Birds of Prey Birds of Prey General Discussion and Speculation

Man i love how crazy those posters and all look.
I get really hyped for the movie, not gonna lie.

At CCXP 2019, Brazil.

ELDOSgVX0AAnBAa.jpg
Robbie looks so ****ing young. Lol.

Another pair of badass looking posters:
ELHwM_WWkAAbLlH

ELHwLubXUAAWJCR

First time the new Warner Bros. logo is used.

Last edited:
WB is so dumb, trailer in January?! What? The marketing for this is too quiet even with all the posters

is the trailer for this not coming out this weekend?.. Isn't this coming out sooner than Wonder Woman?

They already had a trailer released a few months back. It’s not like this is the first one.

Release the Snydercut!!!

Jokes aside, the posters look unique, fun, and trippy and I like the painted drawn/graphic novel aesthetic.

The movie sounds like it’ll be a a total trip! Looking forward to seeing all the variety of film tones and looks that DC is coming out with. Joker, this, Aquaman, WW, Shazam, MOS. There is such amazing variety

is the trailer for this not coming out this weekend?.. Isn't this coming out sooner than Wonder Woman?

I expected a trailer to have already dropped but it makes sense to wait...today comes wonder woman, you cant put out a trailer close to that...especially a movie like BOP that has the people split in the middle.
Makes sense to wait till january or so to release it.
That few weeks wont make it or break it.

lol why push it till Jan that’s like a month out from release, might as well wait to push it till March after Joker’s award run.

Miss the whole run to attach to SW as well. All that hype from Brazil not transferred to the mainstream

The is almost exactly how they dragged Shazam’s box office run down, not showing enough, 2 trailers and a teaser like Joker, is this thing gonna get a golden lion at Venice to help out marketing?

Could be looking at 400-500M a little higher than Shazam thanks to Margot’s popularity and an all girl team (but an all girl team just bombed hard recently), could be looking at 700+ if they push harder

I think it's a smart move, If they release it now, the hype will die down by the time of release date, they obviously want to get people's attention just few weeks before movie's release.

BoP (like Shazam) looks like a 2 hour something movie , they don't have enough material for a third trailer without giving away key plot points.

I think it's a smart move, If they release it now, the hype will die down by the time of release date, they obviously want to get people's attention just few weeks before movie's release.

BoP (like Shazam) looks like a 2 hour something movie , they don't have enough material for a third trailer without giving away key plot points.

Yeah.
I dont think the movie has many Plotlines or so to have many trailers...i think you do well enough with posters and maybe 2 trailers.
But it can backfire if you dont promote it enough.
And you already have a lot of people being unsure for various reasons about this movie, so not doing enough to convince people to see the movie can be a problem.

I honestly dont know whats the best approach here because i feel people somehow give the movie a hard time just for the sake of it while giving other movies the benefit of a doubt.
I dont know, hard to say.

Yeah.
I dont think the movie has many Plotlines or so to have many trailers...i think you do well enough with posters and maybe 2 trailers.
But it can backfire if you dont promote it enough.
And you already have a lot of people being unsure for various reasons about this movie, so not doing enough to convince people to see the movie can be a problem.

I honestly dont know whats the best approach here because i feel people somehow give the movie a hard time just for the sake of it while giving other movies the benefit of a doubt.
I dont know, hard to say.
It will be fine, no competition in Feb, just Sonic ?

It will be fine, no competition in Feb, just Sonic ?

Fantasy Island, The Kings man, bloodshot, the invisible man come out in February...i dont know, seems like the competition isnt the easiest here.
And Sonic is a huge question mark to me, i have no clue if the movie can deliver or not.
BOP will have it hard, even with Margot Robbie as leading lady.

Sonic looks like fun I'm keen to take my family to it, I don't represent everyone but I didn't have any intention to go to that one until I saw the new trailer and heard about how they responded etc. FYI

As far as BOP goes I'm just having a flashback to Shazam, they branded as a teen comedy with a generic bad guy, and...that's it. 350M or something box office, the end.

They could have clips or intro to each little kid to market it as a children going out for adventure, they could have shown the darker elements to the story, they could have tried to attract more family and fans of fun/horror crowds. But nah, it's all Angel, Levi and Freddy bantering. 90%+ RT but they probably only earned about 50M profit on a 100M budget. Could easily have had 150M net profit.

This time they are holding this trailer back, then when they release it it'll be the final one. We don't see profiles of Huntress, Canary, Cassandra, Montoya, Black Mask etc. They're obviously banking on people just show up for HQ/Margot and fall in love with the other characters after seeing it.

But could have been so much more if they release this one say at the most in 2 wks, attach it to the SW film, and release a final character trailer focusing on the other heroines and emphasis on the "team" element, because I'm talking out of experience here, I know real life girls who are annoyed by HQ, but if you show them badass Huntress, Canary etc, you know, they might just show up for these characters, why keeping the spotlights away from them when they can draw more crowd??

It just feels like Hamada is giving them 20 cents to market this thing, like Shazam. Even Deadpool had a bunch of RR clips to give it a boost. I'm way more hyped for WW84 right now cuz....I saw jack with BOP after all these talk, lol

Sonic looks like fun I'm keen to take my family to it, I don't represent everyone but I didn't have any intention to go to that one until I saw the new trailer and heard about how they responded etc. FYI
Sonic looks fun and entertaining but it will have to earn a lot of money to be financially successful.

As far as BOP goes I'm just having a flashback to Shazam, they branded as a teen comedy with a generic bad guy, and...that's it. 350M or something box office, the end.

They could have clips or intro to each little kid to market it as a children going out for adventure, they could have shown the darker elements to the story, they could have tried to attract more family and fans of fun/horror crowds. But nah, it's all Angel, Levi and Freddy bantering. 90%+ RT but they probably only earned about 50M profit on a 100M budget. Could easily have had 150M net profit.
Shazam was always going to suffer going against Avengers: Endgame, no matter how much they marketed it. WB picked-up wrong release date.

Just wait for 2nd trailer, from all reports it's the best one. I think they will get character intros in TV spots. Low key marketing is obviously a sign that they are not going to spend a lot on this movie's marketing, could prove to be right thing to do as the movie will not be seen as a failure in case it under-performs.

Last edited:
Sonic looks fun and entertaining but it will have to earn a lot of money to be financially successful.

Shazm was always going to suffer going against Avengers: Endgame, no matter how much they marketed it. WB picked-up wrong release date.

Just wait for 2nd trailer, from all reports it's the best one. I think they will get character intros in TV spots. Low key marketing is obviously a sign that they are not going to spend a lot on this movie's marketing, could prove to be right thing to do as the movie will not be seen as a failure in case it under-performs.

Variety - "BOP is a success as it earned 190M off a 60M budget, thanks to god Hamada the marketing only cost 20 cents, so 60M 20 cents x 3 = 180M 60 cents, that's a 5M net profit, WB views that as a fantastic victory for Margot!"

=P

Variety - "BOP is a success as it earned 190M off a 60M budget, thanks to god Hamada the marketing only cost 20 cents, so 60M 20 cents x 3 = 180M 60 cents, that's a 5M net profit, WB views that as a fantastic victory for Margot!"

=P
Yeah, and then GCS will be green-lighted.

So speaking of like odes to films I’m curious if you could talk at all about how you kind of took something, a character that was established elsewhere and maybe paint odes to any other films in the shared universe, but also made it isolated ’cause that seems to be the theme of today?

Right.

Just the isolation of it.

Yeah. It’s definitely a challenge because you wanna pay homage to not just the comic books, but then also the films before it and obviously we’ve seen Margot play Harley before in Suicide Squad. And so it’s definitely a fun challenge to figure out like what do we keep from that version of Harley and what we differentiate. I think that given what the story’s about and her emancipation and that she’s out on her own, she’s not gonna do the Joker and with Suicide Squad she’s so connected to the Joker. I mean, their story is so intertwined. It really is their love story if you will. But this is not. And so I think that gave us a lot of opportunity to say like what is she like? Not necessarily post Joker but just in almost like a parallel universe and allowed I think all of us the freedom to say like we’re gonna create a different Gotham. And then of course we do keep certain things that is very Harley esque. Like her tattoos have remained the same. Her hair is a little different, but it feels like a natural like arc to her character from Suicide Squad. And she still remains recognizable I think. And even her like white skin. We do a different like patina on it so it feels a little bit different. It’s less thickly white I would say. But those are all like still touch points for sure.

Is there like an amount of time that we’ll see has passed since the last time we saw her that you can share?

There is not any known amount of time. No.

Okay.

Yeah. Like it kind of exists in a parallel timeline.

'Birds of Prey' Director Cathy Yan on Her Cinematic Influences and Building an All-Female Superhero Team [Set Visit Interview]

It sounds as if this is being treated similarly to the Keaton/Kilmer/Clooney Bat films or even classic Bond in that it's loosely connected but not specifically part of the same continuity or a direct sequel. A lot like Wonder Woman is being handled, actually.

To the people wondering why Batgirl/Babs isn't in the movie, Sue Kroll said they weren't allowed to use her because of the solo movie. The same came probably be said for GCS considering Selina is in Batman and Pamela will probably show up as well.

Last edited:
I just want to know how they explain where Batman and Commissioner Gordon are. Of all Gothamites, Gordon should be around there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"