Batman: Arkham City - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you're Batman. You could go out in the middle of the day, wearing the sun and no one would know you were there until you hit them. Because you're the goddamned Batman.

The reason Arkham World WOULD be ridiculous (this is for you Anno) is the Arkham portion would be completely redundant. If they want a global conflict of some sort, perhaps in one or two different locations, it would be pushing the concept of Arkham Asylum to ridiculous, ridiculous measures. So what, no we're to believe that an entire country is turned into a prison? And Batman is the only one who can stop it?

No, if they want to do a sequel, trying to one up things on that level would be silly. The only way to truly one up Arkham City would be to remove the Arkham component altogether. Get rid of the limitations of a prison with guards and big walls. An entire city with an actual civillian population would be a big challenge, a step up and something more worthy of Rocksteady's perfectionism. They push things to a new level, not milk ideas and concepts that worked before.

But you're Batman. You could go out in the middle of the day, wearing the sun and no one would know you were there until you hit them. Because you're the goddamned Batman.

My problem is that it doesn't fit the character. Batman's a dark, brooding hero who hides in the shadows, not a bright, flashy one who likes to attract attention to himself.

It does seem like a case of style over substance

It does seem like a case of style over substance

Agreed. I believe superhero costumes should reflect their characters in some way. What does a light-up bat symbol say about Batman? I think it could work for Dick (when he was Batman), but that's because he's a showman. Bruce is a far more pragmatic person than he is, so it feels out of place to me.

I think TDKR will wipe away some of the "Batman showing himself in daylight" stigma. Hopefully that will allow Rocksteady to approach that idea with a bit more confidence knowing it was well received in TDKR (assuming it is).

Yes, which is why you don't want a light-up bat symbol on your chest. I wouldn't them to know of my presence until I punched them in the face. I certainly wouldn't put a light right where my heart, lungs, and other important internal organs are to help them shoot said organs.

You seem to have forgotten how much protected the chest area is and the purpose the Oval has.

Yet you have no issues with Batman revealing his face, which shows a very open spot that a person can just shoot at. Bias much? :cwink:

You seem to have forgotten how much protected the chest area is and the purpose the Oval has.

Yet you have no issues with Batman revealing his face, which shows a very open spot that a person can just shoot at. Bias much? :cwink:

But the armor has been replaced with a light bulb in the Batman, Inc. Batsuit.

And of course I don't have issues with Batman revealing his face. That's a part of the character, and in realism terms, the chest is a far bigger target, and where most schools of shooting teach you to aim for.

And what, pray tell, does the illumination of his chest symbol have to do with protection? Scare away shadow monsters?

And what, pray tell, does the illumination of his chest symbol have to do with protection? Scare away shadow monsters?

Agreed.

No, the armor hans't been compromsied at all. Batman isn't a moron.

Yes, it has. A light-up symbol requires bulbs and/or other illumination sources. Said illumination source takes space away from the armor. The light-up symbol is lame, and always will be. It's everything I don't care for about the yellow oval emblem cranked Up To Eleven.

yes because people yearn to play a game set in the future of 1986...

batman beyond would work for the same reason the cartoon worked, but i don't think that's the right way to go for a third game.

I don't think people yearn to play a Batman game set in the future at all. A grounded future like TDKR -- with Bruce Wayne and his villains -- just happens to be a much better idea than a sci-fi Beyond setting -- with Terry McGinnis and a bunch of no-name villains.

The light up symbol is pretty ridiculous the only way i could see it being useful is if it's dark most of the time and only turned on to flash blind enemies. Then of course turned back off as not to ruin the shock of it.

The armor excuse is also ridiculous, in the thousands of years humans have had body armor has any one heard or illuminating certain spots to draw attention? from medieval knights to modern combat armor?

Agreed. I believe superhero costumes should reflect their characters in some way. What does a light-up bat symbol say about Batman?

It says that he's taking a different approach to crimefighting that hinges on being seen and recognized, not on hiding in the shadows. Grant Morrison basically spelled it out in Incorporated #6:

"Criminals used to be afraid because the didn't know where Batman was. Things are different now. Thanks to Batman Incorporated, I can tell you exactly where Batman is. Batman is everywhere."

The light up symbol is pretty ridiculous the only way i could see it being useful is if it's dark most of the time and only turned on to flash blind enemies. Then of course turned back off as not to ruin the shock of it.

The armor excuse is also ridiculous, in the thousands of years humans have had body armor has any one heard or illuminating certain spots to draw attention? from medieval knights to modern combat armor?

Agreed.

It's there to represent that Batman is there and always is, as the costume is part of Batman's global mission, where there is a Batman for every continent. It's a symbol of fear.

That's the purpose of the symbol, not the light-up function. When I think "light-up bat symbol" I think of a Batman toy, not an awesome Batsuit.

If you keep thinking "grounded realistic" armor, sure. Wayne tech is beyond that tho.

Doesn't matter. The space that is occupied by the illumination source cannot be occupied by armor.

It says that he's taking a different approach to crimefighting that hinges on being seen and recognized, not on hiding in the shadows. Grant Morrison basically spelled it out in Incorporated #6:

"Criminals used to be afraid because the didn't know where Batman was. Things are different now. Thanks to Batman Incorporated, I can tell you exactly where Batman is. Batman is everywhere."

Now that you say that, it makes sense in the context of Batman, Inc.. Otherwise? Hell no.

Now that you say that, it makes sense in the context of Batman, Inc.. Otherwise? Hell no.

Well since Batman Inc. is the context in which Batman currently exists, then it makes all the sense it needs to make.

Well since Batman Inc. is the context in which Batman currently exists, then it makes all the sense it needs to make.

By that, I meant that it wouldn't make sense for the movies or Batman: Arkham City.

By that, I meant that it wouldn't make sense for the movies or Batman: Arkham City.

It can if they just make the story go with it.

You might as well complain about a "Beyond" costume not making sense.

Heck, even Christopher Nolan has realized Batman works fine in daylight, hence we're seeing Batman doing heroics during the daylight in Dark Knight Rises, whos to say the next director realizes that Batman Incorporated is the best thing since chocolate ice cream.

But the Batman Beyond costume makes sense for Arkham City? We're talking about an alt-costume; whether it suits the game is the epitome of irrelevance.

It can if they just make the story go with it.

You might as well complain about a "Beyond" costume not making sense.

Heck, even Christopher Nolan has realized Batman works fine in daylight, hence we're seeing Batman doing heroics during the daylight in Dark Knight Rises, whos to say the next director realizes that Batman Incorporated is the best thing since chocolate ice cream.

But the Batman Beyond costume makes sense for Arkham City? We're talking about an alt-costume; whether it suits the game is the epitome of irrelevance.

I concede. The light-up Bat symbol still sucks.

In fact, the light up Batsymbol kicks all the ass in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"