Batman R.I.P questions

BatsnCats

Civilian
Reaction score
Just finished this, and i got the main story but the extra issues cofised me. Why did bruce do this excitement with the lump? And what's up with the Alfred part?

RIP flowed into Final Crisis. During FC, Bruce was captured by Darkseid's forces. They intended to try and clone and replicate Bruce's mind and body to act as a template for the ultimate soldier - crafting an army of Batmen. They used the lump to search through all of Bruce's memories but also alter his recollection of them so that he wouldn't detect this psychic invasion. The lump took the form of Alfred in his memories to make this trip more accepted by Bruce.
Batman, because he is Batman, discovered the act and turned his own memories against them. The clones killed themselves from the torment of experiencing all the pain Batman has experienced in his life. Bruce convinced the Lump to free him, and that led to Final Crisis issue 5.

That's a rough summation. There are more details, of course, but that should cover the basics.

RIP quite literally leads into Final Crisis. Batman recovers from his bout with Hurt, and then is summoned by Superman to help the investigation of Orion's death, which is the starting point of FC.

The events of Final Crisis then lead to Battle for the Cowl.

After about 30 years of collecting Batman this is about where I jumped ship. Is the New 52 stuff any good or is DC just putting out Batman comics just to make money off the character?

why would you jump off at one of the greatest periods of batman comics ever V_V

I didn't like RIP and was really faultering since Hush. I didn't even hate Hush that much but more the Batbook as a whole at that point.

I like the older stuff like the 60's and 70's Batman, Year One and the earlier Loeb books. Back when Brubaker was around the Batbooks is when I really enjoyed them. IMO Brubaker is the most under rated Batman writer ever.

Not big on Grant... at all. I've tried....

After about 30 years of collecting Batman this is about where I jumped ship. Is the New 52 stuff any good or is DC just putting out Batman comics just to make money off the character?

I hear you, brother.

I think the truly great stuff ended at Hush, and that's where it started turning into a gigantic mess. I blame Morrison specifically (not a popular opinion, but it's how I feel).

The New 52 is mostly a gigantic mess too, but I think Snyder is handling the Batman title as best as he can with what he has to work with. Detective Comics is good, but kind of bizarre. The Dark Knight is pretty weird too, but it's okay.

I wish the New 52's idea of starting everything at #1 would've been literally starting everything at #1. Marvel did it with their Ultimate line, and it was mostly good in my opinion (Spider-Man was awesome). But now DC is doing this "We restarted everything, but not really, but we did, but it's still the same continuity, but not really." It's all B.S. It's nonsense.

Honestly, don't bother, lol. Keep reading everything from Year One up until Hush. Pretend like you keep reading all of it for the first time.

I hear you, brother.

I think the truly great stuff ended at Hush, and that's where it started turning into a gigantic mess. I blame Morrison specifically (not a popular opinion, but it's how I feel).

The New 52 is mostly a gigantic mess too, but I think Snyder is handling the Batman title as best as he can with what he has to work with. Detective Comics is good, but kind of bizarre. The Dark Knight is pretty weird too, but it's okay.

I wish the New 52's idea of starting everything at #1 would've been literally starting everything at #1. Marvel did it with their Ultimate line, and it was mostly good in my opinion (Spider-Man was awesome). But now DC is doing this "We restarted everything, but not really, but we did, but it's still the same continuity, but not really." It's all B.S. It's nonsense.

Honestly, don't bother, lol. Keep reading everything from Year One up until Hush. Pretend like you keep reading all of it for the first time.
Yeah I tried reading the new Neal Adams stuff, Action and Aquaman but that didn't last long. I guessed that the other stuff was more of the same.

Yeah I tried reading the new Neal Adams stuff, Action and Aquaman but that didn't last long. I guessed that the other stuff was more of the same.

Yeah, Neal Adams' Odyssey is just not my cup of tea at all. I think it's worse than All-Star.

I hear you, brother.

The only people who really truely started over in this new 52 is the Superman and Wonder Woman family, Green Arrow and now Captain Marvel. Flash and Aquaman got a small reboot and the rest Batman and Green Lantern stayed the same mainly because the ego of the writers and they didn't want their stuff undone. I think this reboot would've have worked better if all started from the ground up but then again I think it would have been better if they all used Superman: Earth One as the start up point for the new 52 and went from there. But then again that's because I think Earth One was 10x better then Grant Morrison origin arc as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"