"Ask Zack" Q&A feature from WCM.com

Discussion in 'DC Comics Films' started by sad lieutenant, Feb 11, 2008.

1. sad lieutenant Registered

The fine denizens at www.watchmencomicmovie.com are going to post the first batch of Snyder's responses to users'(cherry-picked) questions on their site today. I thought a thread might be appropriate, as I'm sure people will freak/geek the fawk out.

I'm at home sick with a fever and wish that they'd get on with it. Doomesday Clock posted in his forum this morning:

So I guess we're waiting for DD to eat a reuben. Well, Clock, some of us are bed-ridden with a fever and don't have the luxury or wherewithal to eat a delicious sandwich for lunch. Some of us need to be distracted from their semi-hallucinogenic state and can't make the trip to his bookshelf without falling over. Some of us....

Oh, nevermind... Thanks for all the hard work, WCM.com.

2. sad lieutenant Registered

Umm... not much news, eh? It's always refreshing to hear Zack offer a nuanced take on the material, but I was hoping for at least a couple of eyebrow-raising details. It looks like WCM is keeping that stuff for Thursday. Or maybe they's guys got nuthin'.

There was one tidbit for the purists out there... When addressing the toned-down presence of new technology in the film (which we already knew, judging from the back-lot photos), Zack did actually throw us a nugget of news:

That's right, the fawking Minutemen are in the film. Which might not be shocking unless you've read any of the scripts out there: the Minutemen are invariably omitted, and the "New Watchmen" (or some invention) are introduced.

Bullocks to hacks (I'm lookin' at you, Hayter and Tse!); kudos to Snyder.

3. The Guard Registered

Why is it always the stupid, obvious questions that get picked to be answered in a Q and A?

4. Carmine Falcone So it goes.

Nice, but they probably saved the best for Part 2:

5. sad lieutenant Registered

I don't think the questions were inherently stupid at all... they were laregely valid and interesting. Except for that **** about symmetry in the original comics... I mean it's not a very interesting observation, and what sort of answer did he expect from Snyder? ("Symmetry? What? IF that were important, I'd think that Alan Moore would have at least indicated osmething in the title of the fifth chapter about it! Or devoted a whole character to its metaphysical implications! Shut up and go buy 300, *****ebag!") Of course the director is going to say "Um, yeah, you're totally right and that will totally be a part of my movie."

The thing is that the questions were smart enough, but not exactly intended to reveal many -- or ANY -- details of the production. Which is probably no fluke... and most likely more of a mandate, really.

6. sad lieutenant Registered

That said, I am morbidly curious to see what Snyder says about the soundtrack on Thursday.

I have no real strong opinion about the score itself. I think there are a ton of ways to go with it, and I'm sure Tyler Bates will have a good time with it. I think more important than the score, however, is the ambient music that will be included in the film.

Just as the comic is awash in Easter Eggs, this film should be littered with ambient, incidental music on the streets, alleys, rooftops, in the bars, etc... It should reflect the real-world early 80s in terms of arrangements (read: snythesizers) -- and, I feel strongly, should reflect the darker side of the 80s synth genre. It should be funny and yet dark and otherworldly.

Think Chris and Cosey, Suicide, Throbbing Gristle, Psychic TV. Stuff that was around in the early 80s, but totally marginalized by the commercialization of punk and so many Gary Numans, Adam Ants, and the like (this inherent ambivalence of the familiar and alien will support the bizarro feel of the Watchmen universe). This music should be the fawking insane synth noise-punk that Knot-Tops listen to while out-of-their-minds on pills.

For the kids -- and most normal, respectable people -- here are some examples to give you a idea:

Throbbing Gristle. The name says it all. You can almost pick out Knot-Tops in the audience.
    [YT]Y8klW9trVTQ[/YT]
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y8klW9trVTQ

Chris and Cosey. Members of Throbbing Gristle, doing something a little different. But just as awesome. This is why I have no time for wack-ass, effeminate electro duos who are trying to take over my neighborhood.
    [YT]WMLQ4FRsepg[/YT]
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=WMLQ4FRsepg

Suicide. If this ultra-minimal synth line is playing in the background during Rorschach's first, tense appearance at Happy Harry's -- a long, panning shot of blank, terrified faces punctuated by Alan Vega's sporadic, irregular yelping -- then I will crap my pants with joy.
    [YT]kFrdreUvyDk[/YT]
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=kFrdreUvyDk

And now you, like me, may be cursed with this knowledge of crazy 80s awesomeness... Because anything else that appears in the film will be super fawking milquetoasty in comparison.

7. Carmine Falcone So it goes.

It's obvious that you're sick at home, you posted 6 times in this thread.. :p
    I apologize for ignoring the contents of those posts though, I'll read them intensively now.

8. sad lieutenant Registered

That's six now, Dutch. And my balls are like a fawking swamp here... I'm dyin'. Cut me some slack and check out some Throbbing Gristle.

9. Katsuro Registered

Yeah, i'd say the best part of that is hearing that the Minutemen will still be the Minutemen. None of thise "Watchmen" and "New Watchmen" crap.

10. The Guard Registered

"Gee, Mr. Penn, how do you decide what elements of each story to adapt?"

11. Shifty Chief of Surgery

It was okay, liked the parts on Minutemen and the technology.

12. Shifty Chief of Surgery

Part 2

Much better questions, loved the answers.

13. StorminNorman Registered

Rorschach's mask sounds awesomely well done :up:

The fact Snyder is still considering adding the Black Freighter to the movie is an example of his dedication to the work. I like that a lot.

This movie will be incredible.

14. Rust First Son Of Yesterday

Sounds good so far.

I just hope that he's telling the real truth when saying the costumes will be "aesthetic" modernized as opposed to "2007" modernized.
    I dont wanna see no Nolan-ized Batman outfit on Niteowl.

And I dont wanna see any too-smart-and-snazzy fight-sequences with wire-fu and bullit-time. This should be done mainly in an oldschool bar-brawling style.

15. The Guard Registered

I think he simply means that Nite Owl will be wearing "sculpted/molded body armor" in an effort to comment on that aesthetic in superhero lore. Every script since Hayter's has featured this, and it seems to work rather well, I think.

16. sad lieutenant Registered

Note the implication that the Black Freighter may very well be in the theatrical release! Awesome!

17. WalterKovacs Registered

Im excited too, but dont get your hopes up too much guys, nothing can live up to how great you can imagine it being.
    See: Spider-Man 3
    See also: Fantastic 4: rise of the silver surfer

18. Rez Registered

Are you ******ed? GREAT care was taken in the comics to create symmetry, and there's even the Fearful Symmetry quote to bash you over the freaking skull with it, not to mention it's one of the chief themes running throughout the whole damn book! It's a very valid question and I'm eagerly awaiting to see how (if) the film's shots reflect that.

19. Katsuro Registered

I was well aware of how much both of those were going to suck long before they came out. It was kinda obvious.

20. sad lieutenant Registered

While I suppose I might possibly be "******ed", in this case I was simply being a little sarcastic. When I rhetorically had Snyder exclaiming "You'd think that Alan Moore would have at least indicated something in the title of the fifth chapter about it!" -- it was quite a clear allusion to "Fearful Symmetry" -- and I assumed that, to any Watchmen geek, the sarcasm would have read loud and clear. The presence of "symmetry" in the graphic novel is so ubiquitous that I sort of took for granted that Snyder wouldn't overlook it in his film. Hence my ragging on that particular question, and the tepid assurance of Snyder's response.

Sorry if my dry sense of humor didn't translate (I had quite a fever that day)... Nevertheless, you might try calming the fawk down a little bit. And maybe you can not debase yourself by using epithets like "******ed". Particularly as you betray your own lackluster reading-level.

21. sad lieutenant Registered

Agreed!

22. Joined:
    Aug 19, 2006
    Did those really disappoint anyone?

23. brobdingnag Registered

Spiderman 3 was far worse than ROTSS in my opinion. I'm not sure if people were expecting a purple giant with a big "G" on his chest (yes, when Galactus first appeared in FF#48 he had a big goofy "G" on his chest) or what but that would have looked RIDICULOUS on screen. The FF movies were certainly not great but owning virtually the first 400 issues of FF I can say that they did a fairly good job capturing the essence of the relationships in the books. I'm a hardcore FF fan and I wasn't nearly as disappointed as comic book fans in general were.

24. War Party Ve vant ze money,Lebowski

I know it doesn't belong in here, but this is so badass:

[​IMG]