"Ask Zack" Q&A feature from WCM.com

sad lieutenant

Civilian
Reaction score
The fine denizens at www.watchmencomicmovie.com are going to post the first batch of Snyder's responses to users'(cherry-picked) questions on their site today. I thought a thread might be appropriate, as I'm sure people will freak/geek the fawk out.

I'm at home sick with a fever and wish that they'd get on with it. Doomesday Clock posted in his forum this morning:

Today, sometime after lunch, the first half of the questions will be posted in the same way a news story is. The second half this Thursday.

So I guess we're waiting for DD to eat a reuben. Well, Clock, some of us are bed-ridden with a fever and don't have the luxury or wherewithal to eat a delicious sandwich for lunch. Some of us need to be distracted from their semi-hallucinogenic state and can't make the trip to his bookshelf without falling over. Some of us....

Oh, nevermind... Thanks for all the hard work, WCM.com.

Umm... not much news, eh? It's always refreshing to hear Zack offer a nuanced take on the material, but I was hoping for at least a couple of eyebrow-raising details. It looks like WCM is keeping that stuff for Thursday. Or maybe they's guys got nuthin'.

There was one tidbit for the purists out there... When addressing the toned-down presence of new technology in the film (which we already knew, judging from the back-lot photos), Zack did actually throw us a nugget of news:

It seemed most important to tell the story of the advent of the Minutemen and later Dr. Manhattan.

That's right, the fawking Minutemen are in the film. Which might not be shocking unless you've read any of the scripts out there: the Minutemen are invariably omitted, and the "New Watchmen" (or some invention) are introduced.

Bullocks to hacks (I'm lookin' at you, Hayter and Tse!); kudos to Snyder.

Why is it always the stupid, obvious questions that get picked to be answered in a Q and A?

Nice, but they probably saved the best for Part 2:

Remember to come back this Thursday for for part II of the Zack Snyder Q&A where Zack will answer questions about the costumes, the soundtrack, his plans for the “Black Freighter” story and much more!

Why is it always the stupid, obvious questions that get picked to be answered in a Q and A?

I don't think the questions were inherently stupid at all... they were laregely valid and interesting. Except for that **** about symmetry in the original comics... I mean it's not a very interesting observation, and what sort of answer did he expect from Snyder? ("Symmetry? What? IF that were important, I'd think that Alan Moore would have at least indicated osmething in the title of the fifth chapter about it! Or devoted a whole character to its metaphysical implications! Shut up and go buy 300, *****ebag!") Of course the director is going to say "Um, yeah, you're totally right and that will totally be a part of my movie."

The thing is that the questions were smart enough, but not exactly intended to reveal many -- or ANY -- details of the production. Which is probably no fluke... and most likely more of a mandate, really.

That said, I am morbidly curious to see what Snyder says about the soundtrack on Thursday.

I have no real strong opinion about the score itself. I think there are a ton of ways to go with it, and I'm sure Tyler Bates will have a good time with it. I think more important than the score, however, is the ambient music that will be included in the film.

Just as the comic is awash in Easter Eggs, this film should be littered with ambient, incidental music on the streets, alleys, rooftops, in the bars, etc... It should reflect the real-world early 80s in terms of arrangements (read: snythesizers) -- and, I feel strongly, should reflect the darker side of the 80s synth genre. It should be funny and yet dark and otherworldly.

Think Chris and Cosey, Suicide, Throbbing Gristle, Psychic TV. Stuff that was around in the early 80s, but totally marginalized by the commercialization of punk and so many Gary Numans, Adam Ants, and the like (this inherent ambivalence of the familiar and alien will support the bizarro feel of the Watchmen universe). This music should be the fawking insane synth noise-punk that Knot-Tops listen to while out-of-their-minds on pills.

For the kids -- and most normal, respectable people -- here are some examples to give you a idea:

Throbbing Gristle. The name says it all. You can almost pick out Knot-Tops in the audience.
[YT]Y8klW9trVTQ[/YT]
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y8klW9trVTQ

Chris and Cosey. Members of Throbbing Gristle, doing something a little different. But just as awesome. This is why I have no time for wack-ass, effeminate electro duos who are trying to take over my neighborhood.
[YT]WMLQ4FRsepg[/YT]
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WMLQ4FRsepg

Suicide. If this ultra-minimal synth line is playing in the background during Rorschach's first, tense appearance at Happy Harry's -- a long, panning shot of blank, terrified faces punctuated by Alan Vega's sporadic, irregular yelping -- then I will crap my pants with joy.
[YT]kFrdreUvyDk[/YT]
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kFrdreUvyDk

And now you, like me, may be cursed with this knowledge of crazy 80s awesomeness... Because anything else that appears in the film will be super fawking milquetoasty in comparison.

It's obvious that you're sick at home, you posted 6 times in this thread.. :p
I apologize for ignoring the contents of those posts though, I'll read them intensively now.

That's six now, Dutch. And my balls are like a fawking swamp here... I'm dyin'. Cut me some slack and check out some Throbbing Gristle.

Yeah, i'd say the best part of that is hearing that the Minutemen will still be the Minutemen. None of thise "Watchmen" and "New Watchmen" crap.

"Gee, Mr. Penn, how do you decide what elements of each story to adapt?"

It was okay, liked the parts on Minutemen and the technology.

Part 2

Alan C: We know that the “Black Freighter” is being produced as some sort of add on to the film for home release. What I want to know is will the “Black Freighter” parts cut back and forth to the newsstand and the comic as it does in the book? Will the DVD release have an option to include the “Black Freighter” scenes in context with the film (as they happen in the book) or will it just be a standalone extra?

Zack Snyder: It is my intent right now, and of course all this could change, to create a version of the “Black Freighter” that thread throughout the movie. As I write this, I have already shot the ins and outs of the News Vendor and Bernard… So we’ll try them in the film and then certainly we’ll at least see them on the DVD, but if it works awesome, then it works awesome, and it could end up in the film. I just want to make the best movie I can.

Noel M.: What changes have you made to the costumes from the comic and why?

Zack Snyder: We’ve approached each character individually regarding the design of their costume. In most cases, we have remained very close to the graphic novel. Although in some cases, we’ve made adjustments. I think Nite Owl and Silk Spectre have probably been changed the most from the original designs. We felt these changes were necessary because we live in a comic-book cinema world where costumes have been fetishized to a huge degree. The costumes, as they’re drawn, might not be accessible to many of today’s audiences. I also felt that audiences might not appreciate the naiveté of the original costumes. So, there has been some effort to give them a slightly more… I would say modern look — and not modern in the sense of 2007, but modern in terms of the superhero aesthetic. It was also important to me that they appealed to my own taste as a moviegoer. Lastly and possibly most important, I wanted to be sure that they comment directly on many of today’s modern masked vigilantes — who shall remain nameless…

Oscar: I was wondering what is the approach that you and Tyler Bates want to take with the soundtrack as far as sound and mood? Are you planning on using the songs mentioned in the graphic novel?

Zack Snyder: I am planning to use quite a few songs mentioned in the graphic novel. Watchmen is incredibly smart in its use of music references, both obvious and subtle. We did extensive research to make sure we hadn’t missed any of the great music opportunities that exist within the book. As far as the score itself, once we wrap principle photography, Tyler and I will have much more time to sit and look at the cut together. Tyler has spent time on set with us and has begun looking at footage with Bill Hoy, our editor. We have started to formulate a philosophy for the score — but it’s really just the beginning.

TK8103: As we all know, one of the most intriguing elements of Rorschach’s costume is the changing patterns on his mask. How is that going to be accomplished on screen?

Zack Snyder: As you can imagine, the most effective way to render the ever-changing inkblot that is Rorschach’s face is with the use of visual effects. So, we created a blank mask and strategically placed small green tracking markers on it. The markers will be used to track the contours of his face throughout the shot. There is also a hole that reveals Jackie’s [Jackie Earle Haley] eyes not only so he can see, but also to help to the VFX artists later while they animate Rorschach’s face. The opening allows them to see what Jackie’s eyes were emoting. When completed, his open-eyed, green polka dotted face will have been replaced by a CG element, a slowly changing inkblot pattern. We’ve gone through and analyzed the many inkblots from the graphic novel and have assigned them each different emotional characteristics — so that when Rorschach is experiencing something in a scene, the shape on the mask reflects his emotions in a graphic and abstract manner. I have had the opportunity to see some of the early tests and I am very pleased with how it is coming together.

Soupdragon: Will the fight scenes involve a 300-style of variable speed action or will they be filmed straight?

Zack Snyder: Each of the fight scenes is a little bit different and they are individually influenced by both the situation and the characters involved. Overall, it’s probably not as extreme in its use of variable speed as 300, but I still want to make sure that the action is cool. It goes without saying that I like action. So, although it might not be exactly like 300, it’s still going to have quite a few intense fight sequences and a style of its own. I have been fortunate enough to have Damon Caro on board as my Stunt Coordinator choreographing the fights. Damon worked with me in the same capacity on 300 and is truly the best when it comes to creating innovative fight sequences. He has put a lot of time and energy into fight training with the actors and the stunt team and the results are apparent.

Cory Brown: Watchmen was such a milestone event in comics. While I’m sure Alan Moore didn’t write it while saying to himself “I'm going to write a milestone event in comics,” he was definitely dealing with fertile if largely untouched ground by placing a superhero story in the midst of more adult themes, an idea which has become commonplace in comic books since then. As a filmmaker aware of the abundance of super hero films today (not to mention the last 25 years of comic books), do you look at Watchmen as just an adaptation of a great story or also as an opportunity to draw your own lines in the sand regarding super hero films (or film in general)?

Zack Snyder: I think Alan’s work is absolutely groundbreaking and whether he sat down to do that or not, that’s what he did. I think that for me, it’s about adapting that great work into a movie, but it’s also certainly about making a film that does hopefully to the cinematic superhero genre, what the book did to the comic book world. It’s my hope and my intent to shine a light on the current state of superhero movies and what they mean to pop culture, and what they mean to people who enjoy them, and comic book fans. So yeah, I guess if you want to say, “draw a line in the sand”, those are strong words, but it’s strong material, so that might be just what’s happening.

Much better questions, loved the answers.

Rorschach's mask sounds awesomely well done :up:

The fact Snyder is still considering adding the Black Freighter to the movie is an example of his dedication to the work. I like that a lot.

This movie will be incredible.

Sounds good so far.

I just hope that he's telling the real truth when saying the costumes will be "aesthetic" modernized as opposed to "2007" modernized.
I dont wanna see no Nolan-ized Batman outfit on Niteowl.

And I dont wanna see any too-smart-and-snazzy fight-sequences with wire-fu and bullit-time. This should be done mainly in an oldschool bar-brawling style.

I think he simply means that Nite Owl will be wearing "sculpted/molded body armor" in an effort to comment on that aesthetic in superhero lore. Every script since Hayter's has featured this, and it seems to work rather well, I think.

Note the implication that the Black Freighter may very well be in the theatrical release! Awesome!

Im excited too, but dont get your hopes up too much guys, nothing can live up to how great you can imagine it being.
See: Spider-Man 3
See also: Fantastic 4: rise of the silver surfer

I don't think the questions were inherently stupid at all... they were laregely valid and interesting. Except for that **** about symmetry in the original comics... I mean it's not a very interesting observation, and what sort of answer did he expect from Snyder? ("Symmetry? What? IF that were important, I'd think that Alan Moore would have at least indicated osmething in the title of the fifth chapter about it! Or devoted a whole character to its metaphysical implications! Shut up and go buy 300, *****ebag!") Of course the director is going to say "Um, yeah, you're totally right and that will totally be a part of my movie."

The thing is that the questions were smart enough, but not exactly intended to reveal many -- or ANY -- details of the production. Which is probably no fluke... and most likely more of a mandate, really.

Are you ******ed? GREAT care was taken in the comics to create symmetry, and there's even the Fearful Symmetry quote to bash you over the freaking skull with it, not to mention it's one of the chief themes running throughout the whole damn book! It's a very valid question and I'm eagerly awaiting to see how (if) the film's shots reflect that.

Im excited too, but dont get your hopes up too much guys, nothing can live up to how great you can imagine it being.
See: Spider-Man 3
See also: Fantastic 4: rise of the silver surfer

I was well aware of how much both of those were going to suck long before they came out. It was kinda obvious.

Are you ******ed? GREAT care was taken in the comics to create symmetry, and there's even the Fearful Symmetry quote to bash you over the freaking skull with it, not to mention it's one of the chief themes running throughout the whole damn book! It's a very valid question and I'm eagerly awaiting to see how (if) the film's shots reflect that.

While I suppose I might possibly be "******ed", in this case I was simply being a little sarcastic. When I rhetorically had Snyder exclaiming "You'd think that Alan Moore would have at least indicated something in the title of the fifth chapter about it!" -- it was quite a clear allusion to "Fearful Symmetry" -- and I assumed that, to any Watchmen geek, the sarcasm would have read loud and clear. The presence of "symmetry" in the graphic novel is so ubiquitous that I sort of took for granted that Snyder wouldn't overlook it in his film. Hence my ragging on that particular question, and the tepid assurance of Snyder's response.

Sorry if my dry sense of humor didn't translate (I had quite a fever that day)... Nevertheless, you might try calming the fawk down a little bit. And maybe you can not debase yourself by using epithets like "******ed". Particularly as you betray your own lackluster reading-level.

Did those really disappoint anyone?

Spiderman 3 was far worse than ROTSS in my opinion. I'm not sure if people were expecting a purple giant with a big "G" on his chest (yes, when Galactus first appeared in FF#48 he had a big goofy "G" on his chest) or what but that would have looked RIDICULOUS on screen. The FF movies were certainly not great but owning virtually the first 400 issues of FF I can say that they did a fairly good job capturing the essence of the relationships in the books. I'm a hardcore FF fan and I wasn't nearly as disappointed as comic book fans in general were.

I know it doesn't belong in here, but this is so badass:

watchmen.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"