After Iron Man, what's the best MCU solo origin movie?

I think I mentioned a while ago in another thread how I watched both of those movies back to back in anticipation for Civil War, and they both play off each other very well.

I think I mentioned a while ago in another thread how I watched both of those movies back to back in anticipation for Civil War, and they both play off each other very well.

That's actually really good idea, will do that before CW comes out myself.

Don't think you'll be disappointed. It was very interesting to see the similarities and contrasts between the circumstances that turned Tony Stark into Iron Man and Steve Rogers into Captain America.

Don't think you'll be disappointed. It was very interesting to see the similarities and contrasts between the circumstances that turned Tony Stark into Iron Man and Steve Rogers into Captain America.

Good stuff, will probably watch all of the MCU movies before CW anyway.

I did the majority of them before AoU, this time around I'm condensing it a bit. I've done First Avenger, Iron Man, Avengers, and Iron Man 3 so far, just Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron to go. I did watch Ant-Man last week too because I just bought it. Who knows though, plenty of time until May to squeeze in a few more. Probably the Raimi Spider-Man films.

I think it's spot on. First Avenger, as far as a representation of the golden age and base elements of the character, that movie hasn't been beaten. Also has the highest stakes of the three during their respective climaxes, though I am a little fuzzy on the details of Thor's at the moment.

There are similarities between Ant-Man and Iron Man but not enough to call them the same movie, part of it is due to the world Marvel has created on screen, not a bad thing.

I'm not even completely sure where this comparison is coming from. Yeah, okay, both involve a smart guy in a superpowers suit (although while Iron Man really plays up the smart guy element Ant-Man focuses more on Lang's "good guyness" and his skills as a cat burglar while relying on Pym's genius for the tech aspects) but otherwise most the similarities are the general sort of likenesses you would expect from two hero's journeys/origin stories. Maybe it's just that Stark and Pym can serve rather interchangeable roles especially on a team and that is what people are picking up on? Or am I missing something? It has been a while since I've watched the first Iron Man but I don't feel like I've forgotten any major plot points/themes/characterizations and while I've only seen Ant-Man twice, one of those viewings was pretty recently.

Honestly, even though I haven't read too much about the direction they're taking it in as far as how deep they're going into his background, I suspect that as far as character and themes go Dr. Strange will resemble Iron Man's story far more than the superficial share tech aspects of Ant-Man did.

I mean, I think Strange and Stark have always been characters that draw comparisons, and not simply because they 're literally drawn to look very similar. I suspect that part of downplaying Lang's intelligence - other than the fact that his own movie had that role already played by Pym - is to help create seperate spaces for each particular character. Since Strange's power alone promises he will have already carved out a unique place in this universe it may be they're less concerned about him sharing character space with Stark, though in all likelihood they'll still make an effort to make sure the two of them don't cross too much. But in the end while I'm sure they'll avoid making it Tony Stark But With Magic, I think these two will share quite a bit more than Stark and Lang.

Good post... I think the comparison is a superficial one, coming mostly from the suit wearing villain. People love to take things at face value, but Cross isn't Stane, and Stark isn't Lang, or Pym.

I'm not even completely sure where this comparison is coming from. Yeah, okay, both involve a smart guy in a superpowers suit (although while Iron Man really plays up the smart guy element Ant-Man focuses more on Lang's "good guyness" and his skills as a cat burglar while relying on Pym's genius for the tech aspects) but otherwise most the similarities are the general sort of likenesses you would expect from two hero's journeys/origin stories. Maybe it's just that Stark and Pym can serve rather interchangeable roles especially on a team and that is what people are picking up on? Or am I missing something? It has been a while since I've watched the first Iron Man but I don't feel like I've forgotten any major plot points/themes/characterizations and while I've only seen Ant-Man twice, one of those viewings was pretty recently.

Honestly, even though I haven't read too much about the direction they're taking it in as far as how deep they're going into his background, I suspect that as far as character and themes go Dr. Strange will resemble Iron Man's story far more than the superficial share tech aspects of Ant-Man did.

I mean, I think Strange and Stark have always been characters that draw comparisons, and not simply because they 're literally drawn to look very similar. I suspect that part of downplaying Lang's intelligence - other than the fact that his own movie had that role already played by Pym - is to help create seperate spaces for each particular character. Since Strange's power alone promises he will have already carved out a unique place in this universe it may be they're less concerned about him sharing character space with Stark, though in all likelihood they'll still make an effort to make sure the two of them don't cross too much. But in the end while I'm sure they'll avoid making it Tony Stark But With Magic, I think these two will share quite a bit more than Stark and Lang.

Have to agree, I think it's a silly comparison and wouldn't have even noticed the similarities until people on here mentioned them. At the same time there are plenty of differences between the 2 so I don't get the comparison at all.

They all share the same formula. Iron man 1 and Thor 1 and Captain American 1 are all the same but incredible hulk and Ant man are the better origin movies.

I thought the main, unfortunate similarity was that Cross was pretty much just a less-intimidating Stane, though flipped to have Cross be the surrogate son instead of the surrogate father.

otherwise, there was plenty to differentiate Scott's story from Tony's

Nearly every superhero origin film shares the same formula.

They all share the same formula. Iron man 1 and Thor 1 and Captain American 1 are all the same but incredible hulk and Ant man are the better origin movies.

I thought the main, unfortunate similarity was that Cross was pretty much just a less-intimidating Stane, though flipped to have Cross be the surrogate son instead of the surrogate father.

otherwise, there was plenty to differentiate Scott's story from Tony's

See, I don't even think that point of comparison is all too strong. There are definitely parallels but the actors gave each enough personality that I feel it's pretty easy to drawn distinctions between the two. Stane, for one, felt less like a father-figure and more as though he was acting up his role as a comrade-in-arms-race where as I'm under the impression that prior to his recent attempts of playing nice Cross's relationship with Pym was openly hostile. Stane wanted Tony out of the way because he feels he's earned Stark Inc. So in some ways it really isn't that personal for Stane, he's a victim of avarice more than anything. His goal is simply to get Tony out of his way and out of his company. On the other hand, Cross already HAS the company. He has already gotten Pym out of the way and all but made him irrelevant within the walls of PymTech. His sole reason for getting Pym back there is to rub it in the old man's face. It is nothing but personal.

To my mind there are only so many structures and story forms for a two hour movie to take, limited further by them falling under the blockbuster label. What really makes a movie for me is how they utilize characterization, theme, tone, dialogue, relationships, conflict, etc. Sure, Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, and Thor Odinnson all go on basic hero's journeys but just on personalities alone I don't think you can claim they are really the same. To do so you'd have to break them down to such basic storytelling elements that you lose any trace of their stories.

Now you pick just two of those films to compare and I think you have a stronger argument, but to say all three are the same movie is pretty reductive. It's like people who claim Quicksilver is basically a "worse" Flash. Well, yeah, so long as your sole judging criteria is speedometer and you ignore all the characterization and history that has gone into building both, not to mention the vastly different roles each plays in their stories. Maybe it's just me who starts to get annoyed when people focus obsessively on one minor attribute of a character while seemingly ignoring the depth of other features that combine to make them truly interesting.

(Also, while you're right about The Incredible Hulk following a modified origin story formula especially compared to the others I just think that's proof having a good writer work within a cliche plot is far preferable to the other way around. Has anyone sat there and just listened to the dialogue? Do yourself a favor - don't. Me proving my point is not worth the suffering of innocents.)

Captain America the First Avenger, I even think it's better than Iron Man. I'd probably have Ant Man on par with Iron Man. But all in the list are good.

I'd rank them

1) Captain America:The First Avenger
2) Iron Man / Ant Man
3) The Incredible Hulk (really underrated film IMO, very reminiscent of the TV show)
4) Thor

TIH anyday! I don't get the hate for that film, it had a likable cast and a decent story. The CGI was wonky but.. Ehh I can over look the Hulk looking like the zombies from I am Legend at times.

I enjoyed Thor more than Iron Man personally.

1.Thor
2.Iron Man
3.Ant Man
4.Captain America The First Avenger
5.The Incredible Hulk

All enjoyable films

I enjoyed Thor more than Iron Man personally.

1.Thor
2.Iron Man
3.Ant Man
4.Captain America The First Avenger
5.The Incredible Hulk

All enjoyable films

That's pretty much my ranking as well. Thor is the most enjoyable solo origin movie for me, though objectively IM is probably the better movie.

Mjölnir;32562773 said:
I really like all of them but my favorite is Thor. Hemsworth and Hiddleston made Thor and Loki the best hero-villain pairing in the superhero movie world for me (together with Xavier and Magneto), Odin banishing Thor is one of my favorite scenes in the MCU, and I think the movie balances well between epic and small for the story it tells.

I loved Thor. It's my favorite one after IM. Although, Anthony Hopkins and Tom Hiddleston stole the show with that one scene where Loki finds out about his origins. That was some Shakespearean level acting right there.

I loved Thor. It's my favorite one after IM. Although, Anthony Hopkins and Tom Hiddleston stole the show with that one scene where Loki finds out about his origins. That was some Shakespearean level acting right there.

It is awesome. The emotional stakes is what made Thor more enjoyable for me. I agree about Hopkins and Hiddlestone, but I also thiought Hemsworth was awesome as well.

I honestly can't decide on which solo origin movie I like the second best. All I know is that The First Avenger is my #1 and TIH is my least favorite but still good.
Ant Man, Thor, and Iron Man are all on the same level for me. It's hard for me to decide which one I like best because they have such different flavors.

That's pretty much my ranking as well. Thor is the most enjoyable solo origin movie for me, though objectively IM is probably the better movie.

I feel the same way.

Iron Man probably wowed me more at first. But I've had my fill of RDJ's Stark over the years, whereas Thor, with that main musical theme, is infinitely rewatchable for me, even if the movie is a little underwhelming in the middle (that mud wrestling fight just might be the lamest scene in the MCU...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"