Birds of Prey Birds of Prey General Discussion and Speculation

I just can't get excited about this movie whatsoever. Other than Harley, the other characters don't look anything like their comic book counterparts and they seem to have completely different backstories. It's like we've gone back to the early 2000s.

We have got so many close to accurate comic book characters and movies that we can experiment a bit and it's not as if they are very different from what they are supposed to be.

I welcome a bit grounded take on the characters without a world ending scenario with super-villain or a "beam in the sky" type third act. After JL, Aquaman, Shazam and two Avengers movies and it's nice change to see a more grounded movie with small scale action. (Black Widow movie action looks too over the top to me, but maybe some fans like that.)

Black Canary has her super-power the Canary Cry, Huntress's origin is close enough to her comic book origin, and she uses her Crossbow as in comics.

Harley Quinn behaves just like Harley Quinn, this movie takes her further in her character journey, Harley will appear in a different costume again in upcoming James Gunn's "The Suicide Squad" movie.

Renee Montoya and Black Mask are very close to their depictions in comics, only deviation here is Cassandra Cain.

Last edited:
As for what makes him such a fitting foil for Harley, McGregor had an intriguing take: “I think that he’s an absolute control freak. He’s insane when he’s not in control. We only see him in his club, in his car, in his apartment. I feel like we only see him there because he has to be somewhere that he controls. Harley comes into that world and she’s uncontrollable, and it drives him mad and he hates it.”

McGregor continued, “It plays into the overall misogyny and the exploration of misogyny because he puts up with her because she’s Joker’s girlfriend, right? He’s all powerful and so frightening, but as soon as he realizes that her man’s out of the picture he thinks he can take her down, and that makes him a true misogynist I think. She’s trying to find her freedom, she’s trying to find her voice and find her power as a woman who’s no longer relying on or getting that power from her partner anymore.”

Despite the fact that the female-fronted R-rated superhero movie has some important stuff to say, Hodson doesn’t think its exploration of emancipation and freedom is confined solely to its heroines. “Beyond all of that, though, beyond the male and the female thing, what I really think is fun is that this is a story about emancipation for all of these characters,” she said. “Thematically that’s the thing that they’re all looking for. Roman is looking for it from his family, from hi
s parents, fighting to have that freedom to do his own thing and to run the town. So thematically that’s something that runs through all of these characters.”

Ewan McGregor on the Misogyny Driving BIRDS OF PREY's Black Mask - Nerdist

I might have missed it, but does anyone know when tickets are going on sale? Kind of surprised nothing has been released yet up here in Canada.

BoP promotion in London.

EPYSzoq-Xk-Ac2s-YQ.jpg

BoP at Cannes, France.

qk2zbudf3qd41.jpg

How's the opening BO tracking for this?

It’s subtle stuff but it’s just how she was treated in the Suicide Squad. I get that people assume that Harley wants to wear crazy things but the short shorts she had to wear the entire film were clearly picked to be eye candy for the men in the audience. Birds of Prey allows her to keep that vibe but without being uncomfortable while fighting/doing things. I wouldn’t complain if the situation was equal though and the male hero’s were also put in the same situations but they aren’t (they do go shirtless but is that even the same thing? Nah)

Yes, it is the same exact thing. You can't tell me that Momoa, Cavill, Hemsworth and heck even Tom Holland haven't been sexualized along with other superhero lead actors, they totally have.

Also, Harley's outfit in SS was Margot's choice, so that "male gaze" argument is pointless since that outfit was literally Margot's idea.

The top-grossing movie of all time and top-grossing superhero movie literally has a joke about Captain America's ass, that alone invalidates any single argument that says women are more sexualized than men in superhero movies, they're both sexualized... and I don't mind anyway.

Last edited:
Hell Tom Holland literally stripped to his underwear in his first Spider-Man movie. All of these superheroes are sexualized these days, male and female.

Not just the first one, he also did it in Far From Home and they lingered on it for a while.

And to be honest? I think it's fine, both in movies and in comics. Women certainly don't mind seeing hot men in superhero movies and men certainly don't mind seeing hot women. I know lots of women that see these movies in part because they find the superheroes attractive. I don't think it's an issue, everything is balanced... as it should be.

Is there any buzz for this movie? Because I'm legit not seeing it anywhere. The social media review embargo being lifted isn't even trending, so I'm not sure where that $52m opening weekend figure is coming from. :shrug:

I read on IGN just now that people who saw it said Margot, Ewan and Rosie are the scene stealers.

Not just the first one, he also did it in Far From Home and they lingered on it for a while.

And to be honest? I think it's fine, both in movies and in comics. Women certainly don't mind seeing hot men in superhero movies and men certainly don't mind seeing hot women. I know lots of women that see these movies in part because they find the superheroes attractive. I don't think it's an issue, everything is balanced... as it should be.
While I do agree with your point about both men and women are sexualized in media. AND toys, comics, movies, etc. do give really unrealistic goals for body types...it is different between the sexualization of the sexes.

While I do agree with your point about both men and women are sexualized in media. AND toys, comics, movies, etc. do give really unrealistic goals for body types...it is different between the sexualization of the sexes.
They're both sexualized in different ways but they are both sexualized in ways that appeal to the opposite sex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"