What if you were the Costume Designer for a Batman movie?

spidermanJLA!~

SUPERHERO
Reaction score
My designs would be more faithful to the comics. To be honest, none of the costumes had the original gray and black/blue costume we all know and love. All because of this realistic thing. A good costume is the one featured in Batman: Arkham Asylum. My design would be somewhat like that.

PS: Please be kind. After all my criticism for that stupid Boom Kapow Spiderman thread I just can't deal with that again.:csad:

I'd probably lean in a similar direction myself, but I wouldn't want to stray TOO far into the comics - some of the more outlandish comic-book costumes I just have a hard time imagining would work in live-action.

In terms of colors, Batman's suit for me would probably be the blue/gray combo so darkened as to be as close to a black Batsuit without actually being black, and the yellow muddied to a dark gold. The compartmented belt of BB/TDK would stay (never did like the little tubes that really you can't get anything into). One thing I would do differently than the past live-action Batsuits, though, is permanent lens coverings over the eyes, but transparent so you can still see his eyes and not have them whited out (this would also serve an HUD function) - if they ever look white, it's actually the shine of light off the lenses. Also I'd have the ears jut OUT, just slightly, instead of in or straight up, to evoke the way Bob Kane used to draw him (and mostly because that's when his cowl seemed most bat-like, IMO). The body armor would be visible, too, though more minimalistic, a la the "Returns" suit.

With Robin, probably some darkened and similarly-armored variation of the Neal Adams suit, but with four changes; the TNBA Nightwing eye-mask, the red breast area would be from the old Robin suit, long red sleeves running from it like on the current suit, and the colors would be swapped out on the boots and leggings (green boots and black leggings, instead of black boots and green leggings).

As for the villains, with certain exceptions they'd probably be pretty simplistic in comparison to past live-action versions, probably most heavily influenced by the DCAU.

- Joker and Two-Face's outfits would probably be toned down a bit to be more akin to their TNBA versions...their faces are going to be elaborate enough.

- Catwoman would be some variation of the most recent comics version, complete with the night-vision goggles.

- Penguin would be all suits and coattails just to keep him away from Burton's gross piggish bird-man.

- Riddler would be the suit/jacket/bowler combo all the way, with them little round sunglasses instead of an eye mask and the question marks dialed down a la BTAS to maybe one on his tie or maybe an oversized lapel pin or something.

- Scarecrow would DEFINITELY be TNBA's shadowy gleamy-eyed hanged-corpse guy in the wide-brimmed black hat and ragged overcoat.

- For Mr. Freeze, I'd probably take a cue from Iron Man's Mark I armor, all patchworked together with pipes and tubes visible, to clearly imply that Fries had to build the suit himself from whatever he could "acquire". I might even have frost and icicles hanging off of it.

Last edited:
I thought the Arkham Asylum suit was pretty good, but the whole Gears of Batman thing doesn't do it for me. Also, the cowl/cape were black on my TV but apparently the intention was for them to be blue. Personally, I prefer the black.

My ideal Batsuit would probably combine elements of BB with elements of AA. The armor wouldn't be black, but it wouldn't be such a bright gray either. I'd also include a couple of touches from other sources. Hell, I'm a painter, I should just do up a rough for the thread. :)

I'd probably do it the same way as in BB. Just maybe make it a little more maneuverable.

My costume redesigns for all the batman live action films (Campy Adam West not included)

Batman 1989:

batmant.jpg

joker07.jpg

Batman Forever-
batmanart.jpg

riddler07.jpg

twoface03.jpg

newrob1.gif

Batman and Robin-

bane07.jpg

batmanalexross.jpg

robiniii02.jpg

poisonivy10.jpg

CONTINUED...

BATMAN AND ROBIN (CONTINUED)

mrfreeze06.jpg

Batman Returns-

penguin04.jpg

catwoman10.jpg

Dark knight/ Batman Begins

Joker and Two Face fine as they are

scarecrow06.jpg

batmanangry1920.jpg

Do you people ever take into account practicallity,flexibility,weight etc?

I'd probably do it the same way as in BB. Just maybe make it a little more maneuverable

How do you figure the BB suit would even remain the BB suit optimized for more menuverability?

Maybe the BB suit is as flexible as it can be without a new design?

You people always ignore the fact that aesthetics and function go hand in hand for these suits.

Your right Nuffsaid I need to thing about things like that. All I cared about was the design not the function. So thanks.

How do you figure the BB suit would even remain the BB suit optimized for more menuverability?

You people always ignore the fact that aesthetics and function go hand in hand for these suits.

Woah, relax there guy. And what i meant to say was that i would keep TDK suit, just make the Bat logo on his chest bigger, like in Batman Begins.

No. Why should we?

My Batman movie costume ideas= By Guillermo del Toro :awesome:

-My Bat suit would be a dark gray with a muted blue/black cowl. It would have the yellow oval and a yellow belt to contrast the dark overtone of the suit. I could care less about the trunks
-Robin would be all practical and safe. He is a kid after all. The colors would be muted but still red/green/yellow. I agree with Jochimus on the black leggings/green boots things.
-Batgirl would be all black except for a yellow symbol/belt. With her hair exposed.
-The Joker would be like the BTAS version. Outlandish costume is needed.
-Catwoman would be just like the comics now. Goggles included.
-Scarecrow is all TNBA like Jochimus said.
-Mr Freeze should have a steampunk feel.
-Poison Ivy should be mostly skin. Like Arkham Asylum.
-Harley Quinn should be like the comics/cartoons but with a half top separating her upper body from her lower body.

I will write more another time.

Batsuit:
Cloth over armor(pads).The cowl would be similar to the BR one,with CGI lenses.
Robin's suit:
Tim Drake meets Damian Wayne:Tim's bodysuit and mask,Damian's boots,belt and cape/hood.

My Batman movie costume ideas= By Guillermo del Toro :awesome:

-My Bat suit would be a dark gray with a muted blue/black cowl. It would have the yellow oval and a yellow belt to contrast the dark overtone of the suit. I could care less about the trunks
-Robin would be all practical and safe. He is a kid after all. The colors would be muted but still red/green/yellow. I agree with Jochimus on the black leggings/green boots things.
-Batgirl would be all black except for a yellow symbol/belt. With her hair exposed.
-The Joker would be like the BTAS version. Outlandish costume is needed.
-Catwoman would be just like the comics now. Goggles included.
-Scarecrow is all TNBA like Jochimus said.
-Mr Freeze should have a steampunk feel.
-Poison Ivy should be mostly skin. Like Arkham Asylum.
-Harley Quinn should be like the comics/cartoons but with a half top separating her upper body from her lower body.

I will write more another time.

He should make a reboot after Nolan that is more stylized and less realistic. He'd be perfect. Killer Croc and Clayface and such.

Batman - More like Arkham Asylum.
Robin - I'd trade the domino mask for a Red Robin styled cowl.

I'm not a big fan of the AA suit so I'd have to disagree with some of you on that one. I'd rather stick with a redesigned black rubber suit like the ones we've had up until The Dark Knight when they started the whole armor thing.

NO. I want to get as far away from the all-black rubber as possible. That whole concept is tired. We need to get to a more traditional version this next time.

NO. I want to get as far away from the all-black rubber as possible. That whole concept is tired. We need to get to a more traditional version this next time.
Yes. I'm not a fan of the traditional Batman costume. The farthest I'd be willing to go is the suit from "In Darkness Dwells"

I would like to explore a batsuit constructed similarly to Cap's in Avengers. Looks fabricy but still armored and tactical. Cape with a leathery texture that is attached in a way that is can close completely around. Charcoal grey and black color scheme. Metallic gold belt and oval for symbol (yeah, I'm an oval guy). Love the first Burton movie's take on the boots and gloves/gauntlets so I would keep close to that. And most of all I would like to explore the possibility of a cowl that is done with applied prosthetics and make up, something that will appear structured but will be extremely tight to the face, and allow full expression and range of motion for the neck.

He should make a reboot after Nolan that is more stylized and less realistic. He'd be perfect. Killer Croc and Clayface and such.

If Del Toro made a Batman flick I'd never stop cumming. I'd probably die from it.

I'm not a big fan of the AA suit so I'd have to disagree with some of you on that one. I'd rather stick with a redesigned black rubber suit like the ones we've had up until The Dark Knight when they started the whole armor thing.

Huh? The "armor thing" started in 1989.

Huh? The "armor thing" started in 1989.

Yup. remember the scene where the Joker's thug pokes the stunned Batman in the chest with his gun and says (something like) "He's wearing some kind of body armor. He's human after all."

For the next Batman film series I want to see a TOTALLY different approach to the Bat suit.

Here's how I'd do it- No more rubber. A sleek black cowl and cape, long-ish ears, with eyes holes that sync up with his actual eyelids so no need for panda eyes makeup. Also I'd have the unexplained white eyes (contacts) for when he is in costume. The main body of the costume would be much less bulky than all movie suits thus far. There would be some kind of light body armour made up of plates like TDK suit, but with more freedom, then over that- the grey comic suit. Basically something ripped straight from the comics, that incorporates some of the real world protection seen in the previous films. I'd also have the utility belt used a lot more, so he was pulling different stuff out of it.

I would bring the nipples back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"