Birds of Prey Birds of Prey General Discussion and Speculation

I mean it was just delayed and I doubt he'd want to cut it just to grow it out again for a, maybe, Jan 2021 start

I can’t help but wonder that if this movie actually does become a blockbuster, if they’d connect it with The Batman movie.

Margot’s Harley, Zoe’s Catwoman and a fresh Poison Ivy could be BoP: Gotham City Sirens. Killing two birds with one stone, sorta (no pun intended).

I really doubt they would.

I wouldn't expect anymore serious DC crossovers/tie ins for a while. Except for in Flashpoint maybe

People need to learn the difference between sexualised and idealised. Regardless, the truth is sex sells whether the blue checkmarks like it or not. Will the lack of 'sexiness' affect this film? It might to some degree, not enough to cause it to flop however, the film itself will be the main factor there. But, like it or not comics skew male, so if you take part of what's attractive of the genre out you're naturally likely to draw less interest (not just guys but ladies too I'll add). The question I keep having when I look at this film is that I don't know who it's aimed at. Its marketing doesn't seem to have a clear audience in mind, normally you can tell who the target demographic is. Instead this is seemingly relying on how wacky and loud it looks to entice people in, and that to me is not a good marketing strategy. I still believe WB has put way too much stock on the Harley Quinn character appeal to be the selling point, but we'll know in a week or so I guess.

Who in the world said this takes out "sexiness?"
Maybe I missed it from a previous post.

Look at the cast. Look at what most of them are wearing.

It's not just that they're hot, they're all dressed down a fair bit.

This for sure has sex appeal.

All in the eye of the beholder.

People need to learn the difference between sexualised and idealised. Regardless, the truth is sex sells whether the blue checkmarks like it or not. Will the lack of 'sexiness' affect this film? It might to some degree, not enough to cause it to flop however, the film itself will be the main factor there. But, like it or not comics skew male, so if you take part of what's attractive of the genre out you're naturally likely to draw less interest (not just guys but ladies too I'll add). The question I keep having when I look at this film is that I don't know who it's aimed at. Its marketing doesn't seem to have a clear audience in mind, normally you can tell who the target demographic is. Instead this is seemingly relying on how wacky and loud it looks to entice people in, and that to me is not a good marketing strategy. I still believe WB has put way too much stock on the Harley Quinn character appeal to be the selling point, but we'll know in a week or so I guess.

The trailers did a poor job of marketing this movie. Just the way they were edited, a lot of the jokes thudded and you didnt get a clear sense of what this movie IS. Although the second trailer was much better than the first. Suicide Squad for example, even though the finished product ended up a mess those trailers were gangbusters and its opening weekend BO proved it.

Say what you will about the film, but SS was marketed well. It had an energy and fun quality to it.

All in the eye of the beholder.
4cvx2bT.jpg

I frankly don't know what dudes are seeing. This cast is a Grade A Smokeshow.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't say there's no sex appeal, but it's probably at the bottom of the DCEU movies, at least from what we've seen of it. It isn't that the cast isn't hot. I think Mary Elizabeth Winstead is potentially the hottest actress in the DCEU. However, like I said before, I think there's more to attractive costume design than showing skin, and like I said I don't like Black Canary's look at all. Harley and Huntress are better, but not the hottest they could look. I'm not going to go over everything, but just for example Helena's eye makeup doesn't help.

On top of that, though, there's something about the cinematography, as in the look of the movie. If you look at the blue-tinted World War I landscape of Wonder Woman, it's not exactly what I would call setting the mood, but it's...normal in terms of sexual atmosphere. If you took these actresses out of Birds of Prey and put them in blue WWI wearing and doing the same things, it would instantly boost the eye candy factor. There's just something about Birds of Prey that's flattening it. I mean, it looks nice otherwise, it's a very pretty movie, but on that particular front it's leaving me cold.

I highly doubt they connect something as over-the-top and campy as Birds of Prey with something as, from what we've heard so far, dark and serious as Reeves' Batman. The tones seem pretty clashing.

Plus Birds of Prey exists in the same universe as Batfleck.

Regarding the "sexy" argument I'd say that for me it boils down that almost all the aesthetic choices in this movie I find absolutely horrible.

Harley looks fine but her costume(s) are for the most part are garbage, Huntress suit is terrible and Black Canary's design is absolutely horrible. That brings down the sex appeal a little bit for me, even though the three of them are pretty attractive.

Although I do find the argument that this movie is gonna bomb because of that to be idiotic; at the same time though, you can find an argument as idiotic as that for absolutely ANY movie. I don't understand why the DC fandom and Twitter had to hop onto a random guy attacking an opinion that doesn't even have that much traction. Everyone got so mad at that meaningless tweet from a random loser as if it mattered at all.

Regarding the "sexy" argument I'd say that for me it boils down that almost all the aesthetic choices in this movie I find absolutely horrible.

Harley looks fine but her costume(s) are for the most part are garbage, Huntress suit is terrible and Black Canary's design is absolutely horrible. That brings down the sex appeal a little bit for me, even though the three of them are pretty attractive.

Although I do find the argument that this movie is gonna bomb because of that to be idiotic; at the same time though, you can find an argument as idiotic as that for absolutely ANY movie. I don't understand why the DC fandom and Twitter had to hop onto a random guy attacking an opinion that doesn't even have that much traction. Everyone got so mad at that meaningless tweet from a random loser as if it mattered at all.

It's never ceases to amaze me. It doesn't make sense to simply, you know, ignore people who make dumb or just plain 'ol trollish comments. It's like they cannot help themselves. Honestly, I believe half the reason you saw the rise of anti-TLJ crowd was because the morons on Twitter didn't know when to shut the **** up. All they did was elevate minority voices to a level where those people now have tens or even hundreds of thousands of followers, and probably making a decent money off youtube and merch. So yeah, that good ol' finger waging sure as hell worked out well...

They look good.

I really can’t wait to see what Rosie does in this movie. Glad to see Montoya finally get some big screen shine.

Some fans are not really liking what they are seeing in Birds of Prey, some reactions on Reddit ..

we4356.jpg

Some posters might not be watching this

Eh. I'm good.

I did predict that critics would like it though for being "out there" and "kooky"

It's just not for me.
And it's just Twitter reviews from critics. I feel like those are always mostly positive. Unless the film is near dreadful to a lot of them, like TRoS they pretty much always are just hypebeasts over things

I'm not surprised about Harley Quinn getting positive reactions; almost every movie seems to. When does the review embargo end? I'd bet it ends up closer to a mixed reaction.

Pleasantly surprised by the reactions. The trailers haven't been doing much for me.

Legitimately surprised, thought this would be a trashfire. Still not interested in seeing it though as it doesn't seem to stay true to the comics at all.

I somehow do not trust any of these reviews but anyway, I'm biased I think I'm gonna pass on this one, not my cup of tea at all, the more I see of it the less I want to see it.

I hope it does well if only because I want the DC brand to get back on track.

And I'm glad there's appareantly no Jared Leto in this movie. **** him.

Its probably going to get a rotten consensus but I'd like to be wrong.

Last edited:
I will definitely watch it. though it definitely feels like a bad cosplay where the actors don't even tried to properly adapt the comic book costume and just wore whatever they wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"