Benedict Cumberbatch is Doctor Strange

The more I think about it I do want him to stick with his normal accent. I wasn't impressed by his american accent in August: Osage County.

Well not my first choice, but a great casting nonetheless!

I'm only a bit worried that he'll look too..recognizable? I dunno I remember watching Star Trek and being dragged out of the movie a bit
But I'm sure I'll take that back when the trailers/posters release.

And yeah I'd like him to either improve his American accent a bit or just stick with a British one

Could? Sherlock fans are tumblr fans who are Supernatural fans, who are Marvel fans. This is definitely gonna pull in the tumblr crowd. And is actually why i've heard people say this casting is disappointing because they think this is a "tumblr casting choice."

While there are a lot of Cumberbatch fans on tumblr, there's a ton of haters there too. I saw a lot of posts bashing this choice yesterday and saying how they'll never see this movie and Cumberbatch is an overexposed doink who looks like an alien, blah blah blah...one of the posts said "too bad Marvel canceled Dr. Strange" and it got tons of reblogs.

I don't think that backlash (Cumberbacklash?) will affect the movie in 2 years though...more actors will get cast, we'll hear more about the story, and the first costume pics, posters and trailers will come out. If the trailers and posters look awesome, people will become more excited, even if they don't like the batch(TM). It happened with GoTG too, barely anyone was looking forward to that movie on tumblr until the trailer hit.

Last edited:
I don't think that backlash (Cumberbacklash?) will affect the movie in 2 years though...more actors will get cast, we'll hear more about their version of the story, and the first costume pics, posters and trailers will come out. If the trailers and posters look awesome, people will become more excited, even if they don't like the batch(TM). It happened with GoTG too, barely anyone was looking forward to that movie on tumblr until the trailer hit.
Oh man... I remember how set people were against Bautista's casting.

Let's not forget the Affleck Backlash as well, movie hasn't come out yet and people are already warming up to him as Batman.

I'll just leave this here. It's cool though. :)

doctor_strange___mock_costume_concept_by_xteveabanto-d7rg078.png

Is that for real?

Totally willing to give BC a chance at this, WOn't lie that I'm a little disappointed one of my top favorites didn't get it. But excited to finally have a face and see what he can do!

Really happy with this casting. Can't wait to see Benedict doing the rounds on talk shows so he can talk about being casted

too recognizable? That's a new one...

Yeah maybe recognizable isn't the best word to use, unique, distinct-looking?

I dunno, but the more I think about the more convinced it's probably nothing some makeup and a good costume can't fix :O

Oh man... I remember how set people were against Bautista's casting.

*coughLedgercough*

And Chris Evans…

And RDJ…

Since the dawn of superhero movies, there will always be naysayers LOL!

And over on Oh No They Didn't! :hehe:

LAWD!!! That place is overrun by haters, by stans, and by people standing back and watching the meltdowns.

They all had huge conniptions when GOTG was announced, and they quickly changed their tunes.

So I can't wait to see what their response is to this. And to Ant-Man, to be honest. That place can get extra special.

I'll give you a few more:

-Anne Hathaway.
-Jessie Eisenberg.
-Hugh Jackman.
-Michael Keaton.

I feel like by this stage, Marvel Studios have earned enough benefit of the doubt from me that, even if I don't immediately like a casting in one of their movies, I'm willing to wait and see where they go with it. But in this case I really can't fault Benedict Cumberbatch's casting, I think he's gonna be great.

I've seen some people suggest that Benedict Cumberbatch is over-exposed by this stage, that he's in everything. But I think one thing that's worth pointing out is that, though he's now popped up in a couple of genre franchises, it's been in villainous/supporting roles. His only real leading protagonist role in a fandom has been on Sherlock, which is TV. He's proven his leading man chops more in the realm of prestige drama, most successfully in The Imitation Game. But Doctor Strange offers something new for Cumberbatch because it's his first film franchise lead, his chance to get an Indiana Jones part, or John McClaine, or, indeed, a Tony Stark - a recurring starring role that can become a calling card for him on the big screen.

I am really happy about this.

As much as I loved the idea of Joaquin, Cumberbatch is a more than welcome addition to the MCU.

It was only a matter of time. Just look at that face:
b8daa674a563.jpg

Hoping for something like this in regards to his aesthetic on screen:

Benedict-Cumberbatch-Atonement.gif

I.e. mustache only and close cropped hair

He's gonna kill it, I was sold on his voice alone but once makeup and costuming gets done with him he'll nail the look too.

*coughLedgercough*

And Chris Evans…

And RDJ…

Since the dawn of superhero movies, there will always be naysayers LOL!

A lot of people were upset when Mark Ruffalo replaced Edward Norton as Hulk too...he got a very unenthusiastic response at Comic-Con 2010 when it was announced and he came out on stage with the rest of the Avengers cast.

Last edited:
A lot of people were upset when Mark Ruffalo replaced Edward Norton as Hulk too...he got a very unenthusiastic response at Comic-Con 2010 when it was announced and he came out on stage with the rest of the Avengers cast.

That was awful, LOL! I loved Ruffahulk from the get go, and the guy was super ecstatic to be working with RDJ again and on such a huge project, so that was really embarrassing that the fans booed him like that. Pretty classless IMO, especially since he bounded onstage wanting to soak up all the SDCC energy.

Now he's one of the fan favorites and practically won over everyone's heart! :hrt: And he's great PR for Marvel/Avengers during filming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"