Batman: The Animated Series vs. Spider-Man: The Animated Series ?

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by LvtLeeTDK, Jun 9, 2020.

?

Better series ?

1. Batman: TAS

46 vote(s)
    95.8%
  2. Spider-Man: TAS

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. LvtLeeTDK Fullmetal Alchemist

What does censorship mean ? It constantly pops up in this thread but I dont quite get it LOL

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  2. Shinobi Shaw Hellfire Club's Black King

Meaning in Spider-Man, Morbius couldn’t act like a real vampire and bite people so they gave him those suction things on his hands to drain people. They also couldn’t say blood and they had to use plasma instead.

Cops didn’t have guns they had lasers, and Spidey wasn’t allowed to punch people lol.

#27 Shinobi Shaw, Jun 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    Spider-Aziz and Kahran Ramsus like this.
  3. LvtLeeTDK Fullmetal Alchemist

Lmao. I definitely remember the show as much darker than that. Honestly the Venom episodes gave me nightmares when I was a kid.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  4. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

Probably your age at the time. I watched it a couple of years ago and it really isn't very dark at all. Batman: TAS was certainly much darker (and had real guns). X-Men: TAS was darker too.

5. Drizzle There's no knowing where we're rowing

This is about as dark as Spider-Man got and it honestly gets funnier the more you watch it.

Lencho01, The Joker and Spider-Aziz like this.
  6. Spider-Aziz Spelunking

Supervision to nerf down violence and restricts horror elements. You don't hear the word dead but you hear words like genocide and lethal and Carnage.

7. The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

LOL oh man I forgot about that scene. I'd love to have seen the voice recording session for that.

Lencho01, Drizzle and Spider-Aziz like this.
  8. Joined:
    Mar 10, 2015
    It's been a while since I've seen episodes of Batman: The Animated Series, but I've been going through episodes of Spider-Man on Disney Plus and while, I still enjoy it, it feels a bit dated. I don't think I'd enjoy it as much as I am if it wasn't for nostalgia and my love for the character.

It's a product of its time, but works for what it is.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  9. Timebomb Registered

Is BTAS on HBO MAX?

10. Shinobi Shaw Hellfire Club's Black King

Not yet but it should be.

They have Return of the Joker though.

Spider-Aziz and Timebomb like this.
  11. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

If you're old school, the BTAS DVD sets are like $10 a piece.

Spider-Fan and Spider-Aziz like this.
  12. Frodo Registered

BTAS and STAS were both favorites of mine in the 90s.

They both do their characters justice. Kevin Conroy and Chris Barnes really defined who Bruce Wayne and Peter Parker were for me, and they're still two of my favorite Superheros along with Superman.

BTAS, was like a mini- movie every afternoon. I looked forward to it every day after school.

STAS was like watching a teen comedy/ soap opera, every Saturday morning. It was part of my Saturday's along with watching Hercules and Xena .

Even though you didn't have the overabundance of geek culture that we have today, the 90s were still pretty cool.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  13. Drizzle There's no knowing where we're rowing

All teasing about the earlier scene I posted aside, I do have to say, the voice acting on Spider-Man was one of the best parts of the show. Barnes was great as Spidey, having Joan Lee as Madame Web was awesome, and it was the reason why I always read Doc Ock's voice with a German accent in my head when I read the comics as a kid.

Spider-Aziz and Shinobi Shaw like this.
  14. Shinobi Shaw Hellfire Club's Black King

To this day whenever I read anything Spidey related, I hear it in Christopher Daniels Barnes’ voice.

He doesn’t get enough credit.

Herofan and Spider-Aziz like this.
  15. Frodo Registered

Totally agree.

In the wake of Maguire, Garfield, Spectacular Spiderman, and other Spiderman related cartoons, Tom Holland, Spiderverse etc, he's been overshadowed and unrated unfortunately.

But the guy was very good. He's actually pretty funny in the live action Brady Bunch films.

In fact, Stan Lee wanted Barnes to play the live action Peter Parker back in the 90s.

Spider-Aziz and Shinobi Shaw like this.
  16. Frodo Registered

Ock was actually voiced by the BTAS Alfred , and Hobgoblin was voiced by Mark Hamill.

Spider-Aziz and Drizzle like this.
  17. MasterBoss Registered

The Batman is actually a decent show though.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  18. Frodo Registered

STAS was fine. Was it the "perfect" Spiderman series? No, but the show was nominated for Daytime Emmy's.

I know there's a recent tendency in fandom to seemingly trash anything older than 2010, but STAS really was a solid series.

As far as BTAS goes, that's something that's unique and in a class of its own imo.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  19. Blade Hoarder Registered

Nah it sucks.

20. Spider-Aziz Spelunking

Yeah, it's a solid show.

21. mclay18 Registered

I agree. There’s a lot to like about “Spider-Man the Animated Series” but it wasn’t as consistent as Batman was. The voice casting was spot-on.

I know it doesn’t get the same kind of attention that those shows do, but “Superman the Animated Series” is on par with Batman, thanks to the same creators. It embraced the sillier side of the character without sacrificing the serious aspects.

Shinobi Shaw and Spider-Aziz like this.
  22. Joined:
    Mar 10, 2015
  23. The Batman The Dark Knight

That's definitely a stretch as far as I'm concerned.

There's a reason STAS doesn't get the same attention as other cartoons. Overall its just decent, not amazing. It had a certain level of consistency, but it was never as great as BTAS' best episodes.

Honestly, its bland take on Superman should automatically disqualify STAS from being on par with BTAS.

24. mclay18 Registered

I don't see many iterations of Superman where he outwits some of the villains rather than just use his super abilities. (We see that in several episodes of "Superman.") And we got original characters like Livewire and Mercy Graves that went on to become comic mainstays.

But the main attraction of the "Superman" series is the quality crossover episodes. "In Brightest Day" got me hooked on Green Lantern as a character and premise, for example. And that Aquaman episode made the character cool.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  25. The Batman The Dark Knight

I mean, this doesn't change, IMO, how bland that Superman was.

It took until Season 2 of Justice League for Timmverse Superman to become a halfway decent character.

I mean, stuff like this says it all. Honestly, in general, it was pretty clear with STAS that Timm and Co. didn't have a great handle on Superman like they did with Batman.