• Rings of Power

Fantasy TV is now The Lord of the Rings!

• We're moving

Heroes are moving to the Movies sections!

ASK MSJ (The Complete History)

Isn't one of the reasons David S. Goyer left the project b/c the studio wanted to turn it into a family movie? I'm still not convinced on this one. If you ask me why, my answer is Johnson's previous work.

To the guy who made a remark about Sam Raimi not talking to the fans...what is the big deal if he doesn't peruse message boards and write replies? I mean quite a few of the posts on these boards are people who nitpick stupid crap about his movies and don't know proper spelling. Big f'n deal if he doesn't post on SHH, his Spider-man movies are above and beyond better than anything Johnson has done or hopes to do with Daredevil and Ghost Rider.

Thanks MSJ !!!! I love the fact your staying true to the comic and am very very pleased you are going with the JB version of GR.

I think that Ghost Rider is going to completely blow away everything that came before it, including Spider-man.

Thank God MSJ is running the show instead of Goyer!!!!

I'm really looking forward to this film. The visuals alone should make it a hell of an experience.

And whether people think MSJ is going to do an exceptional job, or a God awful job, you have to least respect the fact that he is going out of his way (and he has absolutely NO obligation to do so) to come here and answer questions, and put himself in the firing line. That deserves truckloads of respect.

Riding Ghost said:
Thank God MSJ is running the show instead of Goyer!!!!

after reading Goyer's script and MSJ's responses i agree...Goyer did not understand the character. he had some really cool ideas...but changed both GR and Blaze to where they had very little to do w/ their comic book origins. other than the GR character everything else seemed very ordinary.....
and man....dont get me started on that whole "eating fire to get strength" and the "ghost blaze" look....ugh

Thanks once again, MSJ, for the words on ghost rider as well as the words about Daredevil 2 :)

BIGGUN said:
after reading Goyer's script and MSJ's responses i agree...Goyer did not understand the character. he had some really cool ideas...but changed both GR and Blaze to where they had very little to do w/ their comic book origins. other than the GR character everything else seemed very ordinary.....
and man....dont get me started on that whole "eating fire to get strength" and the "ghost blaze" look....ugh

Who knows what kind of pressures Goyer had on him though. Perhaps he was told to create something a little outside the realm of the comic book.

I asked him about Ghost Rider in the trinity boards and he says he'll never dabble in that world anymore, if given the opportunity. Perhaps that's for the best, though I do like his takes on the supernatural world. I'm happy they held out on the script though.

i loved his take on Blade though....really improved on the character.
could be true about being under certain pressures....the comic book movie making biz was completely different before Spider-Man. that movie proved you could make a successful movie and still stay true to the source material.
also hollywood was into making "friendlier" films at that time...because it was right after 9/11. maybe he was attached to it at the wrong time

wow! that is some cool ****! i'm a huge ghost rider fan and i believe that this is gonna be a hell of a ghost rider movie!!! yeah baby!!! kick some brian singer/sam raimy ass,MSJ!!! woo hoo!!! :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :daredevil :daredevil :daredevil

I've always wanted to see a Ghost Rider movie and after reading this Q&A, I'm looking forward to it more and I believe it'll be great as well.

I will be the first to admit, I'm not a well versed Ghost Rider fanboy; in fact I'm not really familar with the story, but I know who he is and I always thought he was the coolest looking comic book character next to Spider-Man and Batman.

But I want to see the Penance(spelling) Stare. I remember seeing it when reading a Punisher comic book, and he made Frank relive all his past sins of innocent lives who died. If anything I'm most looking forward to that and it's important to have good/great actors who can portray villains in that sense.

I hope the Penance stare makes it in too, my friend.

BIGGUN said:
i loved his take on Blade though....really improved on the character.
could be true about being under certain pressures....the comic book movie making biz was completely different before Spider-Man. that movie proved you could make a successful movie and still stay true to the source material.
also hollywood was into making "friendlier" films at that time...because it was right after 9/11. maybe he was attached to it at the wrong time

Yup, the turn to friendly films was probably needed though. I can understand that. It's funny that there's an increase in the want for vengeance movies though. That's something to think about.

I would love to see Goyer and Mark team up for a sequel or something. Mix the Blade and Ghost Rider worlds together. That would be this fanboys dream come true.

In the event MSJ comes back to answer more questions:

At one point, Berni Wrightson was involved doing pre-production design work for Ghost Rider. I'm wondering if you were able to use any of the work he did, or if Wrightson continued to be involved beyond the Norrington/Goyer stages.

In a related question, what about Mike Ploog? Assuming you're as big a comic geek as the rest of us, Ploog would be one of the first people to call, especially considering his background in production design (and as co-creator of GR). Shoot...both he and Mark Texeira would've had jobs related to the production if I had anything to do with it - just wondering if you felt the same way.

Daredevil remains hit and miss with me, but I'm eagerly awaiting Ghost Rider all the same. Your ideas sound pretty close to the mark - here's hoping you pull everything off in a big way.

dk said:
At one point, Berni Wrightson was involved doing pre-production design work for Ghost Rider. I'm wondering if you were able to use any of the work he did, or if Wrightson continued to be involved beyond the Norrington/Goyer stages.

Damn...thats one question that i forgot to ask!! arghh...where were you DK?? heh
i agree those sketches were very cool....im hoping that since MSJ said that GR's look would develop during the film they would at least use the trenchcoat design.

Though not a comic design, I wouldn't mind seeing what that trenchcoat would look like.

TheBatman1979 said:
I'm still skeptical. I hated what happened to Daredevil and I'll save my judgement on this film till it's out.

****, DareDevil was awesome, as Ghost Rider will be. :D Mark, thanks for DD dude, I can't wait for the Directors Cut. :hyper:

I can't get past Daredevil. He didn't take that character seriously and what came out was a joke, of physics, of dialogue, of plotting. It was simply poor filmmaking, and he had his whole heart in that one too. So none of this does anything for me.

DareDevil is not Ghost Rider. Remember that.

<Mr.Spider> said:
whats the rating theyre shooting for with GR?

PG-13. But it will probably turn out like Daredevil did DVD-wise with them releasing the rated R director's cut later on.

Maybe... but I'm hoping that they'll get this movie right the first time around, therefor not needing an extra release later on.

Please don't cut out 40 minutes of needed footage out of this one folks.

I think they want the PG-13 rating just to draw in a bigger crowd. Then later on release the R rated dvd for the fans who wanted it that way.

I'm not sure if there's a lot of fans that do want it that way. Most are fine with a PG-13 rating, from what I read. Those who care about ratings anyway. Personally, I don't care. I'm just exstatic that it's being made.

to me it could work either way...but as long as they are true to the characters from the comics and that they take it seriously. thats one major reason why i didnt like Goyer's rated R script....Blaze and GR had very little resemblance to thier comic counterparts. had other problems w/ it too ...but thats another story ... :p
i see doing a PG 13 film as more of a challenge actually...the director has to use some knowledge on how to imply both violence and gore w/out actually showing it. some of my favorite horror films were from the 30s and 40s and they always implied horror rather than showing it. Black Cat w/ Lugosi and Karloff has a great scene where a man is being skinned alive...you dont actually see it but you hear the person just wailing in pain and see the shadow of the act taking place on a wall.
other techniques like using quick edits and certain camera angles can do wonders as well. Hitchcock's Psycho is a great example...the infamous shower scene is brillant. you never see the knife cut or enter the victims body....its all implied by sound effects and quick film edits.

however monster/non human gore is allowable in PG13 films.....so there should be plenty of that in the movie i bet. im all for monster gore :cool:

BIGGUN said:
to me it could work either way...but as long as they are true to the characters from the comics and that they take it seriously. thats one major reason why i didnt like Goyer's rated R script....Blaze and GR had very little resemblance to thier comic counterparts. had other problems w/ it too ...but thats another story ... :p
i see doing a PG 13 film as more of a challenge actually...the director has to use some knowledge on how to imply both violence and gore w/out actually showing it. some of my favorite horror films were from the 30s and 40s and they always implied horror rather than showing it. Black Cat w/ Lugosi and Karloff has a great scene where a man is being skinned alive...you dont actually see it but you hear the person just wailing in pain and see the shadow of the act taking place on a wall.
other techniques like using quick edits and certain camera angles can do wonders as well. Hitchcock's Psycho is a great example...the infamous shower scene is brillant. you never see the knife cut or enter the victims body....its all implied by sound effects and quick film edits.

however monster/non human gore is allowable in PG13 films.....so there should be plenty of that in the movie i bet. im all for monster gore :cool:

Sorry is this sounds off but its really late and im tired. But they did the same thing with Alien vs. Predator (2 rated r franchises) and moved it to pg-13 because of the majority of "creature" gore and it bombed. But I think I cannot say anything till I see the final product or at least a trailer.

AVP could have been successfull as a PG13....but it was horribly directed, written, and acted. audiences will know when to stay away from a bad film....actually i think it would have made even LESS money had it been rated R.
again it depends on the director....Paul Anderson just wasnt up to the task for AVP. we will have to wait and see about MSJ on Ghost Rider...but i think he can do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cap2024
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"