Best of the Best: Which MCU films are your favorite?

NealKenneth

Civilian
Reaction score
Hello again! Haven't posted here in awhile, but a year or two ago I polled this forum, curious to see which films in the MCU you guys think are the best. Now, with 14 films and some time having passed since our newest one, I'm interested to see an update.

This poll is a bit different because you can vote for as many as you like. :)

Guardians of the Galaxy is definitely the best MCU film. It reminds me of 80s blockbusters like Back to the Future and Ghostbusters: a fun, feel good movie where you come away grinning from ear to ear.

My top 5 are
1) Civil War
2) Age of Ultron (I know...)
3) The Winter Soldier
4) The Avengers
5) Iron Man

1. Civil War (Best SH movie ever)
2. Age of Ultron (CW improves this movie 100x)
3. The Winter Solider
4. GotG
5. Dr. Strange

My top 5 are
1) Civil War
2) Age of Ultron (I know...)
3) The Winter Soldier
4) The Avengers
5) Iron Man

Age of Ultron isn't as bad as people make it out to be, same with Iron Man 3.

1. Civil War
2. Winter Soldier
3. Ant Man
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Dr Strange

These lists are always hard because they always change. I chose these films becuse I've watched them so many times in theaters and at home. I think I saw Ant man and Strange each 3 times in the theater. Marvel has only gotten better so I won't be surprised if the new films continue to top my lists.

Cap Civil War, The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Cap The Winter Soldier, and Iron man 3

Age of Ultron is a fun movie. I don't get all the hate.

The third act of the film feels like a repeat of the first film, except it takes place in Sokovia instead of New York.

For me, AOU, you can tell Wheedon's 'heart' is on 'just get through it' mode, I think it's an 'ok' film, not bad by any stretch, but just that the feeling of 'fun' felt in the first Avengers film is missing and with it Wheedon's mojo.

There are three that I think are clearly the best. Guardians of the Galaxy and the two Captain America sequels. While they are all enjoyable, those three are on another level.

Winter Soldier, First Avenger, Iron Man 2

It's gotta be Avengers, Guardians, Winter Soldier and Civil War. No particular order, but they're easily the top four.

For me, AOU, you can tell Wheedon's 'heart' is on 'just get through it' mode, I think it's an 'ok' film, not bad by any stretch, but just that the feeling of 'fun' felt in the first Avengers film is missing and with it Wheedon's mojo.

It felt like they were hitting a lot of the same beats as the first film. It's not a strong film but it's a very enjoyable movie IMO. The gimmick of the first movie was seeing all of these characters in the same movie for the first time, so that was something this movie didn't have. I think Whedon was really a "one and done" kind of director for Marvel, and I'm glad the Russos will be taking over for the third and fourth Avengers movies.

I love them all, but i only voted for top 5: Avengers, Cap 2, Cap 3, Avengers 2, GotG

Civil War
Age of Ultron
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Winter Soldier
Avengers

Doctor Strange is veeery close to Avengers right now. The rest is really good with TIH as the 'weak' spot. I really want Ragnarok to make my top 5.

No particular order, expect for the first two:

> Captain America: Winter Soldier
> Captain America: Civil War
> The Avengers
> Guardians of the Galaxy
> Iron Man

The bottom of the barrel, no particular order

> Iron Man 2
> Iron Man 3
> Thor: The Dark World

1. Iron Man
1.5. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Captain America: Civil War
4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
5. The Avengers
6. Ant-Man
7. Dr. Strange

Favorite
Winter Soldier

Loved
Avengers
Iron Man

Liked a lot
Incredible Hulk
Civil War

Liked
Captain America 1

Nope...
Thor
Thor 2
Iron Man 2
GotG

Hated
Iron Man 3
AoU

Didn't bother watching
Doctor Strange
Ant-Man

The Best:
Civil War
Dr. Strange
Iron Man 3
The Winter Soldier
Age of Ultron

The Rest of the Best:
Avengers
Iron Man
The First Avenger
Ant-Man
Guardians of the Galaxy

The Rest:
Thor
The Dark World
Iron Man 2
Incredible Hulk

-----------------------------

Civil War and Dr. Strange are toss ups for my personal favorite. I think Dr. Strange beats it out by a hair, because that is one of the few Marvel Studios films that actually exceeded my expectations.

It would be a lot of hassle for me to rank my top 5 from 1-5 so these are in no particular order:

Avengers
Avengers: Age of Ultron (loving the props this is getting in the comments, unfairly maligned, in my opinion)
Iron Man 3 (not as unfairly maligned as this film though!)
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: Civil War

The Best:
Civil War (pits the team against each other instead of a formulaic one-off villain)
Avengers (first majorly successful crossover on screen. amazing action and scale)
Doctor Strange (psychedelic trip, interesting use of infinity stone and final battle)
The Winter Soldier (subversive villainy, emotional resonance, political statement)
Incredible Hulk (brutal brawling not seen in many other MCU films, doesnt feel like the rest)
Iron Man (first of the best, solid impactful origin story, doesnt feel like the rest)
Guardians of the Galaxy (surprise, proof anything goes with the right character development)

The Rest of the Best:
Age of Ultron (muddled and way too fast paced, formulaic villain)
Ant-Man (silly and mostly irrelevant to the universe at large so far, formulaic villain)
The First Avenger (awkward and too patriotic, weak villain)
Iron Man 2 (meandering and uncertain, under utilized villain)
Iron Man 3 (swing and a miss, twist was lame imho, eye-roll villain)
The Dark World (forgettable, too much human focus and weak plot, under utilized/formulaic/weak/eye-roll villain)
Thor (boring, not enough action and too much human focus)

Iron Man, Avengers, Winter Soldier, Civil War, and Guardians of Galaxy are my favourites.

The Winter Soldier
Civil War
Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man
The Avengers

Ant-Man and Doctor Strange are pretty close in my opinion.

Next year looks really promising with Ragnarok, Guardians 2 and Homecoming, hopefully one or two of these will make my top 5.

The only one that isn't an obvious pick I voted for was Hulk. Not because it was a great movie, but it was still the Hulk and that alone earns it some points.

I think the opening scene in the warehouse is a great scene and one of the best moments in Marvel films. I've also been disappointed with how Hulk has been used in the Avengers films. He seems too 'tame' and too willing to hang out with those costumed freaks than he should.

So it may not be a great film, but it's the best portrayal of one of my favorite Marvel characters.

I think the opening scene in the warehouse is a great scene and one of the best moments in Marvel films. I've also been disappointed with how Hulk has been used in the Avengers films. He seems too 'tame' and too willing to hang out with those costumed freaks than he should.

I can agree with that. The first time one sees the movies opening half hour, you know you're watching a totally different film than Lee's.

Banner was apprehensive about going with Black Widow in the first Avengers, and obviously won't be as willing to hang anymore after AoU. We will have to see how the story develops but I think for Bruce, having been on the run and in solitude as long as he was he earned a place where he was welcome. He had to be accepted at least for a little while before an event like the Hulkbuster fight could turn the public's perception of him south.

Avengers: Age of Ultron (loving the props this is getting in the comments, unfairly maligned, in my opinion)
Iron Man 3 (not as unfairly maligned as this film though!)

Hi5!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, for better or worse, AoU was the film equivalent of the annual Marvel Comics event books, House of M, Civil War, Age of Ultron, Secret Invasion, etc. It has the same strengths and weaknesses as many of those stories.

I also have a fondness for seeing the Avengers pull themselves together to triumph over Ultron and save the planet from imminent catastrophe, as opposed to seeing "Mom and Dad" break up in CW, you know?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"