Batman Begins Baby in Gordon's House?

prince_charming

Civilian
Reaction score
Who is the baby being fed at Commissioner Gordon's House? If the Dark Knight takes place right after Batman Begins then who is this baby? It's not Barbra or the boy.

More than likely a continuity error.

It's actually niece Barbara (not mom or daughter Barbara Gordon). Say she was one year old in that scene and Bruce was 30. In 18-20 years she'd be a nice age to be Batgirl. 18-20 years past Bruce's 30th birthday and he'd be 50! Midlife crisis! The Dark Knight Returns! We now know what the next movie is about! :wow:

Funny you brought this up now of all possible times, b/c I caught just that scene when I was channel surfing last night and I thought the exact same thing.

It's actually niece Barbara (not mom or daughter Barbara Gordon). Say she was one year old in that scene and Bruce was 30. In 18-20 years she'd be a nice age to be Batgirl. 18-20 years past Bruce's 30th birthday and he'd be 50! Midlife crisis! The Dark Knight Returns! We now know what the next movie is about! :wow:
I thought the only Barbaras in Jims life were his (ex) wife and his niece. I didnt know he had a daughter named Barbara too?

I believe Gordon had James Jr from wife Barbara, when he had an affair with Sarah Essen a baby girl was born and Sarah decided named her Barbara after Gordon's wife that's from Year One if I'm correct.

Prob supposed to be one of Jim' kids but I think of it as the Gordons are babysitting for a friend.

Who is the baby being fed at Commissioner Gordon's House? If the Dark Knight takes place right after Batman Begins then who is this baby? It's not Barbra or the boy.

TDK doesn't take place "right after" BB.

The DA was killed in BB. A new DA would then be appointed to finish out his term (that could have been anywhere from months to years later). Then there had to be a new election for Harvey to be elected....and TDK takes at least a few months after his election.

So...TDK can take place several years after BB ended.

Well let's not forget a few other things... Gotham Knight, for one. I know no time period is given for that, but keep it in mind. Bat's comment about Joker after the opening scene
"Him again." He says it in the vault.
and Dent telling Bruce he's not up for election for 3 more years. I always kinda figured the time between the movies is basically real-time, give or take a few months.

I'd say its not more than a year max.

If its been several years than Batman would already be back at Wayne Manor and in the new Bat Cave.

I mean it really feels like its only been some months on. I mean the very final scene in Batman Begins, can't say for sure how much time has passed in that final scene. Could be a couple months.

And I mean Batman in the film still feels like a new Batman. This is still a Batman year one type of story. This is still Batman learning the ropes and growing into Batman. And I think at the end of a third movie, God willing, by the end it will be the Batman we come to currently know or go on toward the path of the Batman we know in The Dark Knight Returns. Not that they should do a Dark Knight Returns as the third movie.

Joker -''a year ago, these cops and lawyers wouldnt dare cross any of you, I mean what happened''

In the comics, James had a son James Jr.

Babs was adopted, but his wife didn't have the same name as she did in the movie.

Yeah, if TDK was years later, he would have gone up against the Joker several times already since learning about him at the end of BB. Yet TDK feels like Batman's first Joker case, and when they arrest him it's certainly the first time it's happened.

The Gordon's child thing is just a big old continuity error - deliberate, too, they just ignored that the child we saw in the first movie was a baby and made it many years older - that's what the do on soaps and sitcoms too.

There's a lot of confusion about Barbaras in this thread though, man. That's Partly Frank Miller's fault for stuffing it up in Y1 by calling the wife Barbara and omitting the daughter.

Anyway the baby in Begins is NOT a Barbara - it looks like a boy, and presumably is supposed to be James Jr. The only "Barbara Gordon" in Begins is the wife.

As for the Neice/Daughter thing, it's either/or. Daughter pre-crisis, and (stupidly) neice adopted as daughter post-crisis. Gordon doesn't have a Neice AND a Daughter named Barbara.

And Sarah Essen is in no way whatsoever any version of Barbara's biological mother. I'm not sure Gordon ever even had children with his second wife. She's only Barbara's step-mother.

In the comics, James had a son James Jr.

Babs was adopted, but his wife didn't have the same name as she did in the movie.

Yes she did - in Year One Gordon's Wife is called Barbara. Later on he Marries Sarah Essen.

Stupid Miller - should have just called the first wife Cynthis or something and put in Barbara as their daughter like she's supposed to be.

Maybe Gordon arrested a 'lady of the night' and was looking after her kid till she sorted herself out - he's a good bloke. Theres loads of reasons - just apply one.

Yeah, but any reason you pick would be a retroactive "patch" to make it make sense, and is always going to feel a little bit stupid.

Yes she did - in Year One Gordon's Wife is called Barbara. Later on he Marries Sarah Essen.

Stupid Miller - should have just called the first wife Cynthis or something and put in Barbara as their daughter like she's supposed to be.

OH YEAH!! I didn't even think about that.

Thanks for settin me straight. I forgot all about the year one thing. I haven't read it in so long.

Yeah, but any reason you pick would be a retroactive "patch" to make it make sense, and is always going to feel a little bit stupid.

Damn retroactive patches - I just cant get enough of em.

I know what your saying though, but hey, no films perfect and thats all we can do really esp as fans and as people who will re-watch it many times.

Its obviously a mistake but a logical reason can be applied - its just a baby in the house, if the baby was introduced as Gordons in BB then theres no way Nolan would of forgotten that for TDK. But its not introduced or mentioned in anyway so its something they can get away with -
UNTIL NOW! BRING BACK THE BABY! BRING BACK THE BABY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"