Being Yourself

tzarinna said:
I guess this is why I have more men friends then women :marv:

Yet more proof. Again and again, I hear from girls that they prefer the company of men rather than women or that most of their friends are male.

kainedamo said:
Yet more proof. Again and again, I hear from girls that they prefer the company of men rather than women or that most of their friends are male.
Usually it's either extremely attractive females or geeky fangirls that have mostly male friends. :o The former because they feel other chicks hate on them, the latter because the guys share their interest.

Be yourself is all that you can be, yeah:confused:

I don't think it really means anything.

"Be yourself"

Um I'm already as much myself as I'll ever be? :confused:

i won't change for no one if they don't like me to bad

Maxwell Smart said:
I don't think it really means anything.

"Be yourself"

Um I'm already as much myself as I'll ever be? :confused:
Eh, i don't know. Maybe it means not changing yourself or your views to fit in. Not comprimizing, I guess.

I, myself have always tried to march to the beat of my own drum.

That, and I'm weird. Almost everyone that meets me says "you're weird"
So even if I tried to mask it, I don't think I could. It's not like I go out and try to be captain weird.:(

PyroChamber said:
Everyone always says "just be yourself", sounds good but is being yourself REALLY a good idea for certain situations like dating, or going on a job interview, or meeting someone for the first time, etc?

For example, say you meet someone you think is right for you. The topic of interests comes up, she likes cars, sports, going to dance clubs while you on the other hand like comic books, collecting DVDs and action figures, hate going to clubs and don't have a car. Do you be yourself and tell her what you like no matter what she may think, or do you lie and make something up that may get her attention?
Being yourself is best person you can be. If others don't like it, that's their problem.

A lot of people when initially dating someone are on "good date" behavior. That's why I would usually advise people to wait about a year into dating someone before all those lovable quirks someone has turn annoying, or someone's true self come out.

But honestly, you can know someone for years and they can change into someone else.

PyroChamber said:
For example, say you meet someone you think is right for you. The topic of interests comes up, she likes cars, sports, going to dance clubs while you on the other hand like comic books, collecting DVDs and action figures, hate going to clubs and don't have a car. Do you be yourself and tell her what you like no matter what she may think, or do you lie and make something up that may get her attention?
Er, if she's nothing like you, then how can she be right for you, LOL?

At least that's my thinking. I guess I don't usually put up fronts at all, but most people find me open-minded, quirky, and sincere and nobody has a problem with open-mindedness, sincerity and a bit of quirkiness. ;) And if people do have a problem with me, I don't want to associate myself with them. It's really as simple as that.

(Obviously I haven't felt unwelcomed anywhere yet - I get along great with my boss and co-workers, so I think I'm extremely lucky. And no, I haven't had a date in a while, but I honestly would rather find someone who matches me than be miserable trying to pretend I'm someone I'm not. I've been there, and it's really no fun.)

And yes, I'm one of the overly-attractive (HAH!) and/or geeky-fangirl chicks who prefer the company of men rather than women. Most women I know (the ones who are not also geeky fangirls) only talk about getting guys, makeup, and dieting. Obviously not the topics of interest for a geeky fangirl.

all my friends tell me just be your self.. why be something your not

Erzengel said:
A lot of people when initially dating someone are on "good date" behavior. That's why I would usually advise people to wait about a year into dating someone before all those lovable quirks someone has turn annoying, or someone's true self come out.

But honestly, you can know someone for years and they can change into someone else.

I'd agree with being on "good date behaviour" for the first couple of dates. That doesn't mean not being yourself, it just means using common sense. And yes, it can take a long time anyway for your whole self to be revealed to a person.

Erzengel said:
A lot of people when initially dating someone are on "good date" behavior.
Isn't that also how people are on job interviews?

PyroChamber said:
Everyone always says "just be yourself", sounds good but is being yourself REALLY a good idea for certain situations like dating, or going on a job interview, or meeting someone for the first time, etc?

being yourself is not always a good thing...

college, a girl was chilling in my dorm room, she asked me what I was into...

I walked to CD player, and put "the bad touch" song on by bloodhound gang and started doing the robot dance........

she actaully dug it, and liked me... and then I wenr and pulled a dead puppy out of my fridge and ate it infront of her... that killed the deal...

PyroChamber said:

being yourself is not always a good thing...

college, a girl was chilling in my dorm room, she asked me what I was into...

I walked to CD player, and put "the bad touch" song on by bloodhound gang and started doing the robot dance........

she actaully dug it, and liked me... and then I wenr and pulled a dead puppy out of my fridge and ate it infront of her... that killed the deal...

As previous posters have said, just be yourself.

Hell, I'm 18 and if I bring a lady to my room. It wouldn't really bother me. I have tons of Marvel stuff, a Venom bust there...tons of comics scattered everywhere and a few of the figurines. Also, to go along with that...my Muppets merchandise, and ye olde sonic the hedgehog curtain and duvet set.

Yet, if it bothers her. So be it. You just aren't with the right people if you can't be yourself.

One of my ex's once mentioned that she didn't see the point in comics. Ouchies.:o

Honestly, most females do think things like comic books and video games are boring and geeky. There's always those select few that like them, but for the most part you have to relay that part of your life for yourself only if you're dating someone.

^ true.

Thankfully though, my previous girlfriends have sometimes asked me to play computer games with them. They may have kicked my ass on Mortal Kombat, beaten Kingdom Hearts before I even played it...yet, they were all attractive.

While it's always good to put your on your game face when you leave the house, once an attraction has definitely been established, you can let the charade down....

however during that time, try and answer as few questions as poss or be very vague...

usually people don't know how crazy i am until it's too late for them to go back....

muhahahahahahaha....

terry78 said:
Honestly, most females do think things like comic books and video games are boring and geeky. There's always those select few that like them, but for the most part you have to relay that part of your life for yourself only if you're dating someone.
i've always foudn it's not necessarily the hobby itself, but how one reacts to them...

if you don't make a big deal about it then neither will they and then you can play the high ground when they go geeky about when their favourite programme comes on TV.

:up:

When trying to build a new relationship with someone, be yourself or at the very least don't lie about who you are and what you enjoy.

For job intereviews be the best employee you can imagine being.

At a funeral be the most compassionate person you can manage to be.

At a wedding, party or other social event be the most fun/entertaining you can manage to be without making a total ass out of yourself or someone else (unless you enjoy being and looking like a total ass, then go for it).

The Spawn said:
We're never ourselves...there is no such thing as yourself..

Indeed,people are never themselfs in certian situations out of fear or the thought that they might look bad.Its not selfish,its just that you might act differently during a job interview or meeting a potential other.

All the worlds a stage, and we are but merely players...as in we create the character of ourselves depending on the situation...

There is no clown if there is no audience.

I usually sleep through funerals, and I no longer bother with weddings

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"