Batmania: 1989

Sauron said:
I just remembered Taco Bell had plastic cups.

if there the ones your talking about, i think i remember them, and had a few of them. one had catwoman in a pouncing position, i think i had it. i believe when i was veeeery small i had the batwing toy that shot the orange suction cups. i almost got that along with the original toy batmonile and that batman figure with the grapple belt, but i passed on it for now.i still want them though, especually the original batwing toy. heck, i want the original batmissle and batskiboat toys as well, i only have the diecast etrl ones.

I remeber that McDonalds had the Returns cups and Taco Bell had the 89 ones...only 4 were made for the 89 set

DSC03019.jpg

here are some screen caps from the BATMAN 1989 "HYPE" DVD...enjoy!

BATMANCOMPLETE89F-32.jpg

BATMANCOMPLETE89F-35.jpg

BATMANCOMPLETE89F-7.jpg

BATMANCOMPLETE89F-12.jpg

Curse my being born a month before it came out. Why couldn't it have been years? :(

lol michael keaton looks like such a dork...but hes still the man.

Reevz666 said:
I remeber that McDonalds had the Returns cups and Taco Bell had the 89 ones...only 4 were made for the 89 set

DSC03019.jpg
I had the second one. Mcdonald's had "Returns" cups. I got all those. They had special tops that were suppose to like the discs that shot out of the batmobile. My fave out of fast food cups are the Batman Forever glasses, I still have Batman.

didnt burger king have batman cups as well for THAT BATMAN FILM WHICH I DARE NOT SPEAK OF?

McDonalds had the Forever glasses (cups), I have the whole set.

HarleenQuinzel90 said:
What? Batman & Robin?

yeah burger king made cups for batman and robin

too bad nobody made cups for batman begins :down

kooguy911 said:
yeah burger king made cups for batman and robin

too bad nobody made cups for batman begins :down

cups are tacky.

Taco Bell got the license back for B&R. they had the cups. they also had kids meals that featured the animated renditions of the B&R characters.

Burger King had the license for Batman Beyond and Justice League.

heres a quick rundown of who had the licenses for the movies:

1989......Taco Bell

Returns...McDonalds

Forever....McDonalds

B&R.....Taco Bell

for TAS it was McDonalds and as i said, BK had Beyond. TNBA had afew overseas distributions and i believe one regional american release.

those were times that would be awsome to have back though. I guess the movies now adays dont need as much advertising because of the internet

DSC03019.jpg

The fourth one I recognize as the classic Neal Adams pose, I like how the artist made the costume resemble the movie one.

My theater gave out collectors cups at the theaters for Begins.

There are stickers for BB in vending machines at Toys R Us, if they could have that they could have glasses at Mcdonald's. Actually they could've had some really nice ones. That wouldn't have been tacky. I know this movie was meant to focus on the movie other than products which is good, not saying otherwise but, it would've been nice to have something like a glass set if done well. The Forever glasses were cool.

Anyway, still love seeing those pics of the BM89 cups. Brings back alot of memories.

I had an applause Batman figure, about the size of a barbey doll and a few small applause plastic figurines.

i still have the forever glasses, ive been using them latlely, there awsome. i have the whole set with 2 face, riddler, batman and robin glasses. there sweet. i love my batman one, i used to have 2, but one broke. i have doubles of all those glasses, my mom liked them and still uses them for when company comes over as coffee glasses, lol. they are sweet. i also had a AWSOME all-black batman returns coffee ceramic mug that was all black with the big white bat-symbol on it, it was my fav. mug and still is........until it broke.:(

also, keaton looks like such a dork in that pic with the white tuxedo and glasses. stinding next to cool-lookin nicholson and then keaton......i mean, cmon! what does think hes in, the 80's?

oh yeah..........the 80's clothes sucked. i dont blame keaton, i blame the style of the 80's. all i blame keaton for is his hair. but keaton is still the man. :up:

Ya know that pic of Keaton in white next to Nicholson does look nerdy. You could see why everyone was worried about him playing Bats, ya just don't think Superhero when you look at him. Those big rubber muscles came in handy, also that reminds me of the Tiny Toons episode when Batman arrived at a restaurant Plucky was working at and he unzips his suit and he looked all big and cool and everything but then after the suit falls to the ground you see short little dumpy Keaton inside. It was funny.

you wanna know how big merchandise was?in 1989 it sold 750 million dolalrs worth. or., in todays money, batman sold 1.35 billion in merchandise. probably double thatof the spiderman films combined.

Sauron said:
Ya know that pic of Keaton in white next to Nicholson does look nerdy. You could see why everyone was worried about him playing Bats, ya just don't think Superhero when you look at him. Those big rubber muscles came in handy, also that reminds me of the Tiny Toons episode when Batman arrived at a restaurant Plucky was working at and he unzips his suit and he looked all big and cool and everything but then after the suit falls to the ground you see short little dumpy Keaton inside. It was funny.

OMG!!!! i dont fricken believe you said that!! i remember that episode!! not to long ago i was trying to explain that funny batman episode of tiny toons to one of my friends cuz it was mad funny. i dont believe you remember that too, awsome! yeah that was pretty funny, if i remember correctly, keatons batman arrives in his batmobile and hes all cool and big as batman, but then he zips down the whole suit and skinny michael keaton walks out, they did a good caricature of keaton! and i think he gives hampton the pig the batmobile car keys, and then he tries to drive it and pushes a button and it turns into the batwing and does that thing when it goes up to the moon and when it does they add a little "TM" abreviation in the corner, LOL. aaaah, the memories, it was mad funny.:) i think they also had an episode where plucky was tryin to be batman and then keatons batman keeps saying "im batman" in that keaton batman voice, LOL, and i think they also made fun of michelle pfieffers catwoman too, she was like hissing like a real cat, lol.

Marketing was pretty intense for the film. I would say more so than either Spider-man film. Everywhere you looked there were T-shirts, caps, sipper bottles, keychains..... every crazy little thing had a Bat-logo.
What is funny, I don't remember there being a toy line at the time. If there was, it was very minor. The movie wasn't marketed toward young kids as much as the superhero movies of today. Burton was a fairly new director, and this movie totaly showcased his gothic style. Perfect combo. It was different and made an impression. Batman's marketing kinda exploded after the movie proved so popular. Very unlike today's films where the marketing and merchandise are basically planned as part of the gear up for the film long before it comes out.

hey! i just discovered something! look at keaton dressed in the white tux and dorky glasses.

then look at him as batman.

OMG! PERFECT BRUCE WAYNE! nobody in hell would think HE was Batman, but he is! just like the comics!

lol, just sayin.

Batwing6655 said:
i still have the forever glasses, ive been using them latlely, there awsome. i have the whole set with 2 face, riddler, batman and robin glasses. there sweet. i love my batman one, i used to have 2, but one broke. i have doubles of all those glasses, my mom liked them and still uses them for when company comes over as coffee glasses, lol. they are sweet.

Hey! I still have my Batman Forever coffee mug from McDonalds. I have Batman but I love that thing.

Your mom uses them for company?! Classy! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"