Batman: The Animated Series vs. Spider-Man: The Animated Series ?

LvtLeeTDK

Fullmetal Alchemist
Reaction score
Recently I have decided to start some of my childhood comic book animated series. And I have to say as a child, I was so into Spider-Man: TAS even though I did not understand most of the plot.
On the other hand, Batman is my favorite hero, but I did not really watch more then 3 consecutive episodes of Batman: TAS (yeah I know, how can I be a Batman fan if I haven't watch this series) so it will be a whole fresh experience for me watching this series.

So which one do you think is better ? Which one should I start first ?

To add to my post, I much prefer series with a grand story to the episodic one.

BTAS by a LONG way.

Spider-Man animated series was fun, but it recycled footage so often, relied way too much on Kingpin to the point that his inclusion made other villains look like lackeys (e.g. Doc Ock, Vulture, Chameleon etc). I didn't like Hobgoblin preceding the Green Goblin. Their version of certain villains like Electro was awful. Sandman was omitted completely from the show. Spidey wasn't allowed to punch anyone. Nobody used normal guns, not even Cops. It was all lazer guns, like something out of Star Wars.

Honestly if you want a true quality Spidey cartoon, go with the Spectacular Spider-Man.

In terms of overall quality: Batman has the better show.
In terms of joy provided by the series: Batman offered more.

In animation though Spider-Man has some of the best animation for TV, frame count and movement are great... most of the times, even though his size changes from one shot to the next.

Less than half of Spider-Man's episodes are very good -> great, the rest are average or below average.

When I look at Batman even the weaker episodes don't make me shake my head as much as the weaker episodes of Spider-Man does, and it doesn't have the annoying cosmic psychic magician.

Which show is more mature ? Because I have watch some action sequence and frankly I don’t really like the action style in BTAS, it’s quite cringey and campy. STAS definitely fits me more in terms of animation and fight scenes.

Then again the most important thing for me is atmosphere and story.

BTAS is more mature by some margin, IMO.

While there were plenty of escapades involving battles with Batman and his big name rogues gallery villains, and many of them could be very mature showing the emotional side of these characters such as Mr. Freeze trying to avenge his wife's death (Heart of Ice), The Penguin being used and spurned by the snobby socialite Veronica Vreeland (Birds of a Feather) etc. There was plenty of gritty crime stories involving the less flamboyant outlaws, many of the episodes stepped back and took a look at the regular people living in Gotham. Some of the very best episodes involved the smallest of stories involving these always three-dimensional characters.

A typecast actor, struggling to survive after a role in superhero show has rendered him unemployable (Beware The Grey Ghost). A divorced ex-convict, willing to go to dangerous lengths to see his daughter (See No Evil). A mob moss deciding whether to turn states evidence after his son gets hooked on drugs (Never Too Late). A disgraced doctor, forced to kidnap a colleague to assist in life-saving surgery on his crime-boss brother (Paging The Crime Doctor). A veteran cop coming to terms with his loneliness and emptiness as someone from his past marks him for murder (A Bullet For Bullock). The Gotham City of BTAS was a real city, filled with real people living lives not unlike you and I. But in this city, that guy who you cussed out after he cut you off on the freeway he might just be The Joker (Joker's Favor).

Honestly if you want a true quality Spidey cartoon, go with the Spectacular Spider-Man.
Just check this out. Honestly I really hate that art style so sorry :funny:. But thanks for the recommendatio .

I prefer the art style of cartoons from 1994 - 2010. The newer art styles are just awful IMO. Like I was a big fan of Ben 10 but I couldnt watch Omniverse due to the art style.

Batman TAS to be certain. You can still enjoy the series in the year 2020 without caveat. But Spider-man feels dated. The animation is stiff, the censorship is off putting and the stories are too goofy. It doesn't help that there is a far superior animated series (Spectacular SM) out there that exposes all of TAS' faults. A similar context does not exist for Batman. The Batman is a poor substitute for BTAS.

I'm a Spider-man guy, so this is easy: Batman The Animated Series wins. It's the GOAT for superhero cartoons. Heck, Spectacular Spider-Man was a better cartoon than Spider-Man The Animated Series was.

The Batman is a poor substitute for BTAS.
Successor, not substitute.

I prefer the art style of cartoons from 1994 - 2010. The newer art styles are just awful IMO. Like I was a big fan of Ben 10 but I couldnt watch Omniverse due to the art style.
Spectacular is from 2008, so it is from the era of art style you prefer.

Batman TAS by far. I still love Spider-Man TAS. It was a great show, and I still watch some episodes from time to time on Disney+, but at the same time, TSSM is even better than Spider-Man TAS.

Yeah Batman TAS wins this one.

Loved both shows but Spidey was heavily censored and recycled scenes (as stated above), but it shined through its constrictions. But it didn't change the game like Batsy did.

BTAS and it's really not even close. Like Spider Fan said, it's the GOAT for superhero cartoons. It also has my favorite depiction of a lot of characters. Joker and Harley are some examples. Just so many great things about BTAS.

Batman, no contest. TAS is literally one of the best screen adaptations of the character and almost 30 years later it's still the greatest superhero cartoon of all time. Spider-Man was fun, but it isn't even the best Spider-Man cartoon ever made.

Yeah Batman TAS wins this one.

Loved both shows but Spidey was heavily censored and recycled scenes (as stated above), but it shined through its constrictions. But it didn't change the game like Batsy did.
It introduced the concept of season long arcs.

It introduced the concept of season long arcs.

It did, and had great names like Neogenic Nightmare and Sins of the Father (love those titles). But you can also argue that BTAS was serialized first, characters referenced a lot of things/events that happened in previous episodes.

BTAS is one of the few cartoons I still watch. Its easily the best media version of the character. Not many superhero cartoons can match BTAS, and Spider-Man TAS isn't one of those cartoons.

Okay. Then I’ll check out BTAS and Spectacular Spider-Man at the same time :funny:

Last edited:
BTAS by a LONG way.

Spider-Man animated series was fun, but it recycled footage so often, relied way too much on Kingpin to the point that his inclusion made other villains look like lackeys (e.g. Doc Ock, Vulture, Chameleon etc). I didn't like Hobgoblin preceding the Green Goblin. Their version of certain villains like Electro was awful. Sandman was omitted completely from the show. Spidey wasn't allowed to punch anyone. Nobody used normal guns, not even Cops. It was all lazer guns, like something out of Star Wars.

Spot on. And even then I'd still go with Batman.

Batman: TAS is on the shortlist of the best animated series ever made. Certainly in the west, and I would put it up there with the best anime as well. Stuff like Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Rose of Versailles, etc.

Last edited:
Both shows were, while not perfect, I think great and very enjoyable. Watching both, liking the comic book characters and having memories of the '90s, you're in for a treat.

Watch Batman first as it did come out first and had some writers and voice actors who worked on both. The only possible drawback to watching it and then Spider-Man is that Spider-Man is, in addition to having cheaper animation, pretty lighter and more kid-oriented but if you accept that going in it will be very enjoyable (and those aspects might not be as damaging as they might seem).

Spot on. And even then I'd still go with Batman.

Batman: TAS is on the shortlist of the best animated series ever made. Certainly in the west, and I would put it up there with the best anime as well. Stuff like Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Rose of Versailles, etc.

Now that is really one of the few animes where there is no filler at all. Only 60 episodes driving to a perfect epic conclusion. Maybe the best series I have ever watch and that includes TV shows.

As a kid I loved Spider-Man The Animated Series and I will always remain nostalgic over it. But BTAS is way better than Spider-Man The Animated Series just due to the fact there was more variety in its storytelling and the show as a whole wasn't afraid to tackle mature themes.

It's shame that censorship restricted Spider-Man The Animated Series as I think it would be a whole lot better if censorship wasn't a issue and the show looks dated as they constantly reuse the same animation for cetain things like Spidey swinging through the city.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"