Birds of Prey General Discussion and Speculation

Discussion in 'Birds of Prey' started by flickchick85, Oct 9, 2018.

1. MadVillainy C'mon Son

I mean it was just delayed and I doubt he'd want to cut it just to grow it out again for a, maybe, Jan 2021 start

2. Shinobi Shaw Hellfire Club's Black King

I can’t help but wonder that if this movie actually does become a blockbuster, if they’d connect it with The Batman movie.

Margot’s Harley, Zoe’s Catwoman and a fresh Poison Ivy could be BoP: Gotham City Sirens. Killing two birds with one stone, sorta (no pun intended).

3. MadVillainy C'mon Son

I really doubt they would.

I wouldn't expect anymore serious DC crossovers/tie ins for a while. Except for in Flashpoint maybe

4. jmc away for a while

People need to learn the difference between sexualised and idealised. Regardless, the truth is sex sells whether the blue checkmarks like it or not. Will the lack of 'sexiness' affect this film? It might to some degree, not enough to cause it to flop however, the film itself will be the main factor there. But, like it or not comics skew male, so if you take part of what's attractive of the genre out you're naturally likely to draw less interest (not just guys but ladies too I'll add). The question I keep having when I look at this film is that I don't know who it's aimed at. Its marketing doesn't seem to have a clear audience in mind, normally you can tell who the target demographic is. Instead this is seemingly relying on how wacky and loud it looks to entice people in, and that to me is not a good marketing strategy. I still believe WB has put way too much stock on the Harley Quinn character appeal to be the selling point, but we'll know in a week or so I guess.

5. MadVillainy C'mon Son

Who in the world said this takes out "sexiness?"
    Maybe I missed it from a previous post.

Look at the cast. Look at what most of them are wearing.

6. Boom I got nothin'

I frankly don't know what dudes are seeing. This cast is a Grade A Smokeshow.

TMP98 and Snow Queen like this.
  7. MadVillainy C'mon Son

It's not just that they're hot, they're all dressed down a fair bit.

This for sure has sex appeal.

8. jmc away for a while

All in the eye of the beholder.

9. kguillou Registered

The trailers did a poor job of marketing this movie. Just the way they were edited, a lot of the jokes thudded and you didnt get a clear sense of what this movie IS. Although the second trailer was much better than the first. Suicide Squad for example, even though the finished product ended up a mess those trailers were gangbusters and its opening weekend BO proved it.

10. jmc away for a while

Say what you will about the film, but SS was marketed well. It had an energy and fun quality to it.

11. MadVillainy C'mon Son

[​IMG]

PrehistoricDog and Kane52630 like this.
  12. Fincher Coming Undone

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't say there's no sex appeal, but it's probably at the bottom of the DCEU movies, at least from what we've seen of it. It isn't that the cast isn't hot. I think Mary Elizabeth Winstead is potentially the hottest actress in the DCEU. However, like I said before, I think there's more to attractive costume design than showing skin, and like I said I don't like Black Canary's look at all. Harley and Huntress are better, but not the hottest they could look. I'm not going to go over everything, but just for example Helena's eye makeup doesn't help.

On top of that, though, there's something about the cinematography, as in the look of the movie. If you look at the blue-tinted World War I landscape of Wonder Woman, it's not exactly what I would call setting the mood, but it's...normal in terms of sexual atmosphere. If you took these actresses out of Birds of Prey and put them in blue WWI wearing and doing the same things, it would instantly boost the eye candy factor. There's just something about Birds of Prey that's flattening it. I mean, it looks nice otherwise, it's a very pretty movie, but on that particular front it's leaving me cold.

13. Schlosser85 A Very Stable Genius

I highly doubt they connect something as over-the-top and campy as Birds of Prey with something as, from what we've heard so far, dark and serious as Reeves' Batman. The tones seem pretty clashing.

Plus Birds of Prey exists in the same universe as Batfleck.

14. jmc away for a while

This type of pickiness is extremely rare.

15. Invader Joker Registered

Regarding the "sexy" argument I'd say that for me it boils down that almost all the aesthetic choices in this movie I find absolutely horrible.

Harley looks fine but her costume(s) are for the most part are garbage, Huntress suit is terrible and Black Canary's design is absolutely horrible. That brings down the sex appeal a little bit for me, even though the three of them are pretty attractive.

Although I do find the argument that this movie is gonna bomb because of that to be idiotic; at the same time though, you can find an argument as idiotic as that for absolutely ANY movie. I don't understand why the DC fandom and Twitter had to hop onto a random guy attacking an opinion that doesn't even have that much traction. Everyone got so mad at that meaningless tweet from a random loser as if it mattered at all.

16. The Batman The Dark Knight

17. Gothamsknight Registered

18. TheSmoothKnight Registered

19. jmc away for a while

It's never ceases to amaze me. It doesn't make sense to simply, you know, ignore people who make dumb or just plain 'ol trollish comments. It's like they cannot help themselves. Honestly, I believe half the reason you saw the rise of anti-TLJ crowd was because the morons on Twitter didn't know when to shut the **** up. All they did was elevate minority voices to a level where those people now have tens or even hundreds of thousands of followers, and probably making a decent money off youtube and merch. So yeah, that good ol' finger waging sure as hell worked out well...

20. Micromind New World New Rules

21. Shinobi Shaw Hellfire Club's Black King

They look good.

I really can’t wait to see what Rosie does in this movie. Glad to see Montoya finally get some big screen shine.

22. Micromind New World New Rules

Some fans are not really liking what they are seeing in Birds of Prey, some reactions on Reddit ..

[​IMG]

Some posters might not be watching this

#2497 Micromind, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    TheGuy likes this.
  23. Micromind New World New Rules

24. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

I will definitely watch it. though it definitely feels like a bad cosplay where the actors don't even tried to properly adapt the comic book costume and just wore whatever they wanted.

25. Micromind New World New Rules