Best Super-Hero vs Super-Villain fight of 2013?

AVEITWITHJAMON

Badass Cloud
Reaction score
Superman vs Zod won this in Total Film magazine, but that through all movies in 2013, I was curious to know what the SHH'ers thought of the fights in the super hero movies we got this year and which one they thought was the best. The fights are focused on actual heroes vs super villains and their main henchmen rather than just fighting random guys like gang member, the yakuza, etc, etc.

For me, I currently cant decide, I have liked all of them to a degree, all of them have been different and in some ways very impressive and in others a bit disappointing. Its between Superman vs Zod, Superman vs Faora and Zamek, Wolverine vs Shingen and Hit Girl vs Mother Russia, the latter two I would have a very hard time voting against but both were over a little too quickly, but for the rest of you, please vote away.

The one thing Man of Steel did well was showcase Superman's abilities and both major fights in the film were at the top of the list for me.

Easily the Superman Smallville fight with Faroa for me.

1 Wolverine vs Shingen

2. Superman vs Zod
3. Yukio vs Shingen
4. Superman vs Faora
5. Tony Stark (leaping between armours because the director refused to let him be in one for any length of time) vs Molten Man.

The one thing Man of Steel did well was showcase Superman's abilities and both major fights in the film were at the top of the list for me.

It was amazing to see Superman finally do things on the big screen we know he is capable of, and the fights were amazing to see, especially seeing him going up against people who could match him.

But I loved the grittiness of some of the other fights as well like Wolverine vs Shingen and Hit Girl vs Mother Russia, they both just needed to be a little bit longer I think. Although at the same time Superman vs Zod was probably a little too long.

Hit Girl vs Mother Russia, it was brutal and I honestly didnt know how Hit Girl was going to get out of that fight alive, great little surprised involved in that regard.

IMO nothing beats Superman vs Faora and Nam Ek

That fight was fast and vicious, and showcased the Kryptonians' powers, and
of course featured Faora wiping out heaps of soldiers as a light intermission. OUch.

It was brutal, much more brutal than Hulk vs Thor. You really feel like they push
Supes hard, he has to really fight hard to hold his own. In fact, nothing Hulk, Thor
or any of the Marvel characters have done has come close in terms of brutality.

tumblr_mpdfcqtUJw1s3s22so1_400.gif

Watch this clip, at 1:34, it's right, left, right left, double punch flying ram, and then up in the air and POW ! A mighty left sends Nam Ek into the train yard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlJYN5BOamc

In this scene, the giant slams Supes into the ground and then boots him in the head.
Superman takes a pounding, and then gives it right back.

And Faora, she's more badass than Wolverine in this movie. Sorry folks, IMO, nothing in any Superhero film comes even close. (I mean, Mandarin/Killian was wiped out by Iron Man's secretary, for ****'s sake). Thor v Iron Man was entertaining, but it feels like a friendly contest, whereas this scene is a full on war, with nothing held back.

Supes vs Zod has even more property damage, but doesn't feel as vicious, or desperate.

So this one gets my vote for sure.

Last edited:
Best superhero fight of 2013:

The Man Of Steel battles.

I finally voted, and I had to go for Wolverine vs Shingen, I the EE adds little bits to it that just make it even better than it was in the TC.

Batmannerism makes some very good points about the Smallville fight, it was superb, and seeing Superman have to fight harder and harder to overcome and then be accepted by humans at the end was great. But there was a little too much CGI for me.

Thats what I love about the Wolverine vs Shingen, its two great actors really going at it with no CGI involved, and there is so much rawness and emotion to the fight, add in the great music and its overall the best fight scene for me.

Agree with Symbiote about HG vs MR, that was a great, and I honestly didnt know if Mindy was going to come out of it alive, the last resort was great, and HG's closing line was superb.

As much as I loved the battles from Man of Steel, every action scene in my opinion is sheer perfection in my eyes, I gotta say that the fight between Shingen and Wolverine was definitely the best. I agree with AVEITWITHJAMON, the extended edition adds much more to this film to bring you to the edge of your seat. This is the moment where Logan basically becomes invincible, Shingen knows this and knowingly goes in to battle, willing to risk his own life, just to honour his role as a warrior. It was a brilliant scene that easily defines the whole movie.

MoS easily. I need to rewatch the Wolverine because I don't remember being in awe of any of the action in it the first time; but yeah I'd say MoS without a doubt had the best looking action pieces of any film this year.

Wolverine vs. Shingen. Best 1 on 1 fight in quite a while.

As much as I loved the battles from Man of Steel, every action scene in my opinion is sheer perfection in my eyes, I gotta say that the fight between Shingen and Wolverine was definitely the best. I agree with AVEITWITHJAMON, the extended edition adds much more to this film to bring you to the edge of your seat. This is the moment where Logan basically becomes invincible, Shingen knows this and knowingly goes in to battle, willing to risk his own life, just to honour his role as a warrior. It was a brilliant scene that easily defines the whole movie.

:up:, I loved how raw it was and how little CGI was involved, plus it showed how scary it can be when Wolverine is coming at you non-stop, which in turn showed how badass Shingen was by not backing down.

Its just an awesome fight scene were everything clicks, my only complaint is I would have liked it to go on a bit longer.

:up:, I loved how raw it was and how little CGI was involved, plus it showed how scary it can be when Wolverine is coming at you non-stop, which in turn showed how badass Shingen was by not backing down.

Its just an awesome fight scene were everything clicks, my only complaint is I would have liked it to go on a bit longer.

Me too. I liked the Yukio/Shingen fight before it too, that chick's got some incredible moves (on the commentary, the director points out a cool sword flip/catch that she does during the fight that I didn't even notice the first time I watched because it's so quick and awesome). I hope that a future Wolverine film will give us more scenes such as this, in fact, I'd say that the success of this film, both in theatres and with it's Unrated release, should make the studio comfortable with releasing an R-rated film for the fans. The film was basically R-rated in the first place and, with the recent big time success of a ton of recent R-rated movies, Fox should have no issue with giving their most popular character the green-light for a much-deserved, straight-up R-rated adaptation.

Here are some examples of some of the most recent, high-grossing R-rated movies: The Conjuring (over $310,000,000 worldwide), The Hangover Part III (over $350,000,000 worldwide), Ted (just about $550,000,000 worldwide), Django Unchained (over $425,000,000 worldwide, earning more so worldwide than True Grit did with a PG-13 rating in 2010) and We're the Millers (with almost $270,000,000 worldwide).

These numbers show it all. Since Mangold has experience with westerns, and he even admits he made The Wolverine have a western-type feel (similar to The Outlaw Josey Wales), I'd say go ahead with an Old Man Logan film which has a western-feel thanks to the wasteland environments. Work out a deal with Marvel to get the rights for some of the characters, such as Hawkeye and The Hulk, and they'll have a hit on their hands in no time. Of course, some of the violence would need to be cut down. But there's always room for an extended cut. :cwink:

A tie between Wolverine vs Shingen and Yukio vs Shingen. Not as flashy as fights in the others but I love it when superhero films have fights with very little CGI.

^Its only fights from the comic book movies, I loved PR but it wasnt a comic book movie with super heroes in.

Me too. I liked the Yukio/Shingen fight before it too, that chick's got some incredible moves (on the commentary, the director points out a cool sword flip/catch that she does during the fight that I didn't even notice the first time I watched because it's so quick and awesome). I hope that a future Wolverine film will give us more scenes such as this, in fact, I'd say that the success of this film, both in theatres and with it's Unrated release, should make the studio comfortable with releasing an R-rated film for the fans. The film was basically R-rated in the first place and, with the recent big time success of a ton of recent R-rated movies, Fox should have no issue with giving their most popular character the green-light for a much-deserved, straight-up R-rated adaptation.

Here are some examples of some of the most recent, high-grossing R-rated movies: The Conjuring (over $310,000,000 worldwide), The Hangover Part III (over $350,000,000 worldwide), Ted (just about $550,000,000 worldwide), Django Unchained (over $425,000,000 worldwide, earning more so worldwide than True Grit did with a PG-13 rating in 2010) and We're the Millers (with almost $270,000,000 worldwide).

These numbers show it all. Since Mangold has experience with westerns, and he even admits he made The Wolverine have a western-type feel (similar to The Outlaw Josey Wales), I'd say go ahead with an Old Man Logan film which has a western-feel thanks to the wasteland environments. Work out a deal with Marvel to get the rights for some of the characters, such as Hawkeye and The Hulk, and they'll have a hit on their hands in no time. Of course, some of the violence would need to be cut down. But there's always room for an extended cut. :cwink:

Yukio was awesome, but her fight with Shingen wasnt shot as well as the following fight IMO as it kept cutting to Logan, but he is the title character I guess so thats a given, I would have liked Yukio's fight with Viper to go on a bit longer as well.

As for the rest, no way Marvel will loan Fox Hawkeye and Hulk or any other character, and I have come to accept there wont be an r-rated Wolverine movie for a very long time as well.

Yukio was awesome, but her fight with Shingen wasnt shot as well as the following fight IMO as it kept cutting to Logan, but he is the title character I guess so thats a given, I would have liked Yukio's fight with Viper to go on a bit longer as well.

As for the rest, no way Marvel will loan Fox Hawkeye and Hulk or any other character, and I have come to accept there wont be an r-rated Wolverine movie for a very long time as well.

Oh, I know. That's just wishful thinking on my part, with proof that R-rated films can earn their money back just as well as a PG-13 film can. I just wish that Marvel and DC would branch out more. Create more movies for less money because comic-books appeal to two different crowds: kids and adults. I got sick of the Marvel Studios "formula" fast when it came to Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World becoming the slapstick little kiddie shows that they are. I much prefer DC's formula now, especially with Man of Steel, where there isn't much time for comedy because the danger's amplified. I was on the edge of my seat for the entire last half of Man of Steel because the villains were actually evil (not like they play Loki where he's played like he's kinda sorta not a villain, which makes his master plans of villainy seem weak and unmotivated) and they don't cut to comedy scenes every 2-3 minutes.

If 300 could make over $450,000,000 worldwide, imagine what Wolverine could make. The Wolverine made just about $415,000,000 and, while those are great numbers, imagine if fans heard that Wolverine was gonna start slicing and dicing people's heads and limbs off in 300-style fashion? People would go nuts, they'd see it in a heartbeat and I wouldn't be surprised if parents take their kids to see it as a family film. That sounds funny, but comics are exaggerated and I think that kids and parents can understand that at this point in time. With all of the variety in the comic-book genre, why not try making more R-rated films before the PG-13 ones start getting tired. It's nice having diversity and, if any studio's capable of that kind of commitment, it's either going to be WB or Fox who puts this plan into motion first.

No X-Men film has made over $500,000,000 worldwide. Of the 100 highest grossing movies worldwide, there are only 4 films that have R-ratings: Ted, The Hangover Part II, The Passion of the Christ and The Matrix: Reloaded (which is the highest grossing R-rated movie of all-time). Imagine if the sequel to Reloaded turned out to be great instead of meh. Would it have made as much as Reloaded, if not more? Yes, absolutely. Word of mouth spread fast that the film wasn't good and, due to that, it flopped at the box-office. I think that ever since that, studios have held back releasing R-rated films. Yet, somehow they forget that Reloaded is one of the highest grossing films ever.

Of the four films I mentioned, only one is an action movie. Yet how many PG-13 action movies do we get that teeter against the R-rating? Too many. We need more R-rated action movies because they allow audiences a break from all the mind-numbing, censored action they're used to getting from the overload of comic-book films and Bourne rip-offs. If Fox takes the chance with an R-rated X-Men or Wolverine film, I expect that the effort will pay off for them big time (I can just imagine the overwhelming response if they release a red-band trailer for a new Wolverine film where it's just as gory as a slasher film, people will lose their bloody minds and start lining up around the block to see an R-rated Wolverine that is a straight-up action film, reminiscent of 300 and The Matrix: Reloaded, because it's been a long time since we've seen a great R-rated action film in theatres).

If this upcoming X-Men film does not hit over $600,000,000 worldwide, I'd say it's about time that Fox tried their hand at an R-rated adaptation. An R-rating gives the studio more chances to raise the stakes within the stories they tell because people know by now that Wolverine can't die, so why not have him go unchained for a round to see if it works? If it does, an X-Men film with an R-rating will surely dominate the charts. I think R-ratings are exactly what superhero films these days need to prove to audiences (and studios) once and for all that R-rated films can earn just as much as the average PG-13 film (if not more).

Early word of mouth for Reloaded was actually very good, it was only after a while and the 3rd one was released that people started to complain about that film

Early word of mouth for Reloaded was actually very good, it was only after a while and the 3rd one was released that people started to complain about that film

I loved Reloaded, I thought it was better than the original. Though it ends on a cliffhanger, that leads into a disappointing final chapter, the film is intense and unlike anything I've ever seen before. When Neo saves Trinity near the end, that was one of the most incredible action scenes I've ever seen. Add to that the amazing Neo vs. many Smiths fight sequence and you've got a film that takes full-advantage of the concept they set-up in the first film, that The Matrix is a computer world where anything is possible. The only scene that drags the film out a bit too long for me is that stupid Zion scene where they get all of those sweaty people dancing in slow-motion, that was awkward (despite all of the sexy shots of the many hot women with wet, see-through shirts, that was acceptable :cwink:).

I'm shocked and baffled that some people picked the Thor vs Kurse fight. After some fans who saw the movie early hyped that fight up I was incredibly disappointed with it. It was one of the weakest fights out of all the MCU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"