Birds of Prey film idea

NiallC

Civilian
Reaction score
So I’d love a Birds of Prey film that I think would help cement the DCEU as being better than what Marvel has currently produced. So far we have the Justice League, Suicide Squad and a Green Lantern Corps film and there are rumours of a Justice League Dark, Teen Titans and a Blue Beetle/Booster Gold film they definitely seem to be exploring the possibility of teams so I would love a Birds of Prey film that would be much more grounded than most team films are so instead of fighting god-like villains the villain would less powerful but just as threatening for the standard the team is at.

The film would help expand the DCEU a lot further by involving smaller, lesser known characters and would also help with bringing in some much needed diversity. DC have already been ahead of Marvel on that front by having a female led film and an African-American led film announced before Marvel did theirs. Also Marvel have struggled with female superheroes in general. At most in one film they will have three which will be in CA: CW and even then Sharon Carter isn’t really a hero. At most at this point they’ve had two and that was in Age of Ultron. Suicide Squad has already beaten that by having Katana, Harley Quinn and Enchantress all in one film.

I will be writing this into an almost essay like thing so please forgive me for how long-winded it might be. I’ll have to split it into four sections; presumed background of the universe, storyline, characters, future possibilities and aftermath.

Presumed background of the universe
So this is all that I’ve been able to work out from information and trailers and such so it might not all be 100% correct but if it is what I’m suggesting would fit into it. First off heroes have been around for a long time. With Batman being middle aged now and with the supposed appearance of Jason Todd/Red Hood we can presume that Batman is now onto his third Robin. Presumably each would be with him for quite a while for Dick to mature to the point he believes he doesn’t have to work underneath Bruce anymore, for Jason to be valued by Batman before dying and then for a lengthy amount of time of searching for him before the mantle being taken up by Tim. I’d say all this would take a minimum of ten years to complete. Due to him being around for so long it is possible that other human heroes will have been around for a long time so heroes such as Green Arrow and Mr Terrific may already exist in this universe. We’ve only had Man of Steel so far so we have no way of knowing and if the chart which documents the different companies in this universe we can presume that the leader of each company does exist and may well be already or might become a hero in the future.
We can also presume that people with powers are a new thing. They were very shocked with the appearance of Superman in Man of Steel and form what we hear Waller say in the Suicide Squad trailer is that they crazy people, most of which have powers, are only a new trend in the world and only since Man of Steel, we can presume that prior to this most criminals were those without powers such as the Joker so would mainly be most of the galleries for more human heroes such as Batman and Green Arrow. This would mean there would be a lack of metahuman heroes in this universe or they may exist but will rely more on their other skills than their powers.

Because of how important Green Arrow is to the TV universe but how small a character he would be if in the DCEU I am going to presume they may put off using him for a while or we may never actually get to see him but they could easily hint towards his existence.

Characters
Okay, so the Birds of Prey most well-known characters are Oracle/Batgirl, Black Canary, Huntress and Lady Blackhawk. They’re like the big players for this team. Now I know it might be a risky option but for what is a smaller property than the Justice League/Teen Titans I think they should take liberties with it and not use all four big names straight off the bat and have a nice mix of pre and post flashpoint team members. The team I would suggest using would be Oracle, Black Canary, Ice, Misfit and Starling. It might seem like such a random grouping but I believe I’ve thought it through quite well and seen how the characters can all work off each other. With the team being made up of much lesser known characters it allows DC to do whatever they want with them and make it stand out from the comics. The only problem is that some these characters are very much tied into other comic mythos. Obviously Oracle is tied into the Batfamily and the Joker and would help represent that he also has Batgirls and that not everyone stays safe. They appear to be exploring Jason Todd in the solo Batman stuff so this would be a nice reminder that his death was not a one off but that people are constantly in danger. This would also help to differentiate from Marvel who can’t seem to keep a hero dead or seriously injured. Due to this Misfit is also very much tied up in this. Her introduction to the comics was her trying to replace the now dead Stephanie Brown as Batgirl which if explored in the film would further emphasis the danger of being in the Bat family. Black Canary is very much tied up in Green Arrow and as mentioned earlier I don’t believe they may every use him or it will be a long time till we see him, but they can use her character to start dropping hints towards his existence and how he may turn up eventually in the DCEU. From what we’ve seen with Starling in the comics she is mainly tied up with Black Canary but we still don’t know all that much. Ice is very much the one which is most free as she is only tied up with the Global Guardians and the Justice League International which I don’t think will ever appear, at most she might be tied up with Kyle Raynor which would help tie this film further into the main DC films if he appears in the Green Lanterns Corp film. But ultimately I do believe that the characters can be made into their own and all this hinting towards their past lives would just cement the film being part of the DCEU which Marvel struggle to do in terms of making each film feel all in the same universe.
So Oracle in this film would be in her early twenties. Since her time as Batgirl it has been a long time and Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown have already took up the mantle and gone. She would be the leader of the Birds and would be very motherly to the rest of the team.

Black Canary would be the most experienced. She would be in her early thirties and would be a long established hero just like Oracle. Her time in Star City with Green Arrow would be long behind her. Due to the mistrust of metahumans it may well be she has had her powers for a long time and may have hidden it or it may well be a newly developed power which could give her an interesting story in how she struggles to deal with such an unstable power.

Starling would be the last or the original Birds of Prey. She would be an old spy friend of Black Canary who is only on her team due to friendship to her and her skills and experience. She is considered a wildcard by Oracle and the two have an almost antagonistic friendship. She’d be in her late twenties who tries to use her years in the field to try and prove herself correct over Oracle.

Misfit would be the youngest of the group. She wants to become the new Batgirl but is forced into stopping these plans when Oracle shows her pictures of Brown’s dead body. Instead she will become Misfit and she will constantly attempt to join the Birds but is rejected by Oracle. She is constantly sneaking into the clock tower and getting in the way of the team. Despite being a metahuman she cares little about people’s opinions of her abilities and instead uses them to have fun and get what she wants.

Lastly would be Ice. Like Black Canary she would be wary about using her powers but they’re newly developed and she doesn’t have the most control. Without going into the details of the story in this section she would start off being hunted by the Birds of Prey before her innocence is proven and she joins them to find the people who are framing her.

Storyline
So as should be established so far the team exists before the start of the film but isn’t that old, maybe near to a year. Both Black Canary and Oracle have years of experience with Green Arrow and Batman respectively and Starling has years of experience as a spy. Radcliffe’s transformation from a Batgirl wannabe into Misfit also predates the film. These experiences they’ve had will be referenced in the film.

The film would begin further establishing the mistrust of metahumans, almost like the mutants in X Men. We’d see the scenes of certain crimes that have used ice-based powers to commit the crimes. Suspicion would turn to Ice who has newly arrived in Gotham and has struggled with her powers which has caused some small incidents. Despite some suggestions that it may be Mr Freeze his retirement many years earlier makes people choose to suspect ice more, also due to the fact she is metahuman. Ice is locked up in an amalgamation prison that would represent both Blackgate and Concord Federal Penitentiary as she is locked up with Killer Frost. The two managed to break out of the prison which would be reminiscent of KF’s escape from Concord but you can see the distress on Ice’s face as she watches KF’s kill guards. They split up once far enough away as Ice tries to disappear into Gotham but being new to the country/city she has no contacts and no knowledge of where to go. She is eventually hunted down by Starling and Black Canary who are being told what to do by Oracle in the clock tower. After holding her own long enough against the two martial artists BC finally uses her powers to shatter Ice’s ice walls which allows them to capture her and bring her in. Ice persuades them that she is innocent of the crimes and that she was imprisoned due to her abilities. After some snooping by Oracle online and Starling sneaking in to get some evidence they find out that Ice is telling the truth and decide to help find out who is framing her.

Misfit sneaks in at this point and interrupts the meeting to the annoyance of the others. She is forced to leave but continues to listen in from afar. The Birds which now includes Ice start to investigate who actually committed the crimes instead of Ice and Killer Frost (who was locked up at the time) and despite the police ignoring the possibility of Mr Freeze they soon discover that he was actually behind it. As they confront him he reveals he now has a small army at his disposal. The team struggle to properly take him down whilst finding out more information that Mr Freeze is being controlled by a higher power. The team finally bring in Misfit to help after she rescues Black Canary whose reluctance to use her powers that often lead her into trouble. The film ends with them finally proving Ice’s innocence and that Mr Freeze was guilty but they are left with a cliff hanger that leads Oracle into deciding that they need to further investigate who was framing Ice. The new expanded Birds of Prey are ready to follow Oracle’s lead into a war against this unknown enemy.

Future
A potential sequel would follow the Birds further investigating this higher power and would ultimately pit them against the Secret Six. This is something that has been featured in the comics and would reveal that the higher power that was manipulating Mr Freeze is the person who holds the Mockingbird mantle and is controlling the Secret Six. I haven’t thought too much about the line-up but it would be nice to see Black Alice on the team especially after the realisation that Black Alice and Misfit are related. Catman would probably be a given but after that I’m unsure. Despite in the comics we saw Starling betray the Birds when they went up against Mr Freeze, it wouldn’t happen in the first film but in the sequel as Mockingbird manipulates her to turn against the Birds and she would be replaced by Huntress, possibly as a sort of swap over thing with the Secret Six if Huntress had been forced into joining the Secret Six. This could then lead to a Secret Six spin off film. If not it would provide both films would provide villains who could eventually join in a later Suicide Squad film; Mr Freeze, Killer Frost, Catman, Black Alice, the other four members of the Secret Six, Starling.

Aftermath
The film would help expand the DCEU a lot further by involving smaller, lesser known characters and would also make the universe feel much tighter knit than that of Marvel. Due to so many finding their origins in with other characters, even if some like Green Arrow, don’t know up the film would be able to hint towards them. It also means that characters could spin off and appear in other films. As mentioned the villains could easily appear in Suicide Squad films and Oracle and Misfit could easily be brought into any Batman solo films whilst Ice could appear in the GLC film if Kyle Raynor is in it.
It would also add more depth to the characters whilst fitting in with information already presented by other films, trailers and interviews. Oracle’s journey and her actions with Misfit would bring more depth to the reality of being in the Batfamily and would make Joker feel like an even bigger villain whilst Black Canary and Ice’s struggles with their powers would be nice to see as it rarely gets covered in films. Even in the TV shows people never seem to have too much of a struggle with their powers and it normally gets fixed within one episode. It would be nice to see Black Canary using her inner strength and her martial arts to solve problems as she struggles with using her Canary Cry.

I really hope that people enjoy my ideas for a film/s and would love to hear other people’s opinions on the matter and how you would make it work or even if you would bother to begin with. I’d just love to see some films where the big bad isn’t this all powerful enemy and the heroes aren’t extremely overpowered.

Also my apologies about some sections being split into two spoiler groups. I've tried to rectify it but it's not working on my phone or laptop so I guess we'll have to make do.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"