Best Sci-fi movie of the 21st century (so far)

I must be one of the few who finds COM very over-rated, its a good movie, but in my eyes certainly not a great one, let alone the best sci-fi movie of the 21st century.

Also, to answer a question, The Book Of Eli and The Road are both set in futuristic post apocalyptic worlds, thats why I considered them Sci-fi. They also explore themes of humanity, like most sci-fi movies.

I voted for Moon, which looked to me as true Sci Fi movie not a action adventure movie like JJ Abram's Star Trek or James Cameron's Avatar pretending to be a Sci Fi movie.

Or Nolan's Inception which was more of a psychological thriller with some Sci Fi elements.

District 9 is a good Sci Fi movie but it focuses on sociology aspects of the story rather than Sci Fi ones.

Source Code is just cheap attempt to be a SciFi movie.

Serenity is just an action movie with SciFi elements, though I would rate it above movies like Book Of Eli, I am Legend and I Robot which are just commercialized Sci Fi movies.

Minority Report and Pitch Black were really entertaining SciFi movies but it is certainly not the best ones out there.

I haven't seen others listed.

1. Moon
2. District 9
3. Inception.
4. Minority Report.
5. Avatar.
6. Serenity
7. Pitch Black.
8. Star Trek.
9. Source Code.
10. I, Robot.

Last edited:
Easily District 9. Its truly a cinematic masterpiece imo

I must be one of the few who finds COM very over-rated, its a good movie, but in my eyes certainly not a great one, let alone the best sci-fi movie of the 21st century.
I also think its overrated. Its a good movie but I didn't think it was great (which seems to be the overall consensus). Although, I've only seen it once...maybe I need to check it out again. I've fallen in love with a lot of films on the second viewing

Children of Men got my vote, but here's my top 5:

Children of Men
Minority Report
District 9
Moon
Sunshine

Sunshine
Moon
Children of Men
Inception
District 9
Dredd 3D. :-)woot:)

I forgot Oshii's Innocence. Yeah, so that and WALL*E. Solid State Society is a close third for me.

Last edited:
I voted for "Other", as I didn't see any movies listed that I'd call the "Best Of The 21st Century".

My personal vote? Serenity, with Star Trek being a close second.

Of course, if Sword & Sorcery films are considered "Sci-Fi" then Lord Of The Rings puts them all to shame.

Tie between Moon and Inception. Went with Moon though because I suspect it wont get nearly as much love in this poll as Inception.

I voted for "Other", as I didn't see any movies listed that I'd call the "Best Of The 21st Century".

Of course, if Sword & Sorcery films are considered "Sci-Fi" then Lord Of The Rings puts them all to shame.
why would sword & sorcery ever be considered sci fi?

between star trek an serenity for me . This is until Joss demands some one pay for serenity 2 and cause of his Avengers success it is granted. ohhhh i can dream.

Star Trek (Yes, it's not hard sci-fi but it still is sci-fi. ) and Inception are my favorites, but Children of Men is the best for me.

Last edited:
Sine Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind isn't in the poll, I'll vote for Children of Men. I'm in love with its concept, action scenes (mind-blowing) and acting performances.

By the way Avengers is sci-fi, right?

Technically most superhero movies are sci-fi, but for arguments purposes personally I'd rather keep them under Superhero movie and not clutter up the list since Sci-fi technically is an incredibly broad genre.

Easily District 9. Its truly a cinematic masterpiece imo

I also think its overrated. Its a good movie but I didn't think it was great (which seems to be the overall consensus). Although, I've only seen it once...maybe I need to check it out again. I've fallen in love with a lot of films on the second viewing

Same here, there are many movies I have disliked on first viewing and grown to love over repeated ones, but COM just isnt one of them, in fact the more I watched it the more I find out over-rated.

Technically most superhero movies are sci-fi, but for arguments purposes personally I'd rather keep them under Superhero movie and not clutter up the list since Sci-fi technically is an incredibly broad genre.

Yeah, I would say Superhero movie is its own genre now there are so many, so I didnt included any of them.

Should 'Southland Tales' have been put on the list? It may be satirical but it is still sci-fi and a bit of an odd one at that.

There's also 'The Matrix' movies.

I like quite a few of these films, but I'll take District 9. Children of Men and Inception are very close aswell.

In a sci-fi tune... imagine how many sci-fi movies there will be by the end of the 21st Century if the pace continues.

I voted for Moon, which looked to me as true Sci Fi movie not a action adventure movie like JJ Abram's Star Trek or James Cameron's Avatar pretending to be a Sci Fi movie.

Or Nolan's Inception which was more of a psychological thriller with some Sci Fi elements.

District 9 is a good Sci Fi movie but it focuses on sociology aspects of the story rather than Sci Fi ones.

Source Code is just cheap attempt to be a SciFi movie.

Serenity is just an action movie with SciFi elements, though I would rate it above movies like Book Of Eli, I am Legend and I Robot which are just commercialized Sci Fi movies.

Minority Report and Pitch Black were really entertaining SciFi movies but it is certainly not the best ones out there.

I haven't seen others listed.

1. Moon
2. District 9
3. Inception.
4. Minority Report.
5. Avatar.
6. Serenity
7. Pitch Black.
8. Star Trek.
9. Source Code.
10. I,Robot.

Is this post meant to be ironic? Because if it isn't I'm sorry that I was enjoying this irony.

LOTR is more Fantasy/Fairytale but if they were fighting with :jedi then we could call it Sci-Fi.:cwink:

Would love to see a LOTR remake with Star Wars characters, creatures & weapons, now that would be epic. Just imagine Yoda as Gollum.:hehe::woot:

All Planets of the Apes movies are sci-fi.
Rise was set in the present day but the science in it was pure fiction.

why would sword & sorcery ever be considered sci fi?

As someone else here mentions, "Science Fiction" covers a very broad spectrum, not just movies set in outer space with laser guns and alien invaders. Before Netflix forced them out of business, video stores used to group Sword & Sorcery and Comic Book movies under "Science Fiction". Thus it's a reasonable question as to what constitutes "Science Fiction"? Is it just "aliens and robots"? Or is any movie featuring non-humans and people with superhuman abilities considered "Sci-Fi"? Because if it's the latter, then Sword & Sorcery films are in fact Science Fiction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"