Best Super-Hero vs Super-Villain fight of 2013?

I'm shocked and baffled that some people picked the Thor vs Kurse fight. After some fans who saw the movie early hyped that fight up I was incredibly disappointed with it. It was one of the weakest fights out of all the MCU.

I agree, 100%. That whole movie had underwhelming, closely-shot (obviously meant to save money) fight scenes. While I enjoyed Thor: The Dark World a bit, I gotta admit, both Thor: The Dark World and Iron Man 3 were extremely middle-of-the-road efforts for Marvel Studios that did next to nothing in making you care more about the characters and the overall connecting "story". In fact, I'm getting kind of annoyed by all the characters at this point (especially with all of that forced comedy, especially in The Dark World with Kat Dennings' annoying-as-nails-on-a-chalkboard "character"/"comedy relief", which the film could have easily cut out to spend more time on Asgard or with that Kurse fight you mentioned). Somehow, Marvel Studios have turned these decent actors into cardboard cut-outs reciting some of the most banal lines of dialogue I've ever heard. They even make Anthony Hopkins seem like less of an actor than he once was because of all of the repetitive, uninteresting "conversations" he has with Thor which have no depth and no emotion.

And people complain about Man of Steel having no character development? What the hell does any MCU movie, besides Iron Man and The Avengers, do to make their characters interesting? Nothing. Oh, the actors look good and can read dialogue perfectly. Just brilliant. Man of Steel had more interesting things to do and say than the entire catalogue of MCU films released so far, even The Avengers and Iron Man.

While those films are indeed fun, they offer you no depth and nothing to root for because we already know the ending ahead of time (the hero wins, the villain fails)! In Man of Steel, that happens, but, it's much more involving because you understand Zod's motivations, he is not human, and he does the only thing he knows how to: fight for his people. That's was his birthright, it was in his genetic code, to keep fighting for his people, so, when he hears Clark finally say "Krypton had it's chance", that's when he realizes that there is no hope for Clark to join his cause (which he tried his best to inspire earlier in the film). This leads to their final fight which was absolutely incredible, one of the best action scenes I've seen in any movie period. To say that The Wolverine's fight scene was better just proves to me that comic-book films really are getting better and better, and that Fox and WB are on the right track with making stellar adaptations that have a lasting effect on people and improve with time (like a fine wine).

I agree, 100%. That whole movie had underwhelming, closely-shot (obviously meant to save money) fight scenes. While I enjoyed Thor: The Dark World a bit, I gotta admit, both Thor: The Dark World and Iron Man 3 were extremely middle-of-the-road efforts for Marvel Studios that did next to nothing in making you care more about the characters and the overall connecting "story". In fact, I'm getting kind of annoyed by all the characters at this point (especially with all of that forced comedy, especially in The Dark World with Kat Dennings' annoying-as-nails-on-a-chalkboard "character"/"comedy relief", which the film could have easily cut out to spend more time on Asgard or with that Kurse fight you mentioned). Somehow, Marvel Studios have turned these decent actors into cardboard cut-outs reciting some of the most banal lines of dialogue I've ever heard. They even make Anthony Hopkins seem like less of an actor than he once was because of all of the repetitive, uninteresting "conversations" he has with Thor which have no depth and no emotion.

And people complain about Man of Steel having no character development? What the hell does any MCU movie, besides Iron Man and The Avengers, do to make their characters interesting? Nothing. Oh, the actors look good and can read dialogue perfectly. Just brilliant. Man of Steel had more interesting things to do and say than the entire catalogue of MCU films released so far, even The Avengers and Iron Man.

While those films are indeed fun, they offer you no depth and nothing to root for because we already know the ending ahead of time (the hero wins, the villain fails)! In Man of Steel, that happens, but, it's much more involving because you understand Zod's motivations, he is not human, and he does the only thing he knows how to: fight for his people. That's was his birthright, it was in his genetic code, to keep fighting for his people, so, when he hears Clark finally say "Krypton had it's chance", that's when he realizes that there is no hope for Clark to join his cause (which he tried his best to inspire earlier in the film). This leads to their final fight which was absolutely incredible, one of the best action scenes I've seen in any movie period. To say that The Wolverine's fight scene was better just proves to me that comic-book films really are getting better and better, and that Fox and WB are on the right track with making stellar adaptations that have a lasting effect on people and improve with time (like a fine wine).

I totally agree with this and your last post regarding the MCU, I was on board up until The Avengers, loved that movie but found it doesnt get better on repeat viewings like many CBM's do.

Then Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World, both were so average and far too kiddy and comedic that its starting to turn me off the new movies coming out. When Guardians Of The Galaxy was announced it was my most anticipated comic book movie ever, despite X-Men being my favourite heroes, it was above DOFP because of how different I thought it would be. Now I know its just going to be standard MCU fare, like the last 2 movies have been, and they just arent ambitious enough and cater to kids too much, I am still looking forward to GOTG because I love the likes of Drax, RR, Gamora and Ronan, with a lot of Thanos thrown in as well. But I know I will be disappointed by some aspects as well. In fairness the comedy should be abundant in GOTG, but it needs serious moments also.

What DC and Fox are doing is much more my thing, movies made with adults in mind with much more maturity and higher stakes and seriousness. MOS and TW have both gotten better and better the more I have watched them, IM3 just got worse and worse and I can see the same with TDW happening. It just says something that i preferred the quiet and moody teaser for DOFP much more than the flashbang stuff of TWS trailer. The mood of these X-Men movies and DC movies is just so much better to me. The Spiderman movies are sort of in the middle.

As for the Kurse fight, I liked it because it was a change to see Thor totally overwhelmed by an opponent, and getting pounded while on the floor. But the fight was much too short and didnt have the same impact on 2nd viewing.

I think we were lucki this year. We had some great fights in our comic book movies, and some movies with a lot of heart. I really loved the wolverine, it's probably one of my favourite CBM. that said, Man Of steel has some of the most impressive and unique fight scenes, and no other comic book movie can compete with this one on that regard this year (imo of course).

People are only complaining about Kat Dennings character now? That's one of the things i hated in the first film, and in the 2nd one i found the humor to generally be more funny and tolerable, the final battle where Thor and Malekith were travelling through dimensions was expecially creative and entertaining.

As a whole i found Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 to be much better than Iron Man 2 or Thor, Captain America's second half was also incredibly underwhelming, and a real shame considering how good the first part was.

I wouldn't call The Man of Steel or The Wolverine more mature at all, more serious and violent? Yes, but that doesn't mean maturity at all.

Tony Stark vs Aldrich Killian climax battle
Followed by Superman vs the Zod Gang
Followed by Jor-El vs Zod

Didn't watch the rest of the superhero movies this year

Superman vs. Zod (Metropolis)
or
Superman vs. Faora and Nam-Ek vs. U.S. Army (Smallville)

What DC and Fox are doing is much more my thing, movies made with adults in mind with much more maturity and higher stakes and seriousness. MOS and TW have both gotten better and better the more I have watched them, IM3 just got worse and worse and I can see the same with TDW happening. It just says something that i preferred the quiet and moody teaser for DOFP much more than the flashbang stuff of TWS trailer. The mood of these X-Men movies and DC movies is just so much better to me. The Spiderman movies are sort of in the middle.

I'm with you.

I like a good mix of story, character development, emotional scenes or drama, action and a little humour thrown in.

It seems Fox and DC go for the more theme or character-driven movies. Marvel, since Avengers are now doing action comedies to amaze and entertain the kids and Sony is kindof 50/50.

People are only complaining about Kat Dennings character now? That's one of the things i hated in the first film, and in the 2nd one i found the humor to generally be more funny and tolerable.

I'm the reverse :funny:

In THOR i found her to be quirky and endearing, in THOR TDW she had worn out her welcome, it was same joke different day, lost it's appeal.

What annoys me about her character is that she doesn't serve any purpose in the story. She's a Science intern who comes off average and does no sciency stuff at all.

She exists just for comic relief, which is never a good basis for a character

Last edited:
Disney has a lot of good projects outside of Marvel. Frozen looks to be the odds on favorite to win the Oscar for Best Animated Feature, The Muppets sequel and Star Wars Episode 7 are highly anticipated projects with the latter probably surpassing the Avengers in global box office sales.

I am not a fan of people who say that they will boycott Disney because of the way the have treated the Marvel films and then go out and watch the next Star Wars movie, the next Muppets movie, any program on ABC or ESPN or the next Pixar film.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of people who say that they will boycott Disney because of the way the have treated the Marvel films and then go out and watch the next Star Wars movie, the next Muppets movie, any program on ABC or ESPN or the next Pixar film.

Who said that?

Oh.

I go one there for news, try my best to avoid the comments as they're always fulls of haters, but from some i've read they seem more pro-Disney than neg.

Last edited:
Oh.

I go one there for news, try my best to avoid the comments as they're always fulls of haters, but from some i've read they seem more pro-Disney than neg.

Nothing wrong with being Pro Disney. Pro Disney means that you are excited for Star Wars Episode 7 since Disney will now distribute any Star Wars related Film and TV projects from here on out (although Fox maintains the distribution of the previous six films).

I'm with you.

I like a good mix of story, character development, emotional scenes or drama, action and a little humour thrown in.

It seems Fox and DC go for the more theme or character-driven movies. Marvel, since Avengers are now doing action comedies to amaze and entertain the kids and Sony is kindof 50/50.

Yeah I much prefer the approach Fox and DC are taking, it just seems more adult, serious and mature to me and is much more my thing. I havent disliked any of the MCU films, but both ones this year, while again not bad, were disappointing me. DOFP, Apocalypse and BvS I am now looking forward too much more than the Marvel movies because of how they have gone.

Plus the level of character development in the Fox and DC films is great, not to mention they provide great action and SOME humour as well.

I'm the reverse :funny:

In THOR i found her to be quirky and endearing, in THOR TDW she had worn out her welcome, it was same joke different day, lost it's appeal.

What annoys me about her character is that she doesn't serve any purpose in the story. She's a Science intern who comes off average and does no sciency stuff at all.

She exists just for comic relief, which is never a good basis for a character

Yeah same here, I really liked her in Thor, and actually welcomed her inclusion in the sequel, but she was in it far too much and her jokes just shouldnt have been in the final battle as that made it feel very disjointed. Its crazy that she was in the movie for than Odin, Heimdall,Sif and The Warriors Three. They should dial her back for Thor 3 now.

Yeah i dcouldn't get into the final battle of Thor TDW, it kept being interrupted by the science squad, Darcy & her boytoy and Thor and Malekith did more falling than fighting.

Nothing wrong with being Pro Disney.

Of course. What i meant is from the majority of the comments there's universal support for their treatment of Marvel so i was surprised to hear there was such comments.

What article was it?

Last edited:
Yeah i dcouldn't get into the final battle of Thor TDW, it kept being interrupted by the science squad, Darcy & her boytoy and Thor and Malekith did more falling than fighting.

That was my problem with it, I just couldnt get into because it kept cutting away to stupid moments with Darcy and her intern and then stuff like Thor getting on a train.

Only people it should have been cutting away too was Selvig and Jane and the fight would have flowed much better and been a lot better as well.

:up:

Them and their sense of humor.

There's good stuff, but hey.. formula goes first.

^Thats my problem with Marvel at the moment, their stubborn adherence to this 'formula,' get the dramatic and important stuff right 1st then worry about jokes, it seems Marvel is doing the opposite of this at the moment and its turning people like me, who is a big Marvel fan, off.

I cant believe how few people have voted for the Hit Girl vs Mother Russia battle, I loved how brutal and tense it was and Hit Girl finally got an opponent I honestly didnt think she could beat.

Say what you want about the movie but the action and that scene in particular was awesome. And this is coming from a huge Superman fan BTW.

^I am surprised it doesnt more votes as well, there are fights that I thought were better this year but I really liked the things you mentioned about the fight, the brutality and the tension.

I couldnt see Hit Girl winning the fight without some major intervention by another character so the last resort thing actually being something that would help her win the fight in the end was a real 'hell yeah' moment.

That Hit Girl Mother Russia fight could have been cooler. Hit Girl never really topped the previous films action scenes. One of my few complaints with KA2.

That Faora fight just steals this poll for me. So friggen aweome.

the KA2 fights were fun. Ok, but nothing special. And that's coming from someone who really liked the movie. the fights got the job done, but they have nothing against the fights other CBM have.

That Hit Girl Mother Russia fight could have been cooler. Hit Girl never really topped the previous films action scenes. One of my few complaints with KA2.

That Faora fight just steals this poll for me. So friggen aweome.

I thought it was Hit Girls best fight yet, and the most challenging for her, loved the way it ended as well. Overall the action in KA1 was better, but the Mother Russia fight is HG's best one yet for me.

Léo Ho Tep;27556923 said:
the KA2 fights were fun. Ok, but nothing special. And that's coming from someone who really liked the movie. the fights got the job done, but they have nothing against the fights other CBM have.

I disagree, I thought the action in KA2 was really good and only Wolverine vs Shingen and the Smallville sequence top it for me. Cant believe Thor vs Kurse and IM vs TM both have more votes as I thought they quite underwhelming were as I was pleasantly surprised by the KA2 action.

Nothing compares to the Smallville fight.

Hell, nothing compares to the action in MOS, period. Easily the best action of any superhero film ever.

I do really appreciate the mostly practical effects driven action of The Wolverine though. Good stuff.

Thor 2 had the most disappointing action. It was formless, mindless movement with no style or energy.

The final battle was nothing but a bunch of establishing shots with Thor and The Doctor tumbling in the background.

Last edited:
I thought it was Hit Girls best fight yet, and the most challenging for her, loved the way it ended as well. Overall the action in KA1 was better, but the Mother Russia fight is HG's best one yet for me.

I didn't hate it but wasn't really impressed either. The Big Daddy save, drug dealer slaughter and Hitgirls raid at the end of KA1 was better executed imo. I expected them to top that in her last fight, so my expectations may have been to high there. Just didn't have the impact, violence or weight. Loved KA2 overall though. Really good flick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"