered heroes or beings existing in the world of The Batman, saying it wouldn't really work unless "Superman was just some guy in a cape with no powers".

C Prometheus likes this.
  3. JackWhite Third Man

They don't really need to have Reeve's Batman sharing a universe with the Justice League and all that. Isn't that why they have Affleck/Keaton in the DCEU or whatever those films are doing? Yeah, keep Battinson as it's own thing. I'm pretty sure that's what 90% of the fan-base would prefer anyways.

antsman41 likes this.
  4. Invader Joker Registered

Interesting. He gets asked about the possibility of Superman existing in this universe and he's very precise in saying he's not interested in figuring that out in the immediate moment, but he could see a future where further down the line he could explore Batman's world colliding with Superman's with Superman being the one fantastical element.

KGBANE likes this.
  5. KGBANE Registered

keep him solo for now and then the Justice League stuff later. Batman is like Spider-man who can be solo or can team up with The Avengers or with the spider family. That is what I love about Winter Soldier it's grounded and fantastical. Now with Matt and JJ teaming up this universe could be something special:supes::brucebat:. I'm back guys! I know it has been a while long story short, I was sick and then I had covid. Thanks for bearing with my disability and respecting my opinion, and the new guys hello

6. OnLeatherWings Registered

I keep reading people saying this yet I just don't understand it nor agree with it.

Both are great - but objectively, all I see when I look at Reeves is a comic-book world in the best way. Not the real world feel Nolan brought.

7. Art Vandelay Registered

Neither movie feels more realistic than the other. I don't really get what the appeal of "real world Batman" is supposed to be, anyway.

8. Vaibow Registered

relatable..... you recognize that world....
    Personally, for me, when certain elements contradict each other, it takes me out the movie...these moments/elements took me out the movie

Two face.... cgi... no one survives that, totally unrealistic.
    Catwoman how she was presented, weird concept - nothing interesting about her at all.
    Bruce still being so young, but then ruining his ligaments, only to fix it with an exoskeleton

Nolan's camera work for fight scenes, in the day...

Those elements didn't flow...

from what I have seen, it flows with The Batman, so it makes sense and feels like a real world... ofcourse there are always limitations and suspension of belief... I could walk into Reeves world.

That's my opinion so far, ofcourse it may change.

opinions are fun

9. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

Nolan's use of 'realism' is about the juxtaposition between things that feel real and things that are heightened/iconic. It is bringing Batman into our world. It's very inspired by what Donner did with Superman. Reeves' approach to me is actually more in line with Burton or BTAS, but instead of Art Deco/Expressionism gothic fantasy, it's more of a neo-noir world in a way reminiscent of what Se7en is. In both cases, it creates an environment where Batman feels 'home'. But I think a lot of people don't actually don't get what the use of realism in TDKT was actually all about. Nolan's Batmans are essentially the Richard Donner Superman films of the Batman franchise.

I think Reeves is carrying forward the texture of realism that those movies popularized but blending it into more of a comic book heightened aesthetic. Even if it's just through the lighting and creating a kind of painterly-like quality to the images. It's going more for the type of 'graphic novel come to life' type of thing that Snyder did with Watchmen, IMO.

10. Spider-Aziz Dummy Dragon Holo

Batarang on his chest, this is Brave and the Bold level of Silver Age boldness and I adore choices like these.

11. Dr. From parts unknown

I thought it was gun parts... (no?)

12. Vaibow Registered

You can bring batman into our world but he has to play by our rules... which he does for the best part... but two face? is that playing by our rules?

Reeves is doing the donner version... giving us a comic inspired story and playing it straight and consistent... the batman, playing it straight...

13. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

I disagree. Superman is an alien. He spins back the Earth to turn back time. Fortress of Solitude, Phantom Zone, Zod, etc. There's insanely comic booky stuff in the Donner films. It's just that it's juxtaposed against a world that feels like our own. IE. Metropolis is New York.

Similarly, the Nolan films have plenty of comic booky elements. I don't think Two-Face is drastically more comic booky than the fear toxin, Bane having a mask that numbs his pain, Batman having a motorcycle that ejects from the Batmobile or an aerial vehicle, etc. That stuff is very heightened and "big", but it's actually still far less fantastical than Donner's actual Superman films. In that way I think that approach was a great way to do Batman because Batman does inherently feel more plausible because you're not dealing with otherworldly stuff.

It's well documented that the Donner films were a big influence on Nolan to the point that there's an interview between the two of them included on the box set of the trilogy:

Nolan also went for some of the biggest movie stars in the world to surround Bale with- IE Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, etc. This is also a big cornerstone of what Donner did with Superman.

I think Reeves is going for something a bit different.

The Batman and DKDetective like this.
  14. antsman41 Unseen Arkham Prisoner

The gun theory was debunked months ago… verified by Reeves this past week.

emielaen, Dr. and Spider-Aziz like this.
  15. Vaibow Registered

you've lost me.... like I said, they bought in comic elements and played it straight.... took ti serious, yes it was absurd but it was also the 70s, you can offer it some leeway.

in 2000's to accept a man had half his face burnt off to the bone, to carry on in a suit around town... c'mon??? Catwoman... she was wasted.....

Reeves played riddler extremely real world.... the characters so far from the trailers fit in well.. with what we know of the world around us... anyways, it's your opinion, that's cool... neither of us are right in the eyes of others so all good

16. DKDetective Elementary, Dear Robin (he/him/his)

Oh? Got a link for that? Am genuinely curious to read Reeves' comments on it.

17. Vaibow Registered

it does look like a weapon of sorts though

18. antsman41 Unseen Arkham Prisoner

It’s a knife… he uses it in a scene in a recent promo/tv spot.

19. Doctor Jones Super Moderator

Watching this baby tonight.

[​IMG]

Slick, Jermobooka and Rick190293 like this.
  20. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

Fixed. :oldrazz:

21. JackWhite Third Man

That tune was straight fire back in 1995. Hell, it's still a jam to this day.

22. Doctor Jones Super Moderator

I just realized I posted in the wrong thread.

DKDetective likes this.
  23. godisawesome Registered

I think the grappling gun illustrates the similarities and differences between Nolan and Reeves approach:

- Both Nolan’s and Reeves’s are ostensibly utilitarian designs with clear inspiration from practical real world gadgets: Nolan designed a belt and gun system that looks like it’s somewhat plausible, while Reeves designed a very ad-hoc seeming utility gun on Batman’s sleeve.

- Both still embraced some amount of fantasy, particularly regarding where all the rope comes from and goes… but Reeves does so even further, since the gun itself is tiny.

- Nolan was going for a bit of romanticism even with the “form follows function” idea, since the grappling gun there looks a little bit more stylish… but Reeves wants the grungy look emphasized, while having the way the gun is deployed and concealed made unnecessarily cool with his wrist flick.

Rick190293 likes this.
  24. KGBANE Registered

I can see Superman working in the future if I'm being honest. I just think another director will handle that part of the universe. We all know Matt has all the Batman stuff down past. I have faith in Reeves and WB with the future of DC. I know I'm a fan boy/cheerleader of both Marvel/DC just love seeing both on top :supes::brucebat::venom::cap::daredevil

Rick190293 likes this.
  25. Rick190293 Registered

As a fan of Super too, I really'd like to see him and Bats interacting again. I think Reeves could do it, althrough the chances are reeeeally low.

TheVileOne and WatchProtect like this.