Best CBM of 2017

The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Can't wait till they close out the trilogy.

I liked all of them, didn't love any of them.

Wonder Woman and Logan feel like the ones I'm mostly likely to come back to years from now.

1. Spider-Man: Homecoming (A)
2. Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 (A-)
3. Wonder Woman (A-)
4. Thor: Ragnarok (A-)
5. Logan (B+)
6. Lego Batman (B-)
7. Justice League (C+)

Logan A++
Homecoming A
Ragnarok A
Vol.2 A-
WW A-

I'm surprised WW hasn't had a better showing in this poll.

I'm not. There's three other CBMs that are better than it this year.

Yep, I would say 4, vastly better.

For me, Logan was best, with WW coming in second. The others (except for LB and GotG2, which I haven't seen) kind of bored me to various degrees.

I think most of the CBMs this year were great, with the exception of JL. I would say Logan was the best film, but Thor: Ragnarok was my favorite. I don't think Thor: Ragnarok deserves like major Oscar consideration, while I would argue Logan may warrant it. Thor: Ragnarok reminded me of one of my all-time favorite films, Flash Gordon. It's gloriously ridiculous in all the right ways and just a sheer joy to watch. It being a CBM version of one of my favorite films made me just enjoy it so much. Logan is an amazing film, and I would say one of the best ever made CBMs, but I have to more be in a mood to watch it, while Thor: Ragnarok I probably could watch anytime. For that reason, I voted for Thor: Ragnarok (favorite over best).

Last edited:
Logan. It's not even close. It's like comparing Wendy's to a filet mignon for the most part

Well put. I would rate every superhero film this year at the very least "fun", but Logan was so much more. Transformative, instantly iconic, testament to both the comics and 15 years of X-Men films.

1. Logan
2. Wonder Woman
3. Spider-Man: Homecoming
4. Justice League
5. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Logan to me is like Citizen Kane. I can appreciate it from a cultural and historic standpoint but I would only watch it once. Thor Ragnorok I can watch a few times in a row.

If the poll asked which film was more important I'd say Logan... but it said favorite and that to me is Thor Ragnarok and it aint even close.

Too difficult to choose this year!

1. WW
2. Thor
3. Gotg
4. Spidey
5. Batman
6. Logan
7. Kingsman
8. Jl

Well put. I would rate every superhero film this year at the very least "fun", but Logan was so much more. Transformative, instantly iconic, testament to both the comics and 15 years of X-Men films.

1. Logan
2. Wonder Woman
3. Spider-Man: Homecoming
4. Justice League
5. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Logan was great, but I think it's more a testament to the films than the comics. The relationship between Charles and Logan is so much more important in the films than it ever was in the comics, and Logan has been a mentor for young women a few times in the comics and don't tend to dismiss that in the way he does here.

It doesn't matter that Logan is completely at the center here though since it's a solo film. It's been a much bigger issue that the X-Men films have been like that at many times, as it's been at the expense of other characters.

I'm surprised WW hasn't had a better showing in this poll.

I am not, the comic book community seems to dislike it more than the mainstream, maybe in part because it is so universally praised elsewhere. I do think it will stand the test of time really well though. It tapped into something that made it more than just an entertaining ride.

(and I write this as someone who voted for Logan)

I think WW would be doing better if it was a ranking rather than a poll to pick only one. On these pick one/pick the best polls the ones that do better have one aspect which stands out the most, whereas WW is more of a solid film in all categories rather than being no.1 in anything particular.

Logan by far. So good, you forget you're watching superhero movie.
Might be top 3 of the year material for me...

Thor, Logan and Vol.2

The rest were just terribly mediocre or just utter crap.

I didn't watch Lego Batman

I am not, the comic book community seems to dislike it more than the mainstream, maybe in part because it is so universally praised elsewhere. I do think it will stand the test of time really well though. It tapped into something that made it more than just an entertaining ride.

It's not universally praised everywhere. It's the second lowest reviewed superhero movie of the year in my country (although still leaning positive, but actually getting some criticism for the feminist message being hollow) and it never managed to reach the #1 spot of any week here.

I'd say that the exceptional part of WW's success is North America.

I kind of doubt that someone who really thought WW was #1 voted for some other film just because many others liked it. That's just too high hipster level.

Mjölnir;36069057 said:
I'd say that the exceptional part of WW's success is North America.

That's just the measurable truth, oversea BO and reviews are there to prove it.
But lots of people around here won't accept facts, believe me, I tried to explain it.

Out of curiosity, which 4 did you like more?

Starting from the best: GotG2, Ragnarok, Homecoming, Logan.

I loved Wonder Woman, but I can see why someone would put Logan and Thor: Ragnarok over it. I liked both of them more. It mostly stems from the fact that, for me, act 3 is weaker than act 1 or 2. The fight between Diana and Ares is not great, and while it was a great swerve for who he was, he was a character we only barely saw, and even when he was in the armor, I saw Professor Lupen. He wasn't as intimidating a presence as he maybe should have been. It doesn't ruin the movie by any means, but I do that 3rd act is worse than what we got in a couple other CBMs. In a weaker year, it probably owns this poll, but 2017 was a strong year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"