Birds of Prey Birds of Prey General Discussion and Speculation

Daniel Pemberton's full Birds of Prey OST on Water Tower -

Last edited:
4117f69e5292c9bd325948f20fb92469e5062e75.gifv

0f5eb2c0940fdfded90a4058575c3f0355c5c1e7.gifv

I saw it and to be honest, I can see why it’s not doing so great. I really wanted to like it but I think maybe it should have been a Harley Quinn movie not a birds of prey movie. Margot was amazing though

I saw it Thursday and loved it. I was actually pleasantly surprised how balanced it was with the other women. Only Huntress seemed to be a little short-changed. Montoya was much more involved and significant than I thought, and Dinah was the heart and glue of the movie. Harley was more the plot device serving as a catalyst to events.

Waiting to see it again right now! Can’t wait!

Edit: there are definitely more people in this screening than there were the opening night.

Last edited:
I just think it's cool that a Harley Quinn movie exists and was pretty good. I can be okay with never getting another Harley live action film.

I want more Harley Quinn movies. I just hope they pair her with Ivy and it’s a Bonnie and Clyde situation, except with plants and they play up the whole aspect of what Ivy is really doing and that she’s sort of an antihero... she wants to protect plants and the earth and not destroy it. Some could/would say she’s a hero...

My belated thoughts on seeing Birds of Prey (twice now).

This is an excellent superhero movie and if we don't see another solo adventure with Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn it'd be a damn shame. She is the first performer since Arlene Sorkin who I think has made the character compelling. She's not quite TAS Harley (obviously) but she has the same spirit and infectious glee. And after this movie she owns the role like Hugh Jackman owns Wolverine or Ryan Reynolds owns Deadpool.

The movie itself is very enjoyable. The first time I thought it was too manic, but like a lot of the '90s movies it emulates, it plays better the more you've seen it (though it's closer to the style over substance of Guy Ritchie than the Tarantino it aspires to be). It's not great, but it feels like a real movie with a real skewed perspective. More please with Poison Ivy, even if it's on HBO Max.

(I'm aware that it opened very low, but it had a low drop this weekend, and disappointing or not, it's the best superhero movie I've seen since Black Panther).

I want more Harley Quinn movies. I just hope they pair her with Ivy and it’s a Bonnie and Clyde situation, except with plants and they play up the whole aspect of what Ivy is really doing and that she’s sort of an antihero... she wants to protect plants and the earth and not destroy it. Some could/would say she’s a hero...

Greta Thunberg as Ivy then, with mean superpowers

I guess the question there is whether it looks better because the CGI is superior or because people have a less developed sense of what hyenas look like.

It was pretty meh. Action in the first 2/3rds was well choreographed, as you'd expect from the John Wick guy. The pace was decent too, never felt bored or too rushed. The world building of Gotham was interesting.

Problems were the choppy story and non-linear Deadpool style editing, it felt too scrambled here. Shoehorning of Huntress was too contrived. Cassandra Caine very miscast - the actress playing her was bad. Harley as a lead doesn't work for me. Her sctick gets tiring after a while; she doesn't have the natural panache as Deadpool does to carry a 2 hour movie. The only Birds character I liked was Canary and she was the most believeable fighter as she looks like she belongs in womans UFC. The rest of them are twigs and found it very far fetched they could beat up guys so easily.

5/10

Last edited:
I guess the question there is whether it looks better because the CGI is superior or because people have a less developed sense of what hyenas look like.
I see many tweets like this, at the end of the day, all of them are just opinions, nothing can be proved either way but I think they did a good job making him look like believable hyena, unlike the Dog from The Call of the wild movie where it is obvious that the dog was CGI and not really present there with the lead actor.

Last edited:
Jurnee as an MMA fighter? Maybe at atomweight, but that's it.

I see many tweets like this, at the end of the day, all of them are just opinions, nothing can be proved either way but I think they did a good job making him look like believable hyena, unlike the Dog from The Call of the wild movie where it is obvious that the dog was CGI and not really present there with the lead actor.

It probably helps that they had a dog stand in for the hyena, since the actual hyena they wanted to use was uncooperative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"