Best CBM of 2017

Logan A++
Homecoming A
Ragnarok A
Vol.2 A-
WW A-

Even though I'd rank the films in this order, I voted Vol. 2 for the sheer pleasure it gives me every time I watch it. I have a feeling Ragnarok may surpass it on that level when I get the Blu-ray, but until that time I gotta give Vol. 2 that mantle. Logan is the best film and Spidey is my favorite character, but I love that Guardians crew.

Last edited:
I haven’t seen LEGO Batman or Ragnarok, earlier I said Logan because of all of these that is my favorite and I think the best. But to pick a few I say Logan, GOTG 2 and WW.

1. GOTG Vol. 2
2. Wonder Woman
3. Thor: Ragnarok
4. Spider-Man: Homecoming
5. Logan
6. JL

Didn't see Lego Batman.

Nice to see GOTG.2 get a few more votes, I think it’s the most under rated of the bunch personally.

Yeah. GOTG was my personal favorite. Great characters, great villain, amazing visuals and a lot of heart. Plus that soundtrack was literally the ONLY thing I listened to for a month.

Personally Logan was my favourite, but GOTG2 was great, loved how they progressed things from the first, which I also loved.

Kingsman 2 is a cbm. Should have been on the poll, though I can't imagine anyone voting for it.

Kingsman 2 is a cbm. Should have been on the poll, though I can't imagine anyone voting for it.

Saw it recently. Aside from the downgrade in gore compared to the first (straight up soft R and way less Tarantino-inspired), Vaughn really knows how to shoot action for this series. It was almost trying to be the same movie as the first, but I did enjoy what Goldman & Vaughn changed up for this
...which is mostly Harry-related. Oh and Bruce Greenwood in the most hilarious role I've ever seen him do.

Logan was one of the best films of the year for me. Nothing against the other CBM's, its been a pretty good year all round, but that one just hit new notes and entered new territory for me for the genre in general.

Logan and Ragnarok are equally my favourites, how funny that after I voted, I found out that I made it 42-41 for Logan and Ragnarok respectively.

I'm in the minority here, for me the film I enjoyed the most was GOTG vol 2, because I feel like it had the most personal stakes for the characters, and it was great seeing the Guardians back in action again.

I love Logan, but found the ending too bleak. Very strong as a dramatic film.

Thor Ragnarok was pure fun, loved it - and I'm not a fan of Thor.

WW was good, GG was terrific as the lead (the rest of the cast not so much) a bit overrated in my book, but a very strong showing for the character at least.

Spider Man Homecoming, loved it, my favourite spider-film. Tom Holland nailed it.

JL, kind of a messy version of Avengers with a pretty average villain and a paper thin plot (but some good fan service and more likeable characters).

Mjölnir;36069057 said:
It's not universally praised everywhere. It's the second lowest reviewed superhero movie of the year in my country (although still leaning positive, but actually getting some criticism for the feminist message being hollow) and it never managed to reach the #1 spot of any week here.

I'd say that the exceptional part of WW's success is North America.

I kind of doubt that someone who really thought WW was #1 voted for some other film just because many others liked it. That's just too high hipster level.

Fair enough. I suppose I was basing that sentiment on how it was received in the U.S. Here it touched a cultural nerve, and I think has a real shot at getting awards recognition, which is unusual.

As for voting, I voted for Logan myself. I think it is a better movie. I was simply commenting that (perhaps more so in America), Wonder Woman is much better received in the mainstream than it is in comic fan circles.

Last edited:
I loved Wonder Woman, but I can see why someone would put Logan and Thor: Ragnarok over it. I liked both of them more. It mostly stems from the fact that, for me, act 3 is weaker than act 1 or 2. The fight between Diana and Ares is not great, and while it was a great swerve for who he was, he was a character we only barely saw, and even when he was in the armor, I saw Professor Lupen. He wasn't as intimidating a presence as he maybe should have been. It doesn't ruin the movie by any means, but I do that 3rd act is worse than what we got in a couple other CBMs. In a weaker year, it probably owns this poll, but 2017 was a strong year.

As someone who likes Logan more I mostly agree, although the third act doesn't bother me much in WW. But I get it. (For the record, my one major critique for T:R is not liking the first act but that is getting lost in the weeds).

To put what I was saying another way. I think Logan is much better than Wonder Woman (though I really like that movie, and think it has a focus on sets and locations that I wish other CBM from all studios would learn). But I think WW has a better shot at getting awards recognition. That stems from it being perceived much more strongly in the film industry and mainstream media than it is on online forums like this. That was all I was saying.

Logan’s third act was a bigger letdown for me than any of the other movies.

Except JL I guess, since that whole movie is blandly adequate.

Agreed, I saw it and really liked it. I wouldn’t vote for it as the best, but it’s much better than the reviews suggested.

That's the thing with choose the best polls. If every one of us had a film down as 2nd best which we all loved it could get no votes. Just the nature of that type of poll.

That's the thing with choose the best polls. If every one of us had a film down as 2nd best which we all loved it could get no votes. Just the nature of that type of poll.

It would have interesting to see how many votes Kingsman 2 got.

We could always do it Academy Awards style with a tiered ranking system that weights a consensus picture as the best. :oldrazz:

This is a hard question. I think Homecoming was my favorite, but Logan was objectively the best.

We could always do it Academy Awards style with a tiered ranking system that weights a consensus picture as the best. :oldrazz:

I don't actually know how they do it. Would be interested to know. Do you have any details you could link me to?

I don't actually know how they do it. Would be interested to know. Do you have any details you could link me to?

Well just using Best Picture as an example.

If there are nine nominees in a given year, each Academy voter is asked to rank the nine movies in their preferred order. Your number 1 movie of that year would thus get nine points. Your second choice would get eight points, third seven points, and so on and so forth. You can also leave movies off so they get no points from your ballot.

So in theory, a movie that got very few number 1 votes, but came consistently in everyone's second place in a fractured race could become Best Picture. This is also the case if it is a two-man race, supposedly the film that is consistently getting second place between those who are voting the "other" movie lower could also become "Best Picture."

However, if someone wanted to be anal enough with the numbers, we could use it to weight an order so that we come to a consensus ranking. Not that I am volunteering. ;)

Well just using Best Picture as an example.

If there are nine nominees in a given year, each Academy voter is asked to rank the nine movies in their preferred order. Your number 1 movie of that year would thus get nine points. Your second choice would get eight points, third seven points, and so on and so forth. You can also leave movies off so they get no points from your ballot.

So in theory, a movie that got very few number 1 votes, but came consistently in everyone's second place in a fractured race could become Best Picture. This is also the case if it is a two-man race, supposedly the film that is consistently getting second place between those who are voting the "other" movie lower could also become "Best Picture."

However, if someone wanted to be anal enough with the numbers, we could use it to weight an order so that we come to a consensus ranking. Not that I am volunteering. ;)

Oh I love that system! Thanks. Glad something at the Oscars makes sense.

So far...

1) Guardians of the Galaxy 2
2) Logan
3) Spider-man Homecoming
4) Thor Ragnarok
5) Wonder Woman
6) Lego Batman

I'll vote when I see JL, after payday, lol.

(Loving the OP, what a legendary year for CBMs)

Okay saw Justice League.

Wasn't too bad. I actually got more entertainment value from JL than I did WW.

I guess a strong finish is more important than a strong start for me.

Anyway.

1) Guardians of the Galaxy 2
2) Logan
3) Spider-man Homecoming
4) Thor Ragnarok

5) Justice League
6) Wonder Woman

7) Lego Batman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"