After Iron Man, what's the best MCU solo origin movie?

AVEITWITHJAMON

Badass Cloud
Reaction score
IM is still considered one of the best marvel movies and is definitely consider the best solo origin movie they have done. But I am just wondering, what do people think is the 2nd best solo origin? I am not including GOTG in this as that's the origin of a team rather rather than a single hero. However I am including TIH as it shows elements of the origin and was the introduction for the character in the MCU.

Personally, I love Thor and Ant Man, and Cap 1 has grown in me hugely over the years, so I am not sure what I would vote for just now, but I am curious to see what others think. So vote and discuss away people.

I liked The Incredible Hulk personally. Had a unique feel to it.

As much as I love Ant-man, I've got to give it to CA:TFA. Underrated movie IMO.

Captain America: The First Avenger. I love the period piece/1940's throwback nature of it (with some cool sci-fi stuff thrown in). I really like the aesthetics (some dodgy CGI at times aside). I love that it's basically "Indiana Jones with superheroes." The cast is all good, there's just a lot to like.

It's not perfect to be sure (but then again none of these films are), but it's my 2nd favorite.

I consider IM1 to be the best superhero movie ever made, not just the best origin movie(though it's that as well by definition). After that though I gotta go with CA:TFA. I love that movie and still consider it in the top 10 superhero movies ever made. Just love how it's an retro old school adventure movie in the guise of a WWII film. Ant-Man would be next on the list, then Thor. TIH ain't an origin movie at all, but if it was it'd be right after Thor. Hulk's actual origin movie(which ain't MCU thank goodness) I reckon to be the worst superhero movie ever made.

My overall ranking would probably be:

1. IM.
2. Captain America: TFA.
3. Thor.
4. Ant Man.
5. TIH (although I like that movie more than most it would seem).

I wouldn't say any of the movies in the poll are bad, or anywhere close to that, they are all really enjoyable for me. I never used to like Cap 1 until Avengers came out and then Cap 1 just started clicking with me. TIH has also grown on me over the years.

Thor and Ant Man I loved as soon as I saw them though, so that's why I am having trouble picking between them at the moment.

Close call between Ant-Man and Captain America, though Thor was very well done especially for the time it came out, even before First Avenger. Ant-Man just did a great job crafting a unique film for the origin story chapter for it's character, though all 3 were in a relatively tough spot to introduce all three of these Avengers to the wider audience.

Incredible Hulk is not an origin movie, don't think it should be include even considering the rationalization for it. We learn about Bruce but it is not the same journey the character would have had if it was an origin film, as in TIH he is trying to cure himself after living with his condition for some time.

I think my vote would go for Captain America, as he has existed in the Marvel mythos for longer than the other two, and finally received a movie of quality after the lacking representations from decades ago. A character with a history dating back nearly as far as Superman and Batman finally being done right, who in turn serves as the moral compass for his whole extended franchise executed well is, for me, as big a success for Marvel as the first Iron Man.

The First Avenger and Iron Man viewed back to back also is a very interesting pair of films, looking ahead to Civil War.

Ant-Man and Thor both had great origin films. But I've got to give it to Cap. That movie had such a huge amount of heart, and it is a great origin story.

After thinking on it, I had to give it to Thor, it had a much better villain and had a bigger impact on the MCU. And it was one of those nice surprise movies where I ended up loving it much more than I thought.

It just beats out Ant Man which I also love but Yellowjacket doesn't compare to Loki, I also preferred Jane to Hope, though I loved both in their first movies.

I didn't like how Hope was USED more so than not liking her (although they could have given a different personality than "generic tough Marvel female"). That, combined with Yellowjacket being such an underwhelming villain (and wasting Corey Stoll in the process) are really the two things that keep Ant Man from taking the #1 spot for me.

I didn't like how Hope was USED more so than not liking her (although they could have given a different personality than "generic tough Marvel female"). That, combined with Yellowjacket being such an underwhelming villain (and wasting Corey Stoll in the process) are really the two things that keep Ant Man from taking the #1 spot for me.

Well yeah, you put it better than me. But that's why I chose Thor over Ant Man. It's very close between the 2, but Thor just edges it for me. Glad Reed is coming back for AM 2 though.

I really like all of them but my favorite is Thor. Hemsworth and Hiddleston made Thor and Loki the best hero-villain pairing in the superhero movie world for me (together with Xavier and Magneto), Odin banishing Thor is one of my favorite scenes in the MCU, and I think the movie balances well between epic and small for the story it tells.

Hulk's actual origin movie(which ain't MCU thank goodness) I reckon to be the worst superhero movie ever made.
wait, wait. in a world were Elektra, TASM franchise, Catwoman, F4nt4stic Four, Man of Steel an XO:Wolverine exist, how is Ang Lee's Hulk worse than them?

wait, wait. in a world were Elektra, TASM franchise, Catwoman, F4nt4stic Four, Man of Steel an XO:Wolverine exist, how is Ang Lee's Hulk worse than them?

I'd agree with everyone but the first TASM. I think it's on a significantly higher level than these movies. There's many I'd place down there before that, like Batman and Robin, the other FF movies, etc.

To ME it is because I don't give a fig about any of those other characters. Hulk is my all time #1 favorite character and not only did they f*** up a movie about him, the f***ed up the FIRST movie about him, thus giving a crappy first impression to an entire generation of moviegoers. And on top of that they feebly attempted to adapt parts of the best run on the character(Peter David's) and ended up tainting that so that every subsequent Hulk movie or appearance seems to want to distance itself from that and THAT is a true shame as that stuff was brilliant in the comics.

Last edited:
IM is still considered one of the best marvel movies
Are you sure?this says the opposite.
What do you think of these ratings?

Iron Man (2008) - Rotten Tomatoes
TOMATOMETER 94%
Average Rating: 7.7/10
AUDIENCE SCORE
91%
liked it
Average Rating: 4.2/5

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - Rotten Tomatoes
TOMATOMETER 91%
Average Rating: 7.8/10
AUDIENCE SCORE
92%
liked it
Average Rating: 4.4/5

It looks like guardians of galaxy is considered the best mcu solo movie overall on average.

Note- the average rating is the real critic score and real AUDIENCE score.The TOMATOMETER and AUDIENCE SCORE is the score for how many who liked it or gave the movie a postive review.

Last edited:
The First Avenger. Of all the MCU, this is the film that has gone up in my view the most over time. I love the setting, Chris Evans was a great leading man, and they absolutely nailed the first half of the film, including the actual origin. It had a rushed second half, so it isn't without its flaws, but it did what it needed to do and I still have a lot of fun watching it.

Are you sure?this says the opposite.
What do you think of ratings?
Iron Man (2008) - Rotten Tomatoes
TOMATOMETER
Average Rating: 7.7/10
AUDIENCE SCORE
91%
Average Rating: 4.2/5

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - Rotten Tomatoes
TOMATOMETER
Average Rating: 7.8/10
91%
AUDIENCE SCORE
91%
liked it
Average Rating: 4.4/5

It looks like guardians of galaxy is considered the best mcu solo movie overall on average.

Note- the average rating is the real score

Well the opposite would be the worst.

But Iron Man is a few years old. I am curious to see how Guardians will be reviewed as the years go by.

Probably what usually happens with these films. People will still enjoy it, but they'll be more willing to acknowledge it's flaws/point them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"