Black Panther

superhuman said:
I love Black Panther, don't get me wrong, I mean I have every issue ever printed, but this new comic is....just ok.

I agree...which kinda sucks. I thought the Priest series started with such potential (loved the first 7 issues of that series graphically and script), then the revolving art direction turned me off.

Right now I give both the writing (Reginald Hudlin) and the art (not a fan of Romita's work) an average score of 5 out of 10.

Black Panther has the potential to be Marvel's "Batman" character if done correctly. Rich, single, well educated, physically fit.

Don't drop the ball again Marvel.

I thought Moon Knight was already Marvel's equivalent of Batman. Black Panther is way cooler than Bats.

Thanos said:
I liked it.

- Thanos
Thank you,.. A comment w/o a critique.

The entire last two years I've been reading Marvel has changed my view of the company.

I find myself easily irritated by what I call lazy thinking on the part of both the company and the readers.

I'm changing my answer to "I liked it" mostly becuase I'm "tired" of "this.

Past experience has proven, (read Priests run) that it won't matter how good it is if Marvel doesn't promote it like they seem to do the lack-luster, the bland, and the "old Favorites"

Peace,.... I'm done.

I really liked the 1st issue. BP is such an awesome character...why hasn't BP been successful as a comic? Seems like it should be a slam dunk for Marvel but I"d bet this series ends up getting canceled in a year.

Manwithoutpeer said:
I really liked the 1st issue. BP is such an awesome character...why hasn't BP been successful as a comic? Seems like it should be a slam dunk for Marvel but I"d bet this series ends up getting canceled in a year.
In my view the problem is two-fold:
Promotion and interpretation.

This is the FIRST TIME I've seen BP promoted this much on a launching.

Prior to this you get the distinct impression:
"Fresh from the house of ideas,.. yet another teen-aged partially nude female with angst - Oh yeah,.. and the Black Panther starts another run."

Interpretation:
No explanation,.. Just putting it out there so the average comic geek is like:
"Black Pather? That's the black dude right? Nah,.. I don't see how that could be interesting,..."

You could be doing Spiderman and this way of doing things will reduce sales.

Too bad too,.. Some of the BEST stuff Written by Marvel Blows Right past the Majority of the fanbase for just that reason.

Varient said:
In my view the problem is two-fold:
Promotion and interpretation.

This is the FIRST TIME I've seen BP promoted this much on a launching.

Prior to this you get the distinct impression:
"Fresh from the house of ideas,.. yet another teen-aged partially nude female with angst - Oh yeah,.. and the Black Panther starts another run."

Interpretation:
No explanation,.. Just putting it out there so the average comic geek is like:
"Black Pather? That's the black dude right? Nah,.. I don't see how that could be interesting,..."

You could be doing Spiderman and this way of doing things will reduce sales.

Too bad too,.. Some of the BEST stuff Written by Marvel Blows Right past the Majority of the fanbase for just that reason.

exactly...If you looked at the Wizard magazines at the time it was out(and I did) look at what was promoted Ultimate this and Ultimate that...No promotion for BP, Thor's awesome run where Odin died and Thor took over...no mention.

BWAHAHHAHAH!!!

taht's going in the mondo funky

Are you seriously the guy who runs that site?

Because I have to say, you are God-damn hilarious.

Oh, and -- Captain America nuking Neverland from orbit?

The only thing not awesome about that is that Mark Millar didn't come up with it first.

I'm in the middle of the The Shield/S.H.I.E.L.D. comic, good stuff

fifthfiend said:
Are you seriously the guy who runs that site?

Because I have to say, you are God-damn hilarious.

Oh, and -- Captain America nuking Neverland from orbit?

The only thing not awesome about that is that Mark Millar didn't come up with it first.

Yep, that's me. Glad you like the site, and thanks for the kind words.

Yeah, one man should never make his own theme park for kids. Kids keep getting hurt at Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. And let's not forget Jurassic Park.

Come to think of it, Cap and Fury should be nuking Wayne Manor. More kids associated to Batman have been harmed.

Well, after reading the last 4 issues of Daredevil (67-70) I've come to the conclusion that Black Panther #1 could have been MUCH better. There isn't (IMHO) a compelling reason to pick up issue #2 other than 1) you're a BP fan and 2) you think there will be value in the second issue.

The art in BP is ok, but IMHO Reginald Hudlin gets a low C- grade for the writing in the first issue. It just isn't up to snuff.

I hope he gets his act together for future issues or this will be a very short lived BP series (just like the Priest series).

Another personal opinion. I'm still waiting for a writer to show the SAVAGE side of the BP character. Sure, he's been educated in the best schools. Still doesn't mean he shouldn't show that Panther ferocity every now and then. Give the guy more of an edge.

Not to the level of a wolverine, but definately have him "really" lose his temper when provoked. He's always so in control.

We saw him beat the Red Skull. He even took the gloves off. To see him get angry, you have to read between the lines.

Yeah, I'd say the Red Skull fight in "Red Zone" showed his ferocious side nicely. He tore the Skull's jaw off, after all.

I went to Priest's site and it was very informative about all the behind the scenes stuff

XBRoughneck said:
Well, after reading the last 4 issues of Daredevil (67-70) I've come to the conclusion that Black Panther #1 could have been MUCH better. There isn't (IMHO) a compelling reason to pick up issue #2 other than 1) you're a BP fan and 2) you think there will be value in the second issue.

The art in BP is ok, but IMHO Reginald Hudlin gets a low C- grade for the writing in the first issue. It just isn't up to snuff.

I hope he gets his act together for future issues or this will be a very short lived BP series (just like the Priest series).

Another personal opinion. I'm still waiting for a writer to show the SAVAGE side of the BP character. Sure, he's been educated in the best schools. Still doesn't mean he shouldn't show that Panther ferocity every now and then. Give the guy more of an edge.

Not to the level of a wolverine, but definately have him "really" lose his temper when provoked. He's always so in control.
Too much of a stereotype.
The Black Panther is supposed to be a king,.. someone who thinks outside the box for the greater good. The Panther Totem is like an office held in addition to being king,... a religious leader.

A man who has thought strategic rigs around Tony Stark is not going to easily bubble over and explode.

Red Mask said:
We saw him beat the Red Skull. He even took the gloves off. To see him get angry, you have to read between the lines.

What issue was that? I'd love to read it.

Good to see he can get ticked every now and then.

The thing about THIS Black Panther run is that you have to realise its being done as a sort of "Year One".

Its not going to be 100% the same as the old origin. Its being updated for a new audience.

I was a huge fan of Priest's run and Hudlin's first issue confused me a little as to where it "fits in". It really doesn't matter though.

I think Hudlin is going to take BP in a very good new direction.

EDIT: Nevermind

so, i finally read the first issue, and here is my take.

i liked it, but a couple things bothered me.

1) the first fight the tribal one. too much modern slang. really poor writing in that sense, very poor. everything else was fine.

2) i understand this is a basic relaunch, which i have mixed feelings about. one, it seems that, and i assume that the history will be basically followed, i dont think there are any major changes, just a retelling to make the new audience feel closer to the character. but they also plan on introducing this panther into the mainstream marvel u. so how do you ignore his ties to the avengers etc.?? i guess that is to be seen.

overall i liked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"