Best and worst directors of comic book films?

Marc Webb's direction in ASM 2 is spectacularly bad. From completely wasting Paul Giamatti to the wild tonal swings. One minute we have naturalistic dialogue between Aunt May and Peter and in the next is Batman Forever style camp with Electro and the german doctor. It's bizarre.

This so much. It's like it was directed by at least 2 different people.

Yeah, the tonal shifts in ASM2 are really strange. Spidey acts more like Deadpool that himself in a lot of scenes.

He probably deserves some blame for that, along with every weirdo thinking money and nothing else.

Given that the director's primary job is to direct performances he deserves the lion's share.

Given that the director's primary job is to direct performances he deserves the lion's share.
As a general rule that's true, I'm still tempted to give him the leeway for this one with all the crap surrounding the production of that stupid movie.

For me Shane Black whom I love his normal action stuff was the worst for any A list film since the superhero film age began. As writer and director he pretty much the guy responsible if you love or hate Iron Man 3.

My favorites are Snyder and Joss Whedon

Last edited:
Three of the best: James Gunn, William Witney (who dat?), Bryan Singer

Three of the worst: Brett Ratner, Christopher Nolan, and (hah) Singer again.

Nolan. I am not alone.

I'll agree on Singer's double placement also.

BEST: Donner, Burton, Singer, Raimi, Nolan, Vaughn, Whedon, Russo Brothers

WORST: Schumacher, Pitof, Story, Snyder

Not sure if this means the best/worst directors who've directed comic book films, or the directors who directed the best/worst comic book films. I'll go with the latter;

Best - Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight)
Worst - Joel Schumacher (Batman & Robin)

Best: Christopher Nolan (directed a masterpiece, an origin story that is still a gold standard in the genre and managed to competently end his trilogy), Matthew Vaughn (made two incredible movies out of some obscure, subpar material, and put the X-Men back on the right track) Bryan Singer (responsible for some of the best moments ever put on film in the genre, and some not so great moments as well to be honest), Anthony & Joe Russo (I feel that no other director(s) before got the medium's energy, how much prep-work inventiveness and creativity it requires to put that energy on screen and how it affects the way they direct superhero movies), Joss Whedon (I still think he is more suited for writing, I don't always agree with his choices but he's great with actors, and I think no movie in the genre struck the balance between spontaneity and masterful structure as much as The Avengers did, and given the task at hand it is a significant accomplishment).
Worst: Zack Snyder (butchered Watchmen, botched a halfway competent Superman origin story and turned the World's Finest into a laughing stock, and given the fact that he had apparently complete control over those movies that's adding insult to injury), Mark Steven Johnson (just like Snyder lacks any form of subtlety whatsoever, missed the mark on Daredevil, tried to make a somehow unintentionally funny parody out of Ghost Rider and of course penned the dreadful Elektra).

Last edited:
For those who like a challenge:

Can anyone ID the CBM film directed (or rather, co-directed) by William Witney w/o checking Google, imdb, etc.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"