Batman: The Animated Series vs. Spider-Man: The Animated Series ?

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by LvtLeeTDK, Jun 9, 2020.

?

Better series ?

1. Batman: TAS

46 vote(s)
    95.8%
  2. Spider-Man: TAS

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. Joined:
    Mar 10, 2015
    Seeing Spider-Man and Cap team up was cool, but making Electro Red Skull's son? That was a choice :funny:

Maybe the MCU will make Electro the son of Whiplash

Awest66, Lencho01 and Spider-Aziz like this.
  2. Spider-Aziz Spelunking

I thought it was completely dumb at first, but then I thought it was interesting for the story they included it in.

That idea for MCU Electro sounds like a reasonably credible fit for this world, another reason for a Spider-Man foe to have a grudge against Tony Stark and dishes it out on the webhead.

3. Joined:
    Mar 10, 2015
    Same here. The second part of the two parter made it sorta work.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least. Max Dillon - nephew of Mr Vant muh bird

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  4. Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

I'm doing the same, and this show is even better than I remember. Kingpin and Brock are established as looming threats from the start. Ock, Kraven, and Scorpion are shown as scary despite some sympathetic undertones. Spidey is impersonated by Mysterio and Flash early on, and Spidey threatens JJJ (who is perfect in this show) to build believability that people aren't connecting Peter and Spidey. Peter is aware of other super heroes. He's in college, but the first season doesn't slow down the narrative with school-related problems like the high school starting point usually does. Side characters don't have to be de-aged or forced into silly high school roles to included. This show hit the ground runnning.

Awest66, Spidey_62 and Shinobi Shaw like this.
  5. WhoMani Registered

This is the most one sided poll ever on SuperheroHype :funny:

6. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

I think we had the odd shutout, but I can't remember anything specifically.

7. Spider-Aziz Spelunking

It reflects how good Batman: TAS truly is, and why it deserve to this date -nearly 30 years after the pilot premiered- its status as the best superhero/comic book animated TV series.

Awest66, Neil McCauley and WhoMani like this.
  8. Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

I know a lot of fans my age agree with that viewpoint, but the highest that I'd rank it is #4. I still hold Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes as the standard-bearer for super hero animated series. Moreover, having watched Spider-man:TAS in order for the first time since it's airing, I'd have to give it the edge too. I wish more super hero shows went with realistic designs than the weird stylized concepts that we often see. S:TAS looks sublime on a big flat screen.

9. Spidey_62 This is so not spandex

I'm not sure why these two shows are up against each other in a poll here because realistically the answer is clearly BTAS. But personally I think SMTAS still holds up. I mean things about it haven't aged gracefully like animation in a lot of episodes being at pretty choppy framerates, looking awkward, reusing animation, pacing can get super nuts, and the same music 95% of the time- but even with that stuff the show is definitely still a delight to watch. It got Spidey's world, you can tell Semper grew up on the comics and wanted to bring that feel to TV and introduce kids to that same kind of excitement. The show is just really fun to watch and see all kinds of stories develop concurrently, it feels like it inhabits a big world without having those other elements overtake the focus on Spidey's day-to-day.

#84 Spidey_62, Aug 31, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    Awest66 and Bruce Wayne like this.
  10. Neil McCauley Registered

Batman TAS wins, but I disagree that there are flaws in Spidey's TAS, I think the censorship isn't noticeable and the characters, story and maturity is handled well and it simply enjoys itself. Anyways, the animation looks fine and so is the color palette imo. Batman's one is better in some ways, due to acting and animation.

Awest66 likes this.
  11. Another_Fool Registered

Batman TAS easily. Now if we pitted Batman TAS against The Spectacular Spider-Man series then that would be more worthy of a contest. I'd still pick Batman over it but Spectacular Spider-Man is pure quality as well.

12. Mandon Knight This means something to those who believe....

For a Spider-Man series, my advice would be, go for Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. Appreciate I'm old (45) but this is what I was raised on and it's villains were authentically depicted and stories whilst on the whole cheesy (and required mainly a 'heat' level villain to be knocked out by Ice-Man and vice-versa by Firestar, they were solid fun) and they inspired the newly designed Firestar to be brought in as 'cannon').

13. Wheels Groovy

I think Spectacular Spider-Man and Earth's Mightiest Heroes are in the conversation with Batman: The Animated Series. No doubt about it.

I still love Spider-Man: The Animated Series though.

Another_Fool and Awest66 like this.
  14. Neil McCauley Registered

They are in conversation with Beyond, Spidey TAS and X-Men TAS in my opinion.

Batman: TAS is only on par with JLU and The Last Airbender tbh.

Awest66 and Wheels like this.