Black Panther User Review Thread - Tag Spoilers

I gave the film a 9 and I would agree with many posters that BP is upper tier MCU. It touched on some very serious issues with a compelling villain, but kept the "comicbookiness"(?) I love in these films. The performances are excellent, but Letitia Wright and Winston Duke really stand out in supporting roles.

The CGI Panther fight was as wonky as it looked in the sneak preview, but it had a great ending and the wild
tribal battle
occurring on the surface at about the same time made up for any computer generated shortcomings. I'm very happy we get to go back to Wakanda in just a few more months.

I'm still processing where I place this movie in the MCU pantheon. I personally feel it is not the best MCU movie but this is not a slight nor does it change the fact I felt BP was a GREAT movie.

I will try to avoid spoilers here. Probably a good place to start was to get what I didn't really like out of the way. Marvel has really set the bar for action (esp the Russos) so this wasn't quite on the level of Winter Soldier or Civil War. Having said that, there were some clever and inventive sequences.
I'm not a car chase kind of guy but I liked the version they included here (is this a spoiler?). And the brawl which leads to the car chase started very choppy, i.e. it was hard to see what was going on but then it kind of settles in and it flows from there. And the first part of the movie didn't quite drag, but I felt it had a "running in place" kind of feel, like a holding pattern until Killmonger shows up.

I thought the acting was superb across the board, Serkis was a bit over the top but he's so great I just rolled with it. MBJ was dialed in; his villain, while quite evil, had clear and understandable motiviations. He wasn't a mustache twirling cut-out.
it was also fun watching him interact with his Wakandan brethren, because they would be all African and he'd be so Oakland. Jarring, but totally made sense.
The heroes and villains alike made mistakes, the characters generally had nuance. The dialogue was very snappy and the women especially were sassy and strong. Sexy without being exploitative. The cinematography was quite stunning (some of the vistas were simply gorgeous), and the use of such vivid colours (a metaphor =D) made it feel like a true comic book come to life. The movie was funnier than I expected (and I was expecting funny). Shuri was a crowd pleaser, for sure.

In the context of the MCU, it fit with the rest but was totally different. It was a great origin story, IMO. Wakanda is like nothing we've seen before. If I have a point of comparison, it's almost like everything the first Thor should have been regarding Asgard, but that ball was kind of dropped. The mysticism, the Ancestral Plane... it's all different in a fantastic way. There's some comic book nerd nitpicks I had with characterization:
Specifically, T'Challa is supposed to be one of the smartest men on earth, a genius on the level of a Tony Stark or Reed Richards. I wish they stuck with that, but their compromise worked with me as well, because Shuri is quite possibly smarter than either of them. So not a big beef. As an aside, I did love the succession/civil war bits because it almost had a "black"
Game of Thrones vibe to it.

I know some of you don't care for audience reactions, but mine heartily clapped throughout the end and the mid/end credit scenes. I'm not a clapper; would rather exult in the crowd's applause for a movie I heartily enjoyed. Hopefully this box is checked; it's 2018 and there was finally a "black" movie with a big budget and all the production values associated with such a budget. Hopefully this won't have to be such a significant event because it's just a normal thing now, which to me would show progress.

The movie was great on its own merits IMO, as mentioned the acting, the dialogue, the cinematography, the effects, and the story all worked. The movie had heart, but most of all it was fun. It really felt like everyone involved in this movie understood its cultural significance, but instead of drowning in self-seriousness they just had fun because it was a joyous occasion, something to be celebrated. It's another piece of the puzzle or mosaic that is the MCU, and it's a different piece than the rest, that makes the rest of the picture that much more beautiful.

TLDR: 9/10. Quick take: #3 in the MCU (below Civil War and Winter Soldier). Please don't hate me, I'm an action junkie/Superman fanatic and Captain America is the closest thing that passes to "traditional" Superman.

Last edited:
2702991-jackkirbytoughness.jpg

52 years in the making. Thank you, Jack!
Correction.
Considering he's the first writer to make stories focusing on his solo adventures, and made him more than a supporting character for the :ff:.

Majestic. One of the best superhero films ever and certainly one of the best Marvel films by far. My grade is an A.

Right now Black Panther and Black Lightning are two of my favorite heroes.

I really enjoyed the movie. This isn't my favorite Marvel Movie, but I think this may be the best Marvel Film if that makes sense. I think the reviews do Bozeman an injustice, he was excellent and I enjoyed the emotional arc that his character went on in this movie.

Well ...

6.5/10

Being a HUGE Marvel fan, this movie has me torn. The nobility of the character and his supporting characters comes across wonderfully and does justice to the source material in that regard. It’s a well written and acted film no question about it. Yet, judging it on two different fronts it is extremely lacking.

In terms of pure entertainment, it’s on the EXACT same level as Iron Man 2. (And I found IM2 to be the MCU’s weakest effort) Like IM2, Black Panther features very weak action and a “universe building” narrative held together by interesting characters and dialogue. The fight scenes are atrociously shot and almost inept. They are choppy and disjointed and in the larger scenes very cartoonish.

Then, there’s judging it on its political social commentary. That’s where it gets tricky and is where most movie critics fear to speak ill of it. Bottom line is the movie takes a stance that anyone not black is or has been an oppressor. Black Panther agrees but thinks that Wakanda should be better than the enemy and not sink to their level. Killmonger is pure black militant thinking every African descendant everywhere should be armed and violently destroy anyone of a different race. THAT is the tone of the film. In an era of divisiveness, this movie sure seems to want to bring gasoline to the fire. It’s not blatant and tries to hide it in comic book sci-fi visuals and story but it really isn’t all that subtle. The irony is that with all the pandering to today’s “victim blacks” the movie ends up tripping on its own message. Embracing African culture means having everyone dancing around like bush natives but with 23rd century technology. The assumptions it makes is insulting if you think about it. They CAN’T get ahead in modern civilization WITHOUT a “magic metal” that puts them hundreds of years ahead of the rest of the world. The message is that without Vibranium they would have no ability to prosper as a culture??? It seems this movie is less about showing pride in African culture and more about trying to perpetuate the myth that everyone of non-African decent is on some level evil. That certainly has an audience in this era whether you buy in to the white guilt propaganda or are angry at society or your place in society in general.

Does all that make a great film? The answer here is clearly NO but it doesn’t make for a bad film either.

I personally find the complaints about the action to be overblown. Some of it could’ve been shot better, there’s no denying it, but I thought it was mostly pretty damn good.

Regarding your other issue...I honestly don’t know how you could walk out of the film thinking that anyone involved in making it supports Killmonger’s point of view. He raises good points, yes, but it’s very clear to me that the film purposefully portrayed Killmonger and his militant beliefs as misguided.

I personally find the complaints about the action to be overblown. Some of it could’ve been shot better, there’s no denying it, but I thought it was mostly pretty damn good.

Regarding your other issue...I honestly don’t know how you could walk out of the film thinking that anyone involved in making it supports Killmonger’s point of view.

the only issue I had with the movie was the action. Not that they are bad because I thought they were fine, I wish they were more memorable and a bit longer like the ones in the Winter Soldier.

It's like being served a small meal that tasted very good but you wanted more.

I still give the movie an 8.5/10.

Black Panther - I really liked it. Jordan as Killmonger is by far one of Marvel's strongest villains (he has an actual reasonable motivation, and arc), and the movie has a lot to say in terms of themes and politics, but it never feels overwhelming. Plus the action sequences were great. Possibly in my top five of the MCU (still thinking it over though), the only downside is that for a change the hero is less interesting than the actual villains, still that's minor in the grand scheme of themes. Definitely one of the more impressive Marvel films anyway. - 8 / 10

Well ...

6.5/10

Being a HUGE Marvel fan, this movie has me torn. The nobility of the character and his supporting characters comes across wonderfully and does justice to the source material in that regard. It’s a well written and acted film no question about it. Yet, judging it on two different fronts it is extremely lacking.

In terms of pure entertainment, it’s on the EXACT same level as Iron Man 2. (And I found IM2 to be the MCU’s weakest effort) Like IM2, Black Panther features very weak action and a “universe building” narrative held together by interesting characters and dialogue. The fight scenes are atrociously shot and almost inept. They are choppy and disjointed and in the larger scenes very cartoonish.

Then, there’s judging it on its political social commentary. That’s where it gets tricky and is where most movie critics fear to speak ill of it. Bottom line is the movie takes a stance that anyone not black is or has been an oppressor. Black Panther agrees but thinks that Wakanda should be better than the enemy and not sink to their level. Killmonger is pure black militant thinking every African descendant everywhere should be armed and violently destroy anyone of a different race. THAT is the tone of the film. In an era of divisiveness, this movie sure seems to want to bring gasoline to the fire. It’s not blatant and tries to hide it in comic book sci-fi visuals and story but it really isn’t all that subtle. The irony is that with all the pandering to today’s “victim blacks” the movie ends up tripping on its own message. Embracing African culture means having everyone dancing around like bush natives but with 23rd century technology. The assumptions it makes is insulting if you think about it. They CAN’T get ahead in modern civilization WITHOUT a “magic metal” that puts them hundreds of years ahead of the rest of the world. The message is that without Vibranium they would have no ability to prosper as a culture??? It seems this movie is less about showing pride in African culture and more about trying to perpetuate the myth that everyone of non-African decent is on some level evil. That certainly has an audience in this era whether you buy in to the white guilt propaganda or are angry at society or your place in society in general.

Does all that make a great film? The answer here is clearly NO but it doesn’t make for a bad film either.

It seems you went in with a certain preconception, and misunderstood the whole film while at it. White guilt, my ass.

My only issues with the film were some of the cgi and pacing. Other than that, the film was darn near perfect imo.

The movie was a terrific experience! Great story with exciting, compelling characters. I thought the cast was fantastic, and the visuals were gorgeous.

I really enjoyed the movie. With all the hype I was expecting to be dissapointed, but it definitely lived up to my expectations. I just loved being in this world and I had no problems with the pacing honestly. I could have done with seeing more of Wakanda, but what we got was satisfying enough IMO. The standouts were definitely Jordan, Danai, Duke, Letita and Boseman. I'd say Kilmonger is easily one of the best if not the best villain we have gotten so far in the MCU. I don't know quite where I'd rank him right now, but it is somewhere at the top. What I loved most about this movie though is how much it didn't feel like Marvel movie which is what I really appreciated. It very much reminded me of the tone of TWS which is my second favorite MCU film ever. Its unfortunate though that when it actually did follow those Marvel tropes it was at its weakest because the majority of the action sequences are pretty messy, especially towards the end and the CGI wasn't that great either, but none of it ruined the movie for me.

8/10

A very solid thrill-ride. It's just what I always expected a Black Panther movie should be. Boseman brings alot of command to the title role. I agree that Killmonger is one of the best Marvel live-action villains(if not the best) alongside Loki and Kingpin. I noticed the classic Bond-films inspiration and really appreciated. Very fitting. Among top classic Marvel films!

I need to see it a couple more times to fully absorb it, but my brief review:

Black Panther is a testament to how far Marvel Studios has come. I believe this film will be a game changer in the years to come when it comes to the direction the MCU is headed in Phase 4. I found the film to have a healthy balance of a lot of the MCU flavours we’ve had so far: the political/psychological depths and arguments of Civil War, the emotion and relevancy of TWS, the freshness and charm of Iron Man 1, and the heart/fun moments of the Avengers. However, it also had its own unique flavour, in that it felt very different from the other films, which is not a bad thing at all. Aside from being arguably more standalone than any of the previous movies, it brought a cultural element that resonates with thousands of people on the planet, one that has never really been explored in a comic-book film.

The fact that the film pretty much perfectly encapsulates what the character is about and what he means to so many people is what makes this film a true winner in my book. Coogler, Cole, Feige and all others involved did a terrific job overall. They have created a new flavour within the MCU; one that transcends typical blockbuster territory. It is a testament to how far we’ve come since Iron Man 1.

The acting and characters were great, and T’Challa’s arc was great overall, learning how to truly become not just a great king, but a wise man. Killmonger was a great villain choice, and he fit very organically into the story. I was actually pretty sympathetic towards him by the end. MBJ was a great choice to fill his role.

Though not a perfect film, the flaws that most stood out to me so far: Martin Freeman’s character was a tad overused. I would have preferred to not have his role relegated to exposition and “help save the day” trope. I guess I just would have preferred more of that time spent with characters like Okoye, Nakia or Killmonger. I would have saved a lot of his role in this for BP 2, just teasing his involvement at this point.
The visuals at some points looked off, such as Warrior Falls, and the final battle sequence.
T’Challa’s suit in Civil War is still my favourite. I liked the upgrades and futuristic tech the new one integrated, however I think it was a little overdone, especially in the final battle, what with the electricity of the metal coursing through it and everything. I feel Black Panther should be a little more animal-like and natural when it comes to his costume.

That’s all I can really say at this point. I’m thinking top 5 for sure, but that could easily change in the next few weeks.

Though not a perfect film, there are only a few minor flaws I found, but overall another win for Marvel Studios. I’d probably rank it about #5 on my list right now, but that could change in the next few weeks. 9/10

Great movie. I gave it a 9, taking a point off for the CGI at the end, but this movie was wonderful in story, plot, villains, action, and themes.

I usually give it a letter grade. I'll give this a solid A.

Saw it last night. I'd give it a 3.5 out 4 stars, however, a couple of minor gripes I have:

1. I felt Wakanda was too scientifically, technologically and medicinally advanced. Vibranium seems like it can do anything, be anything and make anything. It just seemed like the Wakandans were too powerful. I hope that, in due time, since the door is open for an "Iron Man"-esque open world where villains now know where Wakanda is and where Black Panther lives, that Wakanda will become vulnerable, lose some of its power and they'll have to rely more on their wits and combat versus spaceships, lasers, and specialized suits.

And seeing vibranium onscreen makes me wish the X-Men would join the MCU a lot sooner versus this long wait. I want to see an MCU Wolverine.

2. I disliked that Klaue was underused. Once again, he served story purposes, but I was hoping to get more with his ion-gun hand and to go on into a future sequel with a specialized suit. Unfortunately, he was killed off. And in many ways, Kilmonger could've killed him from the get-go. I know that would've granted for a shorter movie but it just felt too convenient.

3. Speaking of convenience, the predictability that M'Baku would show up with his tribesmen at the end. It worked and served its purpose but still. One WTF question I have with that character is was he kidding about being a vegetarian because if so then how does he explain his ape-like costume? Is that artitificial ape fur? Lol.

Overall, though the casting was great, the acting was great, the set designs and costuming along with the visual effects will surely be on Oscar lists next year, and it's definitely a rousing film that proves yet again Marvel is king of superhero movies.

You want to elaborate on this a little? I mean other than Klaw who was CLEARLY a criminal, who was painted as an oppressor? Hell Killmonger was CLEARLY in the wrong. I’d say that the Tribalism vs Pan Africanism debates I’ve seen are a bit more valid. Even the bull argument that Killmonger makes it seem like Black American experience is ONLY violent and ignorant can make somewhat of a case (a stupid one, but a case). The portion in bold...yeah I’m not seeing it... like at all. It sounds like...

It seems you went in with a certain preconception, and misunderstood the whole film while at it. White guilt, my ass.

The movie was okay. I was hoping for something better, but left slightly disappointed. Here are the reasons why:

The actual Black Panther action scenes were weak, especially the first fight in the Jungle. You could barely see what was happening. The CGI throughout the entire movie was bad, and way too frequent. Was it really necessary for Black Panther to constantly shoot purple holograms all over the place? It felt like watching a video game.

The Black Panther suit tech was basically magic, very hard for me to take seriously and out of place among everything else in this movie, as well as the rest of the MCU. The amount of times the Black Panther's mask would disappear and reappear was a joke.
We see the same thing in many superhero movies, where the actors or director decide that it's important for facial expressions to be shown during certain scenes, but this was on a whole new level, due to the transforming nano-suit. The mask would pop on and off multiple times within the span of 20 seconds, just for single shots or for a single line of dialogue. It was distracting, and indecisive.

Those are pretty much my only issues, but I'd also like to say something about the subject of race within the movie.

Firstly, characters such as Killmonger seem to not understand the difference between 'ancestor' and 'race.' Your ancestors are those preceding you in your bloodline, such as your parents, grandparents, great grandparents etc. At one point, Killmonger tells a white woman that her ancestors took everything. Being that he has no idea who her ancestors are, what he actually means to say is that her race (white people) took everything.
At another point, Killmonger says that his ancestors killed themselves by jumping off of slave ships. Obviously, if someone killed themselves prior to having children, they are the ancestor of nobody. Again, rather than ancestors, I believe he is referring to people of his race that merely existed in the past.

In another scene, Black Panther's sister, whom we are meant to like and root for, refers to a white man as 'colonizer.' Being that he himself is not a colonizer, we can conclude that she is using the word colonizer as a synonym for white person. This makes as much sense as calling black people 'basket ball players.'
I'm not sensitive enough to be offended by these things, but this kind of racial stereotyping would undoubtedly be seen as offensive if it were not directed at a white person.

This is not my favorite Marvel film, but this film succeeds in that it truly gave a new flavor to the MCU. It was much less forumlaic than most superhero films, and unlike Wonder Woman it's not just getting props for being the "first of" film for having a minority as the main protagonist rather than a side character, in what Wonder Woman did for a female lead. This film was much more original and had a stronger script.

The film does lack some of the humor we're used to having in Marvel films. Some are going to welcome that, and some are going to miss it. Personally I missed it, but I think it was a good move and probably is a good counter point having come from Thor Ragnarok which is on the Guardians side of the humor scale.

I loved the cinematography in this film, the scenes in Korea are very reminiscent of Skyfall, and some of the great Bond films. The scenes in Wakanda are breathtaking. I really liked the artwork and artistry of combining the technological with African culture.

All I can say is that Avengers Infinity War has a tough act to follow, but once again Marvel shows no signs of slowing down.

9/10

Coming from someone who didn't particularly care for the trailers, I thought this film was incredible.

Coming from someone who didn't particularly care for the trailers, I thought this film was incredible.

I really had low expectations and after the first 15 minutes I thaught: Naaaa I dont like it.

But it went better and better for me. Okoye was brilliant, all female roles were super. Love the villain and the political hints. My only complaints are, that with that awesome supporting characters, Black Panther comes a Little bit boring in compare.

How can anyone not like the first 20 minutes? It's pure afrofuturist heaven.

All I can say is that Avengers Infinity War has a tough act to follow, but once again Marvel shows no signs of slowing down

I actually feel more sorry for Antman and The Wasp. There isn’t all that much hype going for it and it has to follow two huge blockbusters. On top of that there are now some accusations against Douglas. It might not bode well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"