Best Marvel trilogy ?

Leaving aside the arguments for what does/doesn't count as a trilogy, from that list Captain America is my #1. Blade is a close second.

Blade is a good example I think of a film franchise with 3 arguably stand alone entries that is a trilogy. If a 4th movie with Snipes were to be added years later now (which not happening of course but for example's sake) the original 3 films would still be a trilogy and be 1 way street analogy similar to 4th Indiana Jones was as of course Indiana Jones is still 3 films as part of the original product. If Goyer had made a follow-up shortly after Blade not a reboot in any way but another stand-alone product after Blade 3 in similar vein then we would have a quadrilogy of 4 pretty much stand alone films making up the same product.

There are of course some exceptions to additions being made to a franchise many years later with different creative personnel involved and I think alien 1 to 3 is a good example of this. The 4th entry was when fun was to be had with the IP and took the franchise in another direction so I think most consider that to be a spinoff akin to a soft reboot.

The Wolverine franchise's first entry Origins was the first of several planned origins films meant to spinoff the Xmen trilogy. The other origin films didn't happen. The wolverine and logan can both be considered stand alone from each other yet in a way connected by personnel involved. 3 stand alone entries as trilogy I would say would work but feel Origins is widely considered as retconned and part of a different product being the planned Origins films.

The Wolverine franchise's first entry Origins was the first of several planned origins films meant to spinoff the Xmen trilogy. The other origin films didn't happen.
I was really looking forward to an Origins: Magneto movie. Still, we got most of what they intended for it in X-Men: First Class, which is still basically a Magneto origin movie.

The thing is these aren't really film trilogies. The closest thing that comes to that is the Iron Man movies.
Spider-Man (poll clears we're talking the Sam Raimi films here) and Blade are trilogies without any material in between.

I got Captain America. But shouldn't the Avengers be counted as a trilogy as well?
Depends. Do you consider Matrix as two movies and Hunger Games as a trilogy.

Nice to find someone else who thinks so :up:
Lou Ferrigno shake hands with Edward Norton gif.

I was really looking forward to an Origins: Magneto movie. Still, we got most of what they intended for it in X-Men: First Class, which is still basically a Magneto origin movie.

Yeah, I remember a Storm movie being talked about too after she was played up a bit more so in the 3rd movie giving her more to do. The tide was against this happening though and I'm still curious how far these other films actually got in the planning stages.

An Origin's series would've been fun to see. I thought Wolverine: Origins was still a fun movie to watch but knowing the comic material it could've been so much more and a few parts like the one with the Adamantium bullet being the source of Logan's memory loss were just un-inspired and not very comic loyal or really even going on what was established in previous films but aw well.

Spider-Man (poll clears we're talking the Sam Raimi films here) and Blade are trilogies without any material in between.

Yeah, in that post you quoted I was counting the MCU films so far but the Raimi films and Blade are both trilogies I agree. X1 to X3 is also a trilogy.

a) Trilogies by Narrative Framework: The fact there's material in-between MCU films doesn't necessarily rule some of these out as trilogies by itself but certainly lends to it. There needs to be a strong narrative capsule I think for three straight films to reside within to make it a trilogy in the MCU.

Gaurdians still can if the 3rd entry serves as a bookend to the franchise without a lot of narrative leadoff. How much the Avengers movies factor into the narrative of the film I think will determine this as well. Ant-Man same thing but the fact they may go further with the Quantum realm concept is interesting but if it ends up being an event based film centering around introducing other characters for other movies besides Ant-Man then it may very well be a good movie but likely not a trilogy in that case.

b) Trilogies with Stand-Alone Entries but Part of Same Product: The alternative approach to trilogies (with 3 stand-alone movies with not a lot of narrative connections but belonging to the same product) in a vein similar to Blade or Indiana Jones I think is maybe next to impossible in the MCU to meet a trilogy by this part of the definition.

*Trilogies can always be added to at a later point resulting in maybe or maybe not still being considered a trilogy regardless if it met the criteria by afformentioned a) narrative framework or b) stand-alone entries within same product.

Last edited:
If so, then what about

X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Deadpool and Deadpool 2 ?

As XM Origins showed his early form.

No. Origins isn't Deadpool's film, none of the other characters from origins are in any of Deadpool's films and the version of Deadpool that exists in Origins has nothing whatsoever to do with the Deadpool movies beyond the fact that the Deadpool movies happily make fun of it. You might just as well try to argue that Green Lantern is part of the Suicide Squad trilogy because it has Amanda Waller in it.

No. Origins isn't Deadpool's film, none of the other characters from origins are in any of Deadpool's films and the version of Deadpool that exists in Origins has nothing whatsoever to do with the Deadpool movies beyond the fact that the Deadpool movies happily make fun of it. You might just as well try to argue that Green Lantern is part of the Suicide Squad trilogy because it has Amanda Waller in it.
Well, I am not saying it is a part of trilogy or not. But, Ryan Reynolds was in all 3 movies and he played that part.

Angela Basset played Amanda Waller in GL and a different actress, Viola Davis plays Amanda Waller in Suicide Squad, so not the same thing.

Well, I am not saying it is a part of trilogy or not. But, Ryan Reynolds was in all 3 movies and he played that part.

Angela Basset played Amanda Waller in GL and a different actress, Viola Davis plays Amanda Waller in Suicide Squad, so not the same thing.

That he played the part doesn't matter. It's still very clearly and unquestionably intentionally a different part that just happens to have the same name. Think of Judi Dench as M before and after the Daniel Craig Bond reboot. It's a different version of the same character because the movies aren't meant to be connected that way.

And there's still the other obvious bit that Origins was never Deadpool's movie in the first place, so even if it were the same character it would be like counting Spider-man Homecoming as an Iron Man movie.

X1, X2, X3. Its a trilogy where there is an overarching story and development of arcs for its major characters. Given how much flack the new Star Wars trilogy is getting for its lack of planning, I think Xmen trilogy achieves it even though X3 was middling (although that looks far better now since Dark Phoenix released)

Is this a trilogy ?

X-Men Origins: Wolverine, The Wolverine, Logan.

51-Nr-ABEKXs-L-SY445.jpg

I do love these movies, but that's because I'm basic and just love wolverine and hugh Jackman.

Really tough between Captain America and Spider-Man, so I voted for both. I prefer The First Avenger over Spider-Man 3 and I think Winter Soldier and Civil War are about equal to Spider-Man 1&2.

Iron Man is a good trilogy, aside from Iron Man 2 which was obviously rushed.

I've only seen Blade 1 and Blade II.

The X-Men trilogy is solid.

Thor is decent, The Dark World is meh and Ragnarok is good but overrated.

I go with Spider-Man. Tonally, it's consistent with what came before and a lot of that has to do with Sam Raimi directing all three installments. You don't have a sudden shift in tone- even with some of the black suit stuff since it doesn't take up the entirety of the movie- and feel you do with other thirds in films like Superman III, Blade Trinity, The Last Stand, or Batman Forever.

I would say Cap, but despite his name being in the title, I wouldn't exactly call Civil War a Captain America film instead of what it is: an Avengers film.

Captain America has possibly the best trilogy of any superhero - I waver back and forth as to whether it's better than Nolan's TDK trilogy. Honestly, nothing else in the list comes close.

Cap TFA is the weakest of the films, but still a reasonable origin film - let down by a poorly executed one note villain ( Hugo Weaving does well with pretty lame material).

Cap TWS is simply one of the all time best cbms IMO. The action is sublime, Evans is likeable as Cap and earnest without being sanctimonious, the supporting cast is superb. It's great, and if I may say, underrated.

Cap CW is probably the MCU's best blockbuster, juggling a big cast and 2 big leads successfully. It even manages to introduce Black Panther and Spider Man.

If GOTG vol 3 is as good as the first one, it might knock over Cap ( I loved Vol 2, but I know some didn't) but until then he's the king of MCU trilogies as far as I'm concerned.

On that note, I think Thor deserves some props, I don't get the hate people seem to have for TDW ( I enjoyed it, despite its faults) and Ragnarok is just fantastic.

I would easily vote for the X-Men or the Spider-Man if their respective third movie were as good as their precedessors.

Captain America 1 has to be one of the blandest cbms I've seen. I cannot stomach it without feeling meh. But that is less problematic than X3/Sm3 and had less wasted potential, so I have to give my vote for Captain America.

While none of the Iron Man/Thor movies have reached the heights of the best X-Men/Spider-Man movie for me to even consider them. Blade... those three films were not good.

Wait................what? And I know it's four films but still..............it's not a trilogy? That's a technicality it at it's finest! :huh:
Well how can anyone really consider it as a trilogy, when there's a fourth Avengers movie which is Endgame.

Yeah. Saw First Class on TV last night ( saw it in the cinema) it really is a Magneto and Xavier origin film - Magneto getting the best lines.

I’ll go with Iron Man. All the others have at least one bad sequel (Thor DW, Captain America CW, Blade Trinity, X-Men 3, Spider-Man 3) and I actually like Iron Man 2.

I’ll go with Iron Man. All the others have at least one bad sequel (Thor DW, Captain America CW, Blade Trinity, X-Men 3, Spider-Man 3) and I actually like Iron Man 2.

I really disagree with Captain America CW being a bad sequel.

I really disagree with Captain America CW being a bad sequel.

That’s fine. I think it’s more an Avengers 2.5 anyway. I just don’t think it works at all, the entire plot hinges on a character nobody cares about ie Bucky.

I think people gave it a pass at the time because we got to see all our Avengers fight one another, but now with better Avengers films since, it hasn’t aged all too well.

I feel that Marvel could have given us a better Iron Man movie with Mandarin and Ten Rings but didn't. Same with Captain America, instead of Civil War (that is Avengers 2.5), I would have preferred a stand alone Captain America movie.

Lost potential there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"