"Attack of the Terrible Trio" talkback

Dread

TMNT 1984-2009
Reaction score
A new episode of THE BATMAN will air this Saturday to kick off Feb. 2008.

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0801/29/index.htm

Newsarama said:
THE BATMAN: "ATTACK OF THE TERRIBLE TRIO"

Kids' WB! has provided The Continuum with five images from "Attack of Terrible Trio," this Saturday's new episode of The Batman.

Here's how the network describes the episode:

"Three misfit college students get their hands on the Man-Bat formula, allowing them to turn into monstrous beasts. Batman and Batgirl have to stop them before they infect the entire campus."

"Attack of The Terrible Trio" was written by Stan Berkowitz and directed by John Fang.

batman1.jpg

batman2.jpg

batman3.jpg

batman4.jpg

batman5.jpg

The Terrible Trio had a mediocre episode of B:TAS, one of the few that AKOM animated, and thus it looked like poo (they were the same cheap studio that did X-MEN for Fox Kids). Outdoing that episode will be no hard feat. Heck, matching it will be no hard feat. Let's see how THE BATMAN fares.

Still funny that only Robin is deemed worthy enough to team up with JL heroes.

Well perhaps they are going to make it seem like Batgirl is away studying most of the time and hence just doesn't get the opportunity to duke it out with the rest of the league...

Not sure exactly how many eps she's been in thus far, the doctor phosphorous and maybe a joker one, Joker express.

Perhaps this will tie in why she isn't/hasnt been around that much.

Again this may tie in at the end of the series in the two parter.

To be honest, the only episode i'm looking forward to now is the wrath one, I think it might be season four awesome.

A new episode of THE BATMAN will air this Saturday to kick off Feb. 2008.

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0801/29/index.htm

The Terrible Trio had a mediocre episode of B:TAS, one of the few that AKOM animated, and thus it looked like poo (they were the same cheap studio that did X-MEN for Fox Kids). Outdoing that episode will be no hard feat. Heck, matching it will be no hard feat. Let's see how THE BATMAN fares.

Still funny that only Robin is deemed worthy enough to team up with JL heroes.
Anything from TAS was better than The Batman garbage. This is so stupid.

Well perhaps they are going to make it seem like Batgirl is away studying most of the time and hence just doesn't get the opportunity to duke it out with the rest of the league...

Not sure exactly how many eps she's been in thus far, the doctor phosphorous and maybe a joker one, Joker express.

Perhaps this will tie in why she isn't/hasnt been around that much.

Again this may tie in at the end of the series in the two parter.

To be honest, the only episode i'm looking forward to now is the wrath one, I think it might be season four awesome.

Wrath?

I think Batgirl has been in about three episodes this season. Granted, she was also with Robin as well.

Anything from TAS was better than The Batman garbage. This is so stupid.

Oh, without question TAS is better. That said, with over 100 episodes to choose from (before Timm focused on Beyond & JL), it did acquire a batting average. While there are countless classics, you could find at least a modern season's worth of episodes (12-13) that were either mediocre or outright sucked. "CRITTERS" is the notorious one labeled the worst episode ever. But the TAS "Terrible Trio" counts in the mediocre category. It had potential to do something, as the Trio weren't crazy or needy, just three bored college kids, but the average plot and the underwhelming animation (for a series that usually defined it for that generation) took it down a bit.

THE BATMAN has no hope of outdoing the Timmverse Batman and probably never will. But what it can do, and has done too little of, it take those rare areas or characters that Timm missed or botched and try to score a hit off that. The Trio could be one of them. After all, THE BATMAN has gotten watchable episodes out of D-List fodder like Cluemaster, Gearhead, and Spellbinder. They've done better with D-Listers, in fact, than A-Listers like Joker, Penguin, and Catwoman. IMO, of course.

Yeah, The wrath, haven't you ever heard of him. He was in an infamous one off story back in the day...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrath_(comics)

Your link was a little off, but I found it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrath_(comics)

Interestingly, the JLA villian Prometheus seems "inspired" by Wrath, who pre-dated him by almost 15 years.

If handled well, that could be good. It is like I said; where THE BATMAN has often prevailed, it is in using villians who have never hit the screen before, or at least were not high profile. Having Batman & Robin face their ideological opposites could make for a good series finale (as few shows these days, despite ratings, last beyond 5 seasons. Look at TEEN TITANS for example).

Crap, I almost forgot about the new episode! :wow:

*Sets VCR*

The shark guy looks sweet. :grin:

It was a relief to finally see a new episode! The villains were pretty cool, and overall it was a good episode. No sign of Robin, but we finally get to see Batgirl (she's in college now, she actually HELPED Batman instead of accidently making things harder for him!).

I can't wait until the next episode, it looks awesome!

Because you keep watching it.

This episode has quite possibly the best line ever:

BATGIRL: Shouldn't we call the Justice League?
BATMAN: Over a giant monkey? They'd kick me out in two seconds.

:woot:

I thought it was a decent episode. I don't know what you guys expect. The target audience is like 6-10 year olds. I thought it was good to show Batgirl in college. I didn't know she was in college. I figured she was still in high school. It was good to see a episode with just Batman and Batgirl again. It was like before season 4 again. It was nice that Batgirl referenced the JL. It shows she isn't totally oblivious. I can't wait to see her interact with the JL members during the finale.

Pretty decent episode. I thought the Terrible Trio were more interesting and more of a threat here than they were on the comics or B:TAS. This could've been a mediocre episode, but decent villains, good dialogue referencing adult themes like school shootings and steroid abuse, and character development from Batgirl and a reformed Dr. Kirk Langstrom make this episode one of the better ones of this season

P.S. Yay! No Robin!

Decent,I think they better fit this universe then TAS.

I thought it was a decent episode. I don't know what you guys expect. The target audience is like 6-10 year olds.

That's no excuse for how much this season sucks compared to 4.

Completely forgetable episode. While it was nice to see Langstrom back (though regretably no ManBat) this trio wasn't all that terrible. Two dimensional Trio might have suited them better.

THE BATMAN has no hope of outdoing the Timmverse Batman and probably never will. But what it can do, and has done too little of, it take those rare areas or characters that Timm missed or botched and try to score a hit off that. The Trio could be one of them. After all, THE BATMAN has gotten watchable episodes out of D-List fodder like Cluemaster, Gearhead, and Spellbinder. They've done better with D-Listers, in fact, than A-Listers like Joker, Penguin, and Catwoman. IMO, of course.

Having written this about a day before watching this episode, I think it is worth saying that they didn't do so badly by the Terrible Trio themselves. Unfortunately, the episode envoked the Timmverse in other ways, with heavy reminders of Batman Beyond episodes, "Splicers" and "The Winning Edge". And that is never good because BEYOND was naturally always superior. Still, this episode was better than some of the JL team-up's and was entertaining. Furthermore, it focused on Batgirl and showed that she can be sassy without being irritating, a distinction that was lost in her debut during Season 3 and sometimes during the 4th.

The episode starts with an attack on some college kids at a beach by what appear to be animal-creatures; a wolf, a shark, and a vulture. As a twist to mix things up, the vulture is actually a girl (originally, the Trio were all men), and that helped keep things a little unique. I liked how the girl at first thought the "shark" was in a costume until the last second. Once it makes the news, however, Batman is quick to investigate, and it hits close to home for Barbara as the attacks are connected to her new school. She has apparently just entered college, a fact Batman seemed ignorant of. She has always been rather independant but certain moments during the series almost hint that Batman doesn't care for her as much, at least enough to keep abreast of her life. In a way she plays the role that Grayson played in TAS, as in that show, he was also in his freshman year of college, too.

The biggest departure for the Trio, besides the fact that they are actually mutating into animals via a bastardization of Kirk Langstrom's formula, but that their motives were different. Originally, they were three well privaleged youths who turned to crime out of sheer boredom & seeking of thrills. Here, they are outcasts seeking revenge on college dorm jerks who push them around. I suppose it makes more sense, but this motivation has been overdone to death for years since Columbine (to be frank) and it has quickly become a cliche. There is that sense that the Trio are overreacting and not simply avenging injustices, though. What ruined THE TERRIBLE TRIO in B:TAS was not playing with their motivation well, which was unique. In THE BATMAN, the motivation was handled, just made somewhat more generic.

As for Kirk Langstom, I actually liked the revamp that THE BATMAN did for him. Having him be such a bat-freak that he becomes obsessed with Batman and wants to out-Bat him was unique, made him seem more like a stalker than a Lizard rip-off (which he usually was). Sadly, after his debut episode, Man-Bat hadn't been used well since. This time he is trying to make amends, swearing he was not behind the Trio and agreeing to make an antidote for Batman (who seemed to believe him awfully quickly).

At times I had to remember this is a different kind of Batman, as he was literally making wisecracks with Batgirl; as I have said before, this Batman seems to act as if DKR never happened and he is in "costumed cop" mode, a fact that Fox outright tells him. That is not to say that approach to Batman hasn't been done for years and lacks it's fans; Grant Morrison is using that approach for his BATMAN run. I usually am not and it does take some getting used to. The episode had some good lines and some sweet action sequences with the Trio; action pacing has usually been THE BATMAN's strength and it continues to be so here.

The episode even seems to end in a way similar to "Splicers", with the "leader" being overwhelmed by an OD of animal-mutagen stuff. Again, these sorts of things just remind me of better, earlier shows and that is never a good thing for THE BATMAN. Granted, aside for that, it was an enjoyable episode. It had better animation and action than the TAS version of the Terrible Trio, so I guess we could call it a success. This was also the first episode of the season without Robin, and that was good, giving him a rest.

An ok episode, but i really wasnt impressed with the characters or plot. Mainly because it was ripped-off heavily from two different Marvel Comics Daredevil storylines.

The first, most obviously, being The Unholy (Terrible?) Trio from Daredevil #10...

B2056010.jpg

And the second being the recent MGH drug (mutant growth hormone) storyline during Bendis' run.

This kind of plaguerism bugs me, because it's lazy writing. The people in charge of the show figure no one in their audience will know about those Daredevil issues...what they fail to realize is lots of the children watching have parents watching with them who DO. (like me :word: )...

The Batman production team needs to try harder, imo. :down

An ok episode, but i really wasnt impressed with the characters or plot. Mainly because it was ripped-off heavily from two different Marvel Comics Daredevil storylines.

The first, most obviously, being The Unholy (Terrible?) Trio from Daredevil #10...

B2056010.jpg

And the second being the recent MGH drug (mutant growth hormone) storyline during Bendis' run.

This kind of plaguerism bugs me, because it's lazy writing. The people in charge of the show figure no one in their audience will know about those Daredevil issues...what they fail to realize is lots of the children watching have parents watching with them who DO. (like me :word: )...

Other way round:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrible_Trio

B2056010.jpg

the majority of the audience probably never read those comics so it wouldn't matter anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"