Based off of their theatrical films, who do you prefer: Superman, Batman, or Spider-Man?

Gotta go with Bats, if nothing else but for all the varied artistic takes on the character over the decades. There's just something inherently cinematic about that character, probably due to the character's roots in pulp noir. But the character seems to gain power through continued reinterpretation in different times.

It's not that they haven't tried different things with Spidey and Supes, but for me it just seems like the further those drift from 'classic' incarnations (IE Raimi/Donner), the least successful they are, whereas for some reason I love seeing different artistic renditions of Batman. There's something primal at the core of the character that manages to shine through all of them, even the 'failures'. Into The Spider-Verse is great though. Spider-Man has definitely had some high highs.

Superman is tricky. The influence of the Donner films on the genre is undeniable and Reeve as Superman is some of the best superhero lead casting ever, but it just has struggled to live up to that ever since.

In terms of the character, personally I feel with the solo movies, Batman has come through at least 5 times, Superman 3 times (feeling slightly generous for MOS) and Spider-Man can be argued at least 5-6 depending how I feel about TASM. I'd probably put Batman slightly over Spider-Man because I've always favored the Batman character. But, I do feel the one thing Spider-Man has been able to do over Batman and Superman is the team up movies.

Spider-Man for me. Does that shock anyone?

I don't know, just looking at you I would guess "Eternals".

:p

Lol!!!! Touche :up:

But in all seriousness, I just enjoyed more Spider-Man movies in live action than Batman. I liked all 3 Raimi films and the 3 MCU ones. With Batman, I liked 89 and Returns, hated Forever and B&R, loved BB and TDK, hated TDKR. I have always had a love for Spider-Man, but Batman has had periods where I was sick of him. I am only now ready for another Batman movie. Which does look amazing.

It perplexes me that their are people who rag on TDKR but give a pass to Spider-Man 3.

It perplexes me that their are people who rag on TDKR but give a pass to Spider-Man 3.

Being fair, it could be a difference of expectations- if one anticipated TDKR being The Best Movie Ever, that would hurt more than if you only expected Spider-man 3 to be the next good Spider-man movie.

It could also be a difference of priority- the two movies both have flaws, but they are very *different* flaws. . . and also "flaws" ie features that are not actually narrative or structural weaknesses but differences in opinion on what story to tell. If a person is of the opinion that a superhero should *never* retire, ever, than it doesn't matter that this attitude makes no sense in light of the Nolan Batman movies to that point or the themes of TDKR, they will hate TDKR, and probably moreso than Spider-man 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"